* ANN: org-mac-protocol, let's try again
@ 2009-07-21  0:03 Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-21  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Apologies to the early adopters to whom I sold some dummies.

Hopefully this should work better.

(I had so much residual stuff sitting in memory that I was under the
false impression that everything just worked TM)

The installer is, I'm afraid, 10.5 only.

The manual includes, um, manual installation instructions for 10.4.

Available from:

http://claviclaws.net/org/

or

git://github.com/claviclaws/org-mac-protocol.git

Best wishes,

Christopher

* Re: ANN: org-mac-protocol, let's try again
@ 2009-07-21 19:15 ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-21 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: Org Mode List

Chris,I figured out what my issue was last night.  My org-mode 6.25 was
stomping on my git clone of 6.28b.  With that fixed i can get it to work...
with only links.
With notes and remember i get the following error every time; any clues?

Process *tramp/scp org-protocol* exited abnormally with code 255

@ 2009-07-21 23:33   ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-21 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:15:09 -0400, Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> wrote:

> Chris,I figured out what my issue was last night.  My org-mode 6.25 was
> stomping on my git clone of 6.28b.  With that fixed i can get it to work...
> with only links.
> With notes and remember i get the following error every time; any clues?
>
> Process *tramp/scp org-protocol* exited abnormally with code 255

Greg, I did come across this. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of
when or where and can't reproduce it this evening.

I have a suspicion, but only a suspicion, that it may have resulted from
a (now fixed) tramp bug in CVS Emacs. I last complied on 15 July. Could
this be a possibility?

[There are gaps in the above logic; I can't figure out why org-link
should work whilst org-note and org-remember bork. I'm clutching at
straws. No idea why it is so fragile.]

@ 2009-07-23  9:47     ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-07-23  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Suckling; +Cc: Org Mode List

I'm using 23.x pretests and haven't updated in almost a month so mine is
probably much older than yours.  I am running 6.28b of org which I think you
are too.  Not sure what the issue is.

@ 2009-07-23 13:49       ` Christopher Suckling
From: Christopher Suckling @ 2009-07-23 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 05:47:14 -0400, Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> wrote:

> I'm using 23.x pretests and haven't updated in almost a month so mine is
> probably much older than yours.  I am running 6.28b of org which I think you
> are too.  Not sure what the issue is.

Got it (I think)...

org-mac-protocol.el still isn't loading.

What is happening is:

org-link.scpt doesn't require org-mac-protocol.el - it just uses the

org-protocol:/store-link:/

protocol which is defined in org-protocol.el

However, org-note.scpt and org-remember.scpt use the

org-protocol:/mac-remember:/

protocol which is defined in org-mac-protocol.el (along with frame
moving and application switching functions).

But, org-mac-protocol.el hasn't loaded.

So emacsclient trys to open the file :/mac-remember:/z/foo/bar which
tramp intercepts and the barfs on.

I'm not sure why org-mac-protocol.el is not loading. But my guess is
that the variable org-remember-templates is not set when you try to load
org-mac-protocol.el and so it barfs on the (add-to-list
'org-remember-templates ...).

Relevant section of my .emacs looks like:

,----
| (autoload 'remember "remember" "remember mode" t)
| (load "~/.emacs.d/remember-init")
| ;; assorted remember initializations including
| (setq org-remember-templates '((my templates)))
|
| (setq org-modules '(org-bibtex org-id org-info org-mac-message org-mac-iCal org-w3m org-elisp-symbol org-protocol org-mac-protocol org-gnus org-jsinfo))
|
| (require 'org-install)
| (add-hook 'org-load-hook
| 	  (lambda ()
| 	    (load "~/.emacs.d/org-init"))) ;; all my org settings
`----

If this helps, I'll either rewrite the documentation of remove the
(add-to-list 'org-remember-templates ... ) and ask users to add their
own templates.

Christopher