* unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-24 13:39 James Yoo
From: James Yoo @ 2009-06-24 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Linking back to the front page via the main logo is pretty standard, or at
least that's what I've come to expect... is there a particular reason why
the unicorn graphic does not?

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-24 15:00 ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-06-24 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Yoo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

One reason is that this picture is a background.

@ 2009-06-24 15:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-24 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Yoo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

James Yoo <james.yoo@gmail.com> writes:

> Linking back to the front page via the main logo is pretty standard, or at
> least that's what I've come to expect... is there a particular reason why the
> unicorn graphic does not?

I agree it would be convenient.  But the image logo is inserted as a
background image in the .css and I don't know how to turn such an image
into a clickable link.

This page might help:

http://webdevnews.net/2007/01/css-trick-turning-a-background-image-into-a-clickable-link/

... but it's currently unavailable.

Any idea?

--
 Bastien

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-24 16:34   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-24 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

The page seems to work for me at the moment.  Would you like me to
save it and send it to you?

--
Manish

@ 2009-06-24 17:26   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-24 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

We could try to position a div element over the background-image:

  Sebastian

@ 2009-06-24 17:31     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

> The page seems to work for me at the moment.  Would you like me to
> save it and send it to you?

Thanks - Greg gave me instructions and the logo should be clickable
now.

--
 Bastien

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-24 18:17       ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-06-24 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

You're welcome.Fixed works too.  Absolute can act goofy if the main body and
starting div aren't set to absolute.  I should have known better.
Sebastion: divs work too on some browsers.  Some browsers (cough) IE will
sometimes collapse them if they have no content.  I've  always had better
luck with a transparent image.

Bastien.  Works great for me on Safari.

Cheers,

*Greg Newman*

http://20seven.org

twitter: 20seven

@ 2009-06-24 19:17           ` James Yoo
From: James Yoo @ 2009-06-24 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

I almost feel guilty for bringing it up....

@ 2009-06-24 19:19         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-24 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Newman; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, James Yoo

@ 2009-06-24 19:28           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-24 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>> You're welcome.Fixed works too.  Absolute can act goofy if the main body and
>> starting div aren't set to absolute.  I should have known better.
> [1]
>
> Fixed will not work in IE. It will scroll out of view if you scroll the
> page.
>
> See the bottom of org.css on how add the `absolute' positioning for IE
> only (the simple way...). [2]

You guys are experts in this field - Sebastian, would you take a chance
and try to fix the logo-link class?  Only if you think it's worth the
trouble...  for now we have a link for most browsers, and this is *not*
a core feature...

@James: yes, you can feel guilty :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25  4:43             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-25  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 24, 2009, at 9:28 PM, Bastien wrote:

> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Greg Newman <greg@20seven.org> writes:
>>> You're welcome.Fixed works too.  Absolute can act goofy if the
>>> main body and
>>> starting div aren't set to absolute.  I should have known better.
>> [1]
>>
>> Fixed will not work in IE. It will scroll out of view if you scroll
>> the
>> page.
>>
>> See the bottom of org.css on how add the `absolute' positioning for
>> IE
>> only (the simple way...). [2]
>
> You guys are experts in this field - Sebastian, would you take a
> chance
> and try to fix the logo-link class?  Only if you think it's worth the
> trouble...  for now we have a link for most browsers, and this is
> *not*
> a core feature...
>
> @James: yes, you can feel guilty :)

What would be wrong with pulling the image out of the
background and making it directly clickable?

- Carsten

@ 2009-06-25 13:02               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-25 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode

> What would be wrong with pulling the image out of the
> background and making it directly clickable?

None, I've done this.

--
 Bastien

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 14:27                   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-25 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, James Yoo

On Jun 25, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> What would be wrong with pulling the image out of the
>>> background and making it directly clickable?
>>
>> None, I've done this.

Great.  I am also more comfortable with this because invisible
clicking areas are notoriously used by fishing sites to make users
believe they click one thing, and in fact they click another.

At least this is how I interpret what I hear.  Lets try to keep
things transparent.....

- Carsten

@ 2009-06-25 14:28                 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-25 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

@ 2009-06-25 14:53                   ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-06-25 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: Bastien, Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode, James Yoo

  On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
  > Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
  >> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
  >>
  >>> What would be wrong with pulling the image out of the
  >>> background and making it directly clickable?
  >>
  >> None, I've done this.
  >
  > :-D
  >
  > good idea.. :)
  >
  > I'll re-check the IE stuff tonight.

You may check the latest screenshots of Org home page at
http://www.vyom.org/screenshots

--
Manish

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 15:02                     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-06-25 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, James Yoo

> On Jun 25, 2009, at 4:28 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>
>> Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> None, I've done this.
>
> Great.  I am also more comfortable with this because invisible
> clicking areas are notoriously used by fishing sites to make users
> believe they click one thing, and in fact they click another.
>
> At least this is how I interpret what I hear.  Lets try to keep
> things transparent.....
          ^^^^^^^^^^
          you mean opaque ;)

It's the invisible clicky things that are the problem :)

-Bernt

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 15:10                       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-06-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode, James Yoo

On Jun 25, 2009, at 5:02 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>> Great.  I am also more comfortable with this because invisible
>> clicking areas are notoriously used by fishing sites to make users
>> believe they click one thing, and in fact they click another.
>>
>> At least this is how I interpret what I hear.  Lets try to keep
>> things transparent.....
>          ^^^^^^^^^^
>          you mean opaque ;)

Great catch!

- Carsten

> It's the invisible clicky things that are the problem :)
>
> -Bernt

* Re: Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 16:39                         ` Greg Newman
From: Greg Newman @ 2009-06-25 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: James Yoo, Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode, Bastien

Glad to hear you guys worked this out.  I agree with Carsten that the image
itself is/was the preferred method.I don't agree that transparent images are
a problem but that's for a different topic/thread.  It looks great on my end
guys!

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com

@ 2009-06-25 17:03                     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-25 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:

>   > I'll re-check the IE stuff tonight.
>
> You may check the latest screenshots of Org home page at
> http://www.vyom.org/screenshots

Uh - that's bad in IE.

Sebastian can you update this .css class to make it work ok
in IE?

,----
| .logo-link {
|       position: fixed;
|       top: 10px;
|       left: 30px;
| }
`----

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 17:16                       ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-06-25 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: James Yoo, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com> writes:
> Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   > I'll re-check the IE stuff tonight.
>>
>> You may check the latest screenshots of Org home page at
>> http://www.vyom.org/screenshots
>
> Uh - that's bad in IE.
>
> Sebastian can you update this .css class to make it work ok
> in IE?
>
> ,----
> | .logo-link {
> |       position: fixed;
> |       top: 10px;
> |       left: 30px;
> | }
> `----

Add this at the end of the style sheet:

* html .logo-link
{
    position: absolute;
    top: 10px;
    left: 30px;
}

This works in IE 6 on XP. It's the same make up as for the other style
classes that have a fixed position.

(If we do more of those, maybe a second stylesheet is even better. There
are simple tags that only IE reads in the <head> section and thus can
include an additional stylesheet. That stylesheet could be even more
specific then.)

Best wishes

    Sebastian

* Re: unicorn image is not a link back to the front page on orgmode.org
@ 2009-06-25 23:51                         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-06-25 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes: