* Clocking feature request
@ 2010-03-04 20:00 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-03-04 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi all,

Sorry to have some answers delayed. I have troubles accessing Gmane from
certain locations... hence, almost can't access Org-mode (yes, I know, but I
don't like the ML style -- I prefer newsgroups).

So, to come back to my title, I have a feature request around clocking.

Currently, we know how much time we spend on tasks since the beginning (it
depends the file contents). For example, having one clock file per month, I
always see in the modeline how much time I spent reading mails since March
1st.

Though, I think it'd be very interesting to know how much time I spent reading
mails *today* as well. This can help me distributing my work better.

So, I think seeing something like `[0:37 / 2:25 (Emails and News)]' would be
very nice.

What do you think, all?  Is it easy to implement?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Clocking feature request
@ 2010-03-05  7:03 ` moabi2000
From: moabi2000 @ 2010-03-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Putting this under each task you clock in will give you time today.

:PROPERTIES:
 :CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL: today
:END:

I don't you can show both time to today and time for the file at once
though.

HTH.

@ 2010-03-05 17:47 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2010-03-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

2010/3/5 Sébastien Vauban :
> Hi all,
>
> Sorry to have some answers delayed. I have troubles accessing Gmane from
> certain locations... hence, almost can't access Org-mode (yes, I know, but I
> don't like the ML style -- I prefer newsgroups).
>
> So, to come back to my title, I have a feature request around clocking.
>
> Currently, we know how much time we spend on tasks since the beginning (it
> depends the file contents). For example, having one clock file per month, I
> always see in the modeline how much time I spent reading mails since March
> 1st.
>
> Though, I think it'd be very interesting to know how much time I spent reading
> mails *today* as well. This can help me distributing my work better.

please check out variable org-clock-modeline-total.  and a clock
report can show the time for monthly time consumption.

--
manish

* Re: Clocking feature request
@ 2010-03-07 10:38   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-03-07 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Moabi2000 and Manish,

Manish wrote:
> Moabi2000 wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban :
>>> I have a feature request around clocking.
>>>
>>> Currently, we know how much time we spend on tasks since the beginning (it
>>> depends the file contents). For example, having one clock file per month,
>>> I always see in the modeline how much time I spent reading mails since
>>> March 1st.
>>>
>>> Though, I think it'd be very interesting to know how much time I spent
>>> reading mails *today* as well. This can help me distributing my work
>>> better.
>>
>> Putting this under each task you clock in will give you time today.
>>
>> :PROPERTIES:
>>  :CLOCK_MODELINE_TOTAL: today
>> :END:
>>
>> I don't you can show both time to today and time for the file at once
>> though.
>
> please check out variable org-clock-modeline-total.  and a clock
> report can show the time for monthly time consumption.

Thanks for your answers, which both show me that I can override the default
globally and per item.

I guess that not seeing both together won't be such a problem (I'll see with
usage but...) as we can have reports quickly generated.

Thank you very much!

Though, the only *remaining nice feature* would maybe be the following: add a
letter indicating what's the meaning of the total. For example, we could see

    `T 02:51 (Reading Emails)'

for a total limited to *today* and

    `M 02:51 (Reading Emails)'

for a total limited to *monthly*.

What do you think of that?  Otherwise, it becomes difficult to distinguish
between locally overridden totals and the global default value...

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: Clocking feature request
@ 2010-03-07 19:58     ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2010-03-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

El dom, mar 07 2010 a les 11:38, Sébastien Vauban va escriure:

> Though, the only *remaining nice feature* would maybe be the following: add a
> letter indicating what's the meaning of the total. For example, we could see
>
>     `T 02:51 (Reading Emails)'
>
> for a total limited to *today* and
> …

  I think all this would be easier to implement if the modeline string could be the result of a user-defined function. Then the user could add some letters according to some property, or show one particular time, or another, or more than one, etc.

* Re: Re: Clocking feature request
@ 2010-03-09 16:11       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-03-09 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode