This use of :prologue appeared to me to be very useful.  But for some reason when I try it out it does not work for me.  I just get a message that the code block produced no output and that 'np' is not defined.  Just to check, when I put the import statements directly within my code block it works fine. I am running:  Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-16-g521d7f-elpa Any idea what I'm doing wrong? On 8/6/20 2:12 PM, Ken Mankoff wrote: > Actual example: > > > * Prologue test > :PROPERTIES: > :header-args:python+: :prologue "import numpy as np; import os" > :END: > > #+BEGIN_SRC python :results output > print(np.__version__) > #+END_SRC > > #+RESULTS: > : 1.18.4 > > > > > On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ken Mankoff > wrote: > > What about using :pre or :prologue and setting it at the header or > document level? > > Please excuse brevity. Sent from tiny pocket computer with > non-haptic-feedback keyboard. > > On Wed, Aug 5, 2020, 14:22 George Mauer > wrote: > > Use case: > > I'm using ob-racket >  but this would > apply just as well to a few other workflows I have with python > or js. > > I would like to write a helper function in a src block and > then automatically have access to it in other src blocks > further down the document. I don't really want a stateful > session (nor does ob-racket support sessions) so I essentially > want the equivalent of automatically including it everywhere > so I don't have to type it out all the time (and have it screw > up syntax coloring/indentation). > > Is this currently possible? Does anyone have any ideas for how > to extend things so it is? >