From: Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Headings and Headlines
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:56:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On 7/23/21 10:06 PM, Tim Cross wrote:

> André A. Gomes <andremegafone@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The project's documentation refers to headings and headlines as
>> synonyms.  Relying on a single definition would be beneficial.  If I had
>> to choose between the two, I'd go with heading.
>>
>> If the community finds this valuable, I could prepare a patch.
>>

> I think heading is better than headline - to me headline is a line at
> the top of the buffer (like a newpaper headline). Note that in addition
> to changes in the manual, it will probably be necessary to make changes
> to variable and function names in the code. This may require marking
> some old names as obsolete and creating aliases to allow a transition to
> the new names and avoid breakage etc.

Since org requires outline.el, org.el line 4793, why not follow and
mirror outline.el conventions?

It appears that outline.el uses
`
	"header" for some early set-up(?) functions and

	"heading" for what appears to provide the outline itself.

Furthermore, "headline" shows up only in comments, and only four or five
times, at that.

After all, org is an, "Outline-based notes management and organize."

Best,

Charlie Millar