* Make org-iswitchb see all agenda files (not only opened ones)
@ 2014-05-28  8:23 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2014-05-28  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

can I make org-iswitchb consider not only already opened files but all
agenda files, just like org-agenda?

I tried one and two prefix arguments, but org-iswitchb always considers
only files that are already opened.

Thanks!
Florian

* Re: Make org-iswitchb see all agenda files (not only opened ones)
@ 2014-05-28 15:09 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-05-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> can I make org-iswitchb consider not only already opened files but all
> agenda files, just like org-agenda?
>
> I tried one and two prefix arguments, but org-iswitchb always considers
> only files that are already opened.

`org-iswitchb' is restricted to open buffers, but the function below
should have the behavior you want.

#+begin_src elisp
  (defun org-open-agenda-file ()
    (interactive)
    (find-file (org-icompleting-read "Agenda file: " org-agenda-files)))
#+end_src

--
Kyle

* Re: Make org-iswitchb see all agenda files (not only opened ones)
@ 2014-05-28 19:38   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-28 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Florian Lindner, emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> `org-iswitchb' is restricted to open buffers, but the function below
> should have the behavior you want.
>
> #+begin_src elisp
>   (defun org-open-agenda-file ()
>     (interactive)
>     (find-file (org-icompleting-read "Agenda file: " org-agenda-files)))
> #+end_src

(Yes, provided `org-agenda-files' contains only files and not
directories.)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Make org-iswitchb see all agenda files (not only opened ones)
@ 2014-05-28 19:49     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2014-05-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Florian Lindner, emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> `org-iswitchb' is restricted to open buffers, but the function below
>> should have the behavior you want.
>>
>> #+begin_src elisp
>>   (defun org-open-agenda-file ()
>>     (interactive)
>>     (find-file (org-icompleting-read "Agenda file: " org-agenda-files)))
>> #+end_src
>
> (Yes, provided `org-agenda-files' contains only files and not
> directories.)

Yes, that's a good point.

Thanks

--
Kyle

* Re: Make org-iswitchb see all agenda files (not only opened ones)
@ 2014-05-29  2:58       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-05-29  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hi Kyle,
>>
>> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>>
>>> `org-iswitchb' is restricted to open buffers, but the function below
>>> should have the behavior you want.
>>>
>>> #+begin_src elisp
>>>   (defun org-open-agenda-file ()
>>>     (interactive)
>>>     (find-file (org-icompleting-read "Agenda file: " org-agenda-files)))
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> (Yes, provided `org-agenda-files' contains only files and not
>> directories.)
>
> Yes, that's a good point.
>
> Thanks

I occasionally wanted to have Org "preloaded", so that right after
starting emacs I could go to Org files, or run an agenda command with
all the tags and TODO keywords present for completion. It turned out to
be pretty simple:

(defun my-preload-org ()
  (interactive)
  (org-agenda-prepare-buffers
   (org-agenda-files)))

Which I add to the after-init-hook. Seems to work just fine.

Eric