* org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-13 13:19 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-13 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode mode

Org-mode 5.03 is out.

As usual Emacs CVS and http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org

Enjoy.

- Carsten

Changes in version 5.03
-----------------------

* Incompatible Changes

   - The variable `org-special-ctrl-a' has been renamed to
     `org-special-ctrl-a/e'.  The old one is still an alias (but
     not on Emacs 21 where variable aliases cannot be defined).

* Details

   - When the variable `org-special-ctrl-a/e' is set, C-e in a
     headline first goes to the end of the headline ignoring the
     tags.  A second C-e then goes to after the tags.  Thanks
     to Scott Jaderholm for this idea.

   - Typing and removing single characters in a headline now
     keeps the tags in the headline aligned.  This could have a
     little impact on performance while deleting stuff - let me
     know if we need to make this customizable.

   - New option `org-n-level-faces' can be used to set the number
     of different faces that are used for headlines.  Default is
     all 8 faces Org-mode defines for this purpose, level 9 uses
     again the level-1 face.  However, you can use fewer, and then
     the level-1 face will be reused already for level N+1, etc.

   - Column View and hidestars now work together.

   - Bug fixes.

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-13 15:22 ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-07-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 7/13/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>    - When the variable `org-special-ctrl-a/e' is set, C-e in a
>      headline first goes to the end of the headline ignoring the
>      tags.  A second C-e then goes to after the tags.  Thanks
>      to Scott Jaderholm for this idea.

Carsten, thanks for the quick implementation. There are a couple of
issues however:
- Running Emacs 22.0.95, if I have org-special-ctrl-a set to t, I
don't get the special ctrl-e behavior.
- If I have org-special-ctrl-a/e set, then Ctrl-e works fine if there
is a tag, but if there isn't a tag C-e takes you to the beginning of
the line.

Thanks again,

Scott

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-13 16:13   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-13 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Jaderholm; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 13, 2007, at 17:22, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> On 7/13/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>>    - When the variable `org-special-ctrl-a/e' is set, C-e in a
>>      headline first goes to the end of the headline ignoring the
>>      tags.  A second C-e then goes to after the tags.  Thanks
>>      to Scott Jaderholm for this idea.
>
> Carsten, thanks for the quick implementation. There are a couple of
> issues however:
> - Running Emacs 22.0.95, if I have org-special-ctrl-a set to t, I
> don't get the special ctrl-e behavior.

And I guess also no special C-a behavior?  Maybe the alias has to be
defined before it set,  I don't know.  Everyone, just switch to the
new variable, to be on the safe side.

> - If I have org-special-ctrl-a/e set, then Ctrl-e works fine if there
> is a tag, but if there isn't a tag C-e takes you to the beginning of
> the line.

Bummer.  This is fixed in 5.03b, already up both in CVS and
on my website.  Thanks for the fast report!

- Carsten

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-13 16:47     ` timotheus
From: timotheus @ 2007-07-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> Bummer.  This is fixed in 5.03b, already up both in CVS and
> on my website.  Thanks for the fast report!
>
> - Carsten

Hi Carsten,

It would great if the Org-Mode Homepage mentioned that its head revision
is kept in official Emacs CVS -- and which branch. (MAIN?). I used to
think that the CVS version significantly lagged behind releases. Thanks.

Regards,
-timotheus

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-13 18:47       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-13 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timotheus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 13, 2007, at 18:47, timotheus wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>> Bummer.  This is fixed in 5.03b, already up both in CVS and
>> on my website.  Thanks for the fast report!
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> It would great if the Org-Mode Homepage mentioned that its head
> revision
> is kept in official Emacs CVS -- and which branch. (MAIN?). I used to
> think that the CVS version significantly lagged behind releases.
> Thanks.

This used to be the case because of the feature freeze before the
22.1 release.  Currently both releases are in synch.

OK, I'll put this on the home page.  Thanks.

- Carsten

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-14  8:01         ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-14  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jul 13, 2007, at 18:47, timotheus wrote:

[...]

> This used to be the case because of the feature freeze before the
> 22.1 release.  Currently both releases are in synch.
>
> OK, I'll put this on the home page.  Thanks.
>
> - Carsten

Is there a place where I can get a CVS checkout of the latest
version?  I'd rather do a  CVS up than downloading the zip or gzip
file.  That is, if you allow anon. read access to the CVS repo.

 sivaram

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-15 20:51       ` Christian Schlauer
From: Christian Schlauer @ 2007-07-15 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

timotheus <timotheus@tstotts.net> writes:

> It would great if the Org-Mode Homepage mentioned that its head revision
> is kept in official Emacs CVS -- and which branch. (MAIN?).

I haven't checked, but Carsten probably commits to the trunk or head
(or how it is called).

I think it would be nice if Emacs 22.2 would have a newer org.el than
4.67, but I don't know who (besides RMS) decides what changes on the
trunk/head will go into the branch EMACS_22_BASE (from which Emacs
22.2 will be released).

--
Christian Schlauer

* Re: Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-07-16  6:50         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-16  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cs-usenet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 15, 2007, at 22:51, Christian Schlauer wrote:

> timotheus <timotheus@tstotts.net> writes:
>
>> It would great if the Org-Mode Homepage mentioned that its head
>> revision
>> is kept in official Emacs CVS -- and which branch. (MAIN?).
>
> I haven't checked, but Carsten probably commits to the trunk or head
> (or how it is called).

Yes.

> I think it would be nice if Emacs 22.2 would have a newer org.el than
> 4.67, but I don't know who (besides RMS) decides what changes on the
> trunk/head will go into the branch EMACS_22_BASE (from which Emacs
> 22.2 will be released).

I am sure it will have a much newer version.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-08-18  7:50           ` Christian Schlauer
From: Christian Schlauer @ 2007-08-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jul 15, 2007, at 22:51, Christian Schlauer wrote:
>> I think it would be nice if Emacs 22.2 would have a newer org.el than
>> 4.67, but I don't know who (besides RMS) decides what changes on the
>> trunk/head will go into the branch EMACS_22_BASE (from which Emacs
>> 22.2 will be released).
>
> I am sure it will have a much newer version.

A CVS update of the EMACS_22_BASE branch from this morning still gives

,----
| ;; Version: 4.67d
|
| [...]
|
| (defvar org-version "4.67c"
`----

I guess it shouldn't be a problem to get a new version into the branch
-- from the NEWS file:

,----[ C-h N ]
| * New Modes and Packages in Emacs 22.2
|
| ** The new package css-mode.el provides a major mode for editing CSS files.
|
| ** The new package vera-mode.el provides a major mode for editing Vera files.
|
| ** The new package socks.el implements the SOCKS v5 protocol.
|
| ** VC
`----

So if new packages are installed, I hope an Org-mode update is okay
with RMS. By the way: RMS wants to release 22.2 "soon":
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/75959>. From what I read
on emacs-devel they want 22.2 out in order to start merging two
branches into the trunk.

Christian Schlauer

* Re: Re: org-mode version 5.03
@ 2007-08-24  2:54           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-08-24  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: cs-usenet, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 16, 2007, at 8:50, Carsten Dominik wrote:

>> I think it would be nice if Emacs 22.2 would have a newer org.el than
>> 4.67, but I don't know who (besides RMS) decides what changes on the
>> trunk/head will go into the branch EMACS_22_BASE (from which Emacs
>> 22.2 will be released).
>
> I am sure it will have a much newer version.

Turns out that I cannot put new features into Emacs 22, so Emacs 22
ist stuck with 4.67c :-(

- Carsten