* Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-22 23:15 Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm using org-mode 6.25e right now, and I've turned on the functionality
to track todo state changes. If I create a list item (M-ENTER) and then
change it to a TODO (C-c C-t), it correctly puts the state change in the
:LOGBOOK: drawer as I've configured it.

However, if I use M-S-ENTER to combine the above two steps into one
(create a "TODO" item), it does NOT create an entry in the LOGBOOK for
State "TODO" from "" at all. Is that a bug?

Thanks,
Keith

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-26  8:23 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-05-26  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Swartz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Keith Swartz wrote:

> I'm using org-mode 6.25e right now, and I've turned on the functionality to
> track todo state changes. If I create a list item (M-ENTER) and then change
> it to a TODO (C-c C-t), it correctly puts the state change in the
> :LOGBOOK: drawer as I've configured it.
>
> However, if I use M-S-ENTER to combine the above two steps into one (create
> a "TODO" item), it does NOT create an entry in the LOGBOOK for State
> "TODO" from "" at all. Is that a bug?

IMO, this is not really a state change.

--
Manish

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-26  8:46   ` Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-26  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-26 13:51   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-26 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

On May 26, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Manish wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Keith Swartz wrote:
>>
>> I'm using org-mode 6.25e right now, and I've turned on the
>> functionality to
>> track todo state changes. If I create a list item (M-ENTER) and
>> then change
>> it to a TODO (C-c C-t), it correctly puts the state change in the
>> :LOGBOOK: drawer as I've configured it.
>>
>> However, if I use M-S-ENTER to combine the above two steps into one
>> (create
>> a "TODO" item), it does NOT create an entry in the LOGBOOK for State
>> "TODO" from "" at all. Is that a bug?
>
> IMO, this is not really a state change.

In interesting point, and something up for discussion.

I personally am neter interesting in recording a time stamp when first
switching an item to TODO.  Furthermore, for other state changes I
prefer to record a note.
However, M-S-RET is really meant for fast adding of one or more TODO
entries, and being prompted for a state change note would be really
annoying here.

Up for discussion, I am willing to install a variable here....

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-26 14:18     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-05-26 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

  On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Carsten Dominik wrote:

  > On May 26, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Manish wrote:
  >
  >> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Keith Swartz wrote:
  >>>
  >>> I'm using org-mode 6.25e right now, and I've turned on the
functionality to
  >>> track todo state changes. If I create a list item (M-ENTER) and
then change
  >>> it to a TODO (C-c C-t), it correctly puts the state change in the
  >>> :LOGBOOK: drawer as I've configured it.
  >>>
  >>> However, if I use M-S-ENTER to combine the above two steps into
one (create
  >>> a "TODO" item), it does NOT create an entry in the LOGBOOK for State
  >>> "TODO" from "" at all. Is that a bug?
  >>
  >> IMO, this is not really a state change.
  >
  > In interesting point, and something up for discussion.
  >

  > I personally am neter interesting in recording a time stamp when
  > first switching an item to TODO. Furthermore, for other state
  > changes I prefer to record a note.  However, M-S-RET is really meant
  > for fast adding of one or more TODO entries, and being prompted for
  > a state change note would be really annoying here.
  >
  > Up for discussion, I am willing to install a variable here....

Well, if you make it an option then all arguments die anyways.  :)
Personally, I also prefer to take a note upon certain state changes.

Manish

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-27  8:43     ` Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-27  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

I can see where M-S-ENTER prompting for a status note change would be
annoying. Personally, I don't use that feature, so I didn't think of
that -- I'm more interested in the timestamps. Basically, I like being
able to record /when/ something was first entered as a todo item --
gives me a good way to see which items are the oldest.

One thought is to record the state change, but default the status note
to "TODO created", rather than prompting for it.

Then again, maybe a variable is the best answer here, because sooner or
later, somebody is going to want to change that. Normally, I'd hate to
add more and more variables just to complicate things, but org-mode
seems to have no shortage of them. (That's a good thing!) :)

Thanks,
Keith

@ 2009-05-27 13:42       ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-27 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Swartz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

<reordered (and wrapped) the email to remove top-posting>

Keith Swartz <gnu@oneroad.com> writes:

> Carsten Dominik wrote:

>>> IMO, this is not really a state change.
>>
>> In interesting point, and something up for discussion.
>>
>> I personally am neter interesting in recording a time stamp when
>> first switching an item to TODO.  Furthermore, for other state
>> changes I prefer to record a note.
>> However, M-S-RET is really meant for fast adding of one or more TODO
>> entries, and being prompted for a state change note would be really
>> annoying here.
>>
>> Up for discussion, I am willing to install a variable here....
>
> I can see where M-S-ENTER prompting for a status note change would be
> annoying. Personally, I don't use that feature, so I didn't think of
> that -- I'm more interested in the timestamps. Basically, I like being
> able to record /when/ something was first entered as a todo item --
> gives me a good way to see which items are the oldest.
>
> One thought is to record the state change, but default the status note
> to "TODO created", rather than prompting for it.
>
> Then again, maybe a variable is the best answer here, because sooner
> or later, somebody is going to want to change that. Normally, I'd hate
> to add more and more variables just to complicate things, but org-mode
> seems to have no shortage of them. (That's a good thing!) :)

I use org-remember for creating tasks where I want to know the created
time.  I create most of my tasks with the remember interface and it's
easy to put the date in the template with %u.

