* IDEA: Export LaTeX
@ 2007-06-04 15:11 Mikael Djurfeldt
From: Mikael Djurfeldt @ 2007-06-04 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Mikael Djurfeldt

I just discovered org-mode in Emacs 22---what a great piece of software!

Would it qualify as an IDEA for implementation to add LaTeX as an export format?

I want to use org-mode's advanced table and calculation capabilities
to produce LaTeX-tables aimed for type-setting, but it seems to me
that org-mode can only export HTML-tables and not produce LaTeX code.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Mikael Djurfeldt

* Re: IDEA: Export LaTeX
@ 2007-06-05 12:38 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-05 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mikael; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 4, 2007, at 17:11, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:

> I just discovered org-mode in Emacs 22---what a great piece of
> software!
>
> Would it qualify as an IDEA for implementation to add LaTeX as an
> export format?
>
> I want to use org-mode's advanced table and calculation capabilities
> to produce LaTeX-tables aimed for type-setting, but it seems to me
> that org-mode can only export HTML-tables and not produce LaTeX code.

Even though this is a frequent request, LaTeX export of entire
org-mode documents has not yet been realized.

You can, however, embed an org-mode table into a LaTeX document, use
org-mode commands to edit it and to execute calculations in it,
and then convert it to LaTeX that will be processed correctly.
I am using this all the time when I make exercises for my students,
including computing results.

The version of Org-mode distributed with Emacs 22 can do this.

See

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html#Tables-in-
arbitrary-syntax

and for a direct LaTeX example

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org/org.html#A-LaTeX-example

- Carsten

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Best regards,
> Mikael Djurfeldt

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: IDEA: Export LaTeX
@ 2007-06-05 17:47   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-06-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: mikael, emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten, Mikael and list,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jun 4, 2007, at 17:11, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
>
>> Would it qualify as an IDEA for implementation to add LaTeX as an export
>> format?
>
> Even though this is a frequent request, LaTeX export of entire
> org-mode documents has not yet been realized.

I've been working on it last week.  It's quite rudimentary for now but
still functionnal.  I'm debugging it and making it "readable" and i'll
announce it on this list next week.

--
Bastien

* Re: IDEA: Export LaTeX
@ 2007-06-06  7:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-06  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: mikael, emacs-orgmode

I am really excited about this.

- Carsten

--

@ 2007-07-01  0:24     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-07-01  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 05/06/2007, Bastien wrote:
>>> Would it qualify as an IDEA for implementation to add LaTeX as an
>>> export format?
>>
>> Even though this is a frequent request, LaTeX export of entire
>> org-mode documents has not yet been realized.
>
> I've been working on it last week.  It's quite rudimentary for now but
> still functionnal.  I'm debugging it and making it "readable" and i'll
> announce it on this list next week.

News?