* Abbreviations support
@ 2022-06-03 19:45 Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-03 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hi everyone,
is there support for abbreviations in org-mode? Something like what the
acro package provides for latex, i.e., assemble a list of all used
abbreviations, use a full form when an abbreviation is used for the
first time, the abbreviated form afterwards. If that does not exist:
What would be a good way to approach that?
Best,
Denis

* Re: Abbreviations support
@ 2022-06-04 10:09 ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2022-06-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Denis Maier; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Denis,

> Is there support for abbreviations in org-mode? Something like what the acro
> package provides for latex, i.e., assemble a list of all used abbreviations, use
> a full form when an abbreviation is used for the first time, the abbreviated
> form afterwards. If that does not exist: What would be a good way to approach
> that?

Not directly, but I think you could do something like this as a halfway-house:

┌────
│ Blah blah text ABBR
│
│ * Abbreviations
│
│ - <<<ABBR>>> :: Some abbreviation
│ ...
└────

I’d think there’s scope for a package say “org-abbreviations” which provides
acro-like support. Perhaps even support for a central abbreviations file. Hmm, I
may think of trying a small MVP for that this weekend.

All the best,
Timothy

* Re: Abbreviations support
@ 2022-06-04 16:11   ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2022-06-04 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: Denis Maier, emacs-orgmode

Org-ref supports this for glossaries and acronyms. See
https://youtu.be/sebs2vSIEk4 For an overview.

--
John

-----------------------------------
Professor John Kitchin (he/him/his)
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
@johnkitchin
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

* Re: Abbreviations support
@ 2022-06-06 11:18     ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-06 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin, Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for the hint!
Denis

@ 2022-06-06 11:20   ` Denis Maier
From: Denis Maier @ 2022-06-06 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timothy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Timothy,
thanks for looking into this. A package "org-abbreviations" or so would
be truly awesome. Have you had a chance to look into a MVP? Let me know
if I can help somehow.
Best,
Denis

Am 04.06.2022 um 12:09 schrieb Timothy:
> Hi Denis,
>
>> Is there support for abbreviations in org-mode? Something like what the acro
>> package provides for latex, i.e., assemble a list of all used abbreviations, use
>> a full form when an abbreviation is used for the first time, the abbreviated
>> form afterwards. If that does not exist: What would be a good way to approach
>> that?
> Not directly, but I think you could do something like this as a halfway-house:
>
> ┌────
> │ Blah blah text ABBR
> │
> │ * Abbreviations
> │
> │ - <<<ABBR>>> :: Some abbreviation
> │ ...
> └────
>
> I’d think there’s scope for a package say “org-abbreviations” which provides
> acro-like support. Perhaps even support for a central abbreviations file. Hmm, I
> may think of trying a small MVP for that this weekend.
>
> All the best,
> Timothy

* Re: Abbreviations support
@ 2022-06-06 11:20     ` Timothy