For me every log entry creates a log drawer and I wouldn't want that by
default for every new task created with M-S-RET.

http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#Remember

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-27 14:54         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-27 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
> I use org-remember for creating tasks where I want to know the created
> time.  I create most of my tasks with the remember interface and it's
> easy to put the date in the template with %u.
>
> For me every log entry creates a log drawer and I wouldn't want that by
> default for every new task created with M-S-RET.

+1

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-27 19:18       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-27 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Swartz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 27, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Keith Swartz wrote:

> I can see where M-S-ENTER prompting for a status note change would
> be annoying. Personally, I don't use that feature, so I didn't think
> of that -- I'm more interested in the timestamps. Basically, I like
> being able to record /when/ something was first entered as a todo
> item -- gives me a good way to see which items are the oldest.
>
> One thought is to record the state change, but default the status
> note to "TODO created", rather than prompting for it.
>
> Then again, maybe a variable is the best answer here, because sooner
> or later, somebody is going to want to change that. Normally, I'd
> hate to add more and more variables just to complicate things, but
> org-mode seems to have no shortage of them. (That's a good thing!) :)

Do you now hate or like it??? :-)

There is now a new variable
`org-treat-insert-todo-heading-as-state-change', default nil.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-27 20:04         ` Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-27 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-27 20:10         ` Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-27 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On May 27, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Keith Swartz wrote:
>
>> I can see where M-S-ENTER prompting for a status note change would be
>> annoying. Personally, I don't use that feature, so I didn't think of
>> that -- I'm more interested in the timestamps. Basically, I like
>> being able to record /when/ something was first entered as a todo
>> item -- gives me a good way to see which items are the oldest.
>>
>> One thought is to record the state change, but default the status
>> note to "TODO created", rather than prompting for it.
>>
>> Then again, maybe a variable is the best answer here, because sooner
>> or later, somebody is going to want to change that. Normally, I'd
>> hate to add more and more variables just to complicate things, but
>> org-mode seems to have no shortage of them. (That's a good thing!) :)
>

> Do you now hate or like it??? :-)
>
> There is now a new variable
> `org-treat-insert-todo-heading-as-state-change', default nil.
Ugh! That's it, now I hate it. :-)

Just kidding; our emails crossed paths, but this is exactly what I
proposed. Thanks Carsten!

Keith

---

@ 2009-05-27 20:59           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-27 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Swartz; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

On May 27, 2009, at 10:04 PM, Keith Swartz wrote:

> Actually, that's a good idea. I just went and modified my remember
> template to emulate the logbook behavior, so now I can use that
> consistently. Should have thought of that.
>
> But we still have an inconsistency here. There seems to be a rather
> widespread agreement that creating a TODO item shouldn't register a
> state change. If there's no objection to that (and there isn't from
> me), then changing a regular bullet to the "TODO" state for the
> first time shouldn't either. So I think that's kind of a bug.

I am, actually, going the other way here.  I do very much like to have
state notes when I am really working on stuff.  But setting up state
notes
has the annoying side-effect that I am also prompted for notes when I
really
want to flip through to some initial state, without taking notes.

Therefore, just so that you hate it more (:-) I have also introduced
yet another
variable `org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change', and I
will set
it (personally) to nil.  Then I can use S-right to flip through states
without taking notes, and C-c C-t to switch to a state with taking a
note.

I call this not inconsistency or a bug, I'd call it choice :-)

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-27 21:13             ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-27 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

> Therefore, just so that you hate it more (:-) I have also introduced
> yet another variable
> `org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change', and I will set it
> (personally) to nil.  Then I can use S-right to flip through states
> without taking notes, and C-c C-t to switch to a state with taking a
> note.
>
> I call this not inconsistency or a bug, I'd call it choice :-)

\o/

I'll use this right away!  Thanks Carsten!  Sometimes when creating a
subtask under another subtask that is in a PROJECT/WAITING/SOMEDAY state
the new task gets the same todo state keyword as the task above.
Changing the keyword to TODO prompts for a note which I want to avoid.
This will work great!

I've attached a patch that fixes a typo in the new variable name.

