Hi, personally, I find tracking information through TODO keywords rather unappealing. There are two reasons: the first one is that you may loose information. For instance, if you use "TO-READ", "To- BUY", "READ" to track your books, does that mean that every item that is marked "READ" is related to a book in your possession? What about books you read that you borrowed from the library or a good friend? Once you change to the final keyword, you loose track of the former ones. I do believe that is is better to use properties and/or tags for this. Secondly, since I store everything in my journal, I would end up (and at some point, I did) with TOREAD / READ; UNVISITED / VISITED (locations); UNTESTED / TESTED (e.g., food recipes, code, ...) and so on. I found that rather unappealing as it is based on the content of the item. Today, my keyword is simply "TODO" and I tag the headline "ARTICLE" or "BOOK". If I want to query books that I still need to read, I will filter on tags and TODO item. (This also allows me to search for articles I still need to read but exclude books.) Since you are also talking about articles: the CLI tool org_attach can fetch data and pdfs (when accessible) based on DOIs, bibtex files, URLs, ...: https://github.com/Ezibenroc/org_attach org_attach bib 10.1137/0206024 would look up the DOI and create an entry in the org-mode file automatically, including a bibtex section; in some cases (when it can find it), it even downloads the PDF and attaches it. Further tips: there are tools like org-noter and org-pdftools (combined through org-noter-pdftools) that can help you with taking notes. When you set up an org-capture template, consider putting it into its own file and reading it via (file "path/to/your/template" ); makes your init.el a bit tidier. Third advice: you may want to add a property called "GENRE"; and in some cases, you may want to limit the entries via the _ALL option. So for example, you list all genres through #+PROPERTY: GENRE_ALL genre1 genre2 genre3 Other values will then not be permitted for that property. Best regards Christian On Mon, 2022-05-16 at 23:22 +0200, Sébastien Gendre wrote: > Hello. > > I want to use Org-mode to manage a reading list and I'm looking for > tips. > > My goals are to: >   * List books and articles I want to read >   * Track books I have to buy and which I already own >   * Track books and articles I have read >   * Take notes on books I have read > > The following is what I plan to do. > > The idea is to use an Org-mode heading for each book and the > properties of the books become the ones of the Org-mode heading. The > synopsis of the book can be in the body of the heading. > > Example: > #+begin_example > > * TO-READ Four Futures - Life After Capitalism > :PROPERTIES: > :Title:         Four Futures - Life After Capitalism > :Author:        Peter Frase > :Score:         > :Publisher:     Verso Books > :Release_date:  Unknown > :Link:          https://www.versobooks.com/books/1847-four-futures > :Pages:         > :END: > > An exhilarating exploration into the utopias and dystopias that > could develop from present society > > #+end_example > > I can then structure my Org-mode file like I want. Here, the first > level headings are: >   * Articles >   * Books > > In the "Books" heading I have the headings "Non-fiction" and > "Fiction". > > To track the status of the books, I set the following for the Org-mode > file: >   * TO-GET >   * TO-READ >   * READING >   * READ (DONE state) > > For adding new books, I can use Org-capture with a custom template. > The captured book can be saved inside an "Inbox" Org-mode file, then > moved to its destination heading with Org-refile. > > For searching a book inside the file, I can use "Sparse Trees" or > Org-ql. > > If I get the digital version of the book, I can attach it to its > corresponding heading with Org-attach. > > And for taking notes, I can create headings inside the book heading. > Using Emacs narrow to focus on it. If I get the digital version of the > book, I can use Org-noter. > > End of description. > > > Do you have any suggestions or idea ? > > I don't know how to manage books with several volumes. > Do I create a heading for each volumes ? > Do I create one heading for the whole collection ? > > The first is easy with 2 or 3 volumes, but not when I got 23 or more in a collection. > > Do you have idea to manage borrowing and loaning books ? > > Thank you in advance. :) > > > Best regards >