-Bernt

From dd2382a293a8980dbb23685568b31eab36ae5772 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 17:11:15 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] Fix typo: seletion -> selection in variable name

---
This patch is available at git://git.norang.ca/org-mode.git for-carsten

 doc/org.texi   |    4 ++--
 lisp/ChangeLog |    4 ++--
 lisp/org.el    |    6 +++---

diff --git a/doc/org.texi b/doc/org.texi
index 5211fa1..61c0210 100644
--- a/doc/org.texi
+++ b/doc/org.texi
@@ -3195,14 +3195,14 @@ more information.

 @kindex S-@key{right}
 @kindex S-@key{left}
-@vindex org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change
+@vindex org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change
 @item S-@key{right}
 @itemx S-@key{left}
 Select the following/preceding TODO state, similar to cycling.  Useful
 mostly if more than two TODO states are possible (@pxref{TODO
 extensions}).  See also @ref{Conflicts} for a discussion of the interaction
 with @code{shift-selection-mode}.  See also the variable
-@code{org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change}.
+@code{org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change}.
 @kindex C-c C-v
 @kindex C-c / t
 @cindex sparse tree, for TODO
diff --git a/lisp/ChangeLog b/lisp/ChangeLog
index 39fd869..7ac6578 100755
--- a/lisp/ChangeLog
+++ b/lisp/ChangeLog
@@ -1,12 +1,12 @@
 2009-05-27  Carsten Dominik  <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>

 	* org.el (org-treat-insert-todo-heading-as-state-change)
-	(org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change): New
+	(org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change): New
 	variables.
 	(org-insert-todo-heading): Honor
 	`org-treat-insert-todo-heading-as-state-change'.
 	(org-shiftright, org-shiftleft): Honor
-	`org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change'.
+	`org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change'.
 	(org-inhibit-logging): New variable.

 2009-05-23  Carsten Dominik  <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
diff --git a/lisp/org.el b/lisp/org.el
index 256b5b2..bc81a95 100644
--- a/lisp/org.el
+++ b/lisp/org.el
@@ -1825,7 +1825,7 @@ be inserted directly, and no logging will take place."
   :group 'org-todo
   :type 'boolean)

-(defcustom org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change t
+(defcustom org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change t
   "Non-nil means, switching TODO states with S-cursor counts as state change.
 This is the default behavior.  However, setting this to nil allows a
 convenient way to select a TODO state and bypass any logging associated
@@ -14533,7 +14533,7 @@ Depending on context, this does one of the following:
    ((and (not (eq org-support-shift-select 'always))
 	 (org-on-heading-p))
     (let ((org-inhibit-logging
-	   (not org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change)))
+	   (not org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change)))
       (org-call-with-arg 'org-todo 'right)))
    ((or (and org-support-shift-select
 	     (not (eq org-support-shift-select 'always))
@@ -14565,7 +14565,7 @@ Depending on context, this does one of the following:
    ((and (not (eq org-support-shift-select 'always))
 	 (org-on-heading-p))
     (let ((org-inhibit-logging
-	   (not org-treat-S-cursor-todo-seletion-as-state-change)))
+	   (not org-treat-S-cursor-todo-selection-as-state-change)))
       (org-call-with-arg 'org-todo 'left)))
    ((or (and org-support-shift-select
 	     (not (eq org-support-shift-select 'always))
--
1.6.3.9.g6345

* Re: Question about tracking TODO state changes and M-S-ENTER
@ 2009-05-27 22:48             ` Keith Swartz
From: Keith Swartz @ 2009-05-27 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, emacs-orgmode

I agree -- now you have choice instead of inconsistency. I like it. I
mean, as a user, I like it. If I had to maintain this code, I'd hate it.
So I'm glad it's you and not me. Kudos. :D But seriously, thanks for the
discussion.

Although if the variable name really is ...-seletion-... and not
...-selection-... then I'd have to go back to saying it's a bug. :)

Keith

PS: Whoops, I see Bernt already caught that! Man, you people are fast.

@ 2009-05-28  5:25               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-28  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

Applied, thanks (but I had trouble accessing your git repo this
morning....

-------------------------
| [org-mode] Sir? git fetch bernt for-carsten
| git.norang.ca[0: 99.239.148.180]: errno=Connection refused
| fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
| [org-mode] Sir?
------------------------

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-28 13:39                 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-05-28 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Keith Swartz, emacs-orgmode

> Applied, thanks (but I had trouble accessing your git repo this
> morning....

> | [org-mode] Sir? git fetch bernt for-carsten
> | git.norang.ca[0: 99.239.148.180]: errno=Connection refused
> | fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
> | [org-mode] Sir?

Sorry I rebooted that system yesterday and forgot to restart the
service.  Fixed.

-Bernt