* Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 17:19 Bill Raynor
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bill Raynor @ 2009-02-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step tutorial on
installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions work just fine on,
say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install) but don't work on windows.
Using emacs on windows is quite simple (download and install) but updating
Org doesn't work so well.

In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory directly,
which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read a recent post
on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as the post neglected to
mention that you have to install cygwin + some unspecified packages (to get
make, for instance). I trying that now.  I am also using the W32 version of
emacs.

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 17:47 ` Saurabh Agrawal
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Raynor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yup, I too second this request.

I too would love to have such a tutorial to gain an idea of the same.

Regards,
Saurabh.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Bill Raynor <braynor3500@gmail.com> wrote:
> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step tutorial on
> installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions work just fine on,
> say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install) but don't work on windows.
> Using emacs on windows is quite simple (download and install) but updating
> Org doesn't work so well.
>
> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory directly,
> which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read a recent post
> on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as the post neglected to
> mention that you have to install cygwin + some unspecified packages (to get
> make, for instance). I trying that now.  I am also using the W32 version of
> emacs.

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 17:48 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-04 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Raynor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Bill Raynor wrote:
> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step
> tutorial on installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions
> work just fine on, say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install)
> but don't work on windows.  Using emacs on windows is quite simple
> (download and install) but updating Org doesn't work so well.

Just unzip the org-mode in some location (e.g. D:/mystuff/org-mode/) and
add following to .emacs (customize to taste/need).. mostly copied from
Org manual activation section:

(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/mystuff/org-mode/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
(transient-mark-mode 1)

> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory
> directly, which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read
> a recent post on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as
> the post neglected to mention that you have to install cygwin + some
> unspecified packages (to get make, for instance). I trying that now. I
> am also using the W32 version of emacs.

You do not /have to/ compile the lisp files, you can use just the source
(by skipping all steps that ask for make in the installation section of
the manual.)  I am not sure how much performance impact will it have but
it's an option at least.

Do let us know how it goes.

HTH
--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 18:07   ` Saurabh Agrawal
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-04 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Presently I have org-mode 6.16 installed, which came default with
latest release of emacs win32. However, I just downloaded version
6.21b and tried to do as you said. However, "org-version" is still
showing 6.16.

Will we have to unlink earlier version somehow?

Regards,

Saurabh.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Bill Raynor wrote:
>> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step
>> tutorial on installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions
>> work just fine on, say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install)
>> but don't work on windows.  Using emacs on windows is quite simple
>> (download and install) but updating Org doesn't work so well.
>
> Just unzip the org-mode in some location (e.g. D:/mystuff/org-mode/) and
> add following to .emacs (customize to taste/need).. mostly copied from
> Org manual activation section:

> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:/mystuff/org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'org-install)
> ;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
> (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
> (transient-mark-mode 1)
>

>> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory
>> directly, which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read
>> a recent post on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as
>> the post neglected to mention that you have to install cygwin + some
>> unspecified packages (to get make, for instance). I trying that now. I
>> am also using the W32 version of emacs.
>
> You do not /have to/ compile the lisp files, you can use just the source
> (by skipping all steps that ask for make in the installation section of
> the manual.)  I am not sure how much performance impact will it have but
> it's an option at least.
>
> Do let us know how it goes.
>
> HTH
> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 18:16   ` Bill Raynor
From: Bill Raynor @ 2009-02-04 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

As I mentioned, I was adding extra packages to Cygwin to get the makefile
version to work. I added the compiler packages (gcc), cmake, and make. (just
to make sure).  That seemed to be what I need, as the "make, make-install, &
make install-info" chant now works and I have a working version of 6.21b.

So, to summarize:
1. download and install the current emacs binaries (I used the W32 version
at http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32Util.html). In my case I installed
to C:\Apps\Emacs.
2. download and install the current version of cygwin. During the install,
you will be asked which packages to install. Choose the develop branch and
install make. (I also installed gcc and g77)
3. unzip the org zip file under C:\Apps\Emacs\site-lisp
4. change directory to C:\Apps\Emacs\site-lisp\org-6.21b (or the current
version)
5. edit the Makefile. these are the changes I made:
EMACS=/cygdrive/c/Apps/Emacs/emacs/bin/emacs.exe

# Where local software is found
prefix= /cygdrive/c/Apps/Emacs/

# Where local lisp files go.
lispdir =  /cygdrive/c/Apps/Emacs/emacs/lisp/textmodes

# Where info files go.
infodir =  /cygdrive/c/Apps/Emacs/emacs/info
6. cross fingers and
make
make install
make install-info
   for the most part I got lots of text from emacs as it started, added
stuff to the path and compiled the individual files. I did get several
warnings about variables being out-of-date.
7. modify your .emacs file as suggested in the manual and save.
8. restart emacs and load an org file. Choose org->Documentation->Show
Version from the menu and the little message area on the bottom should show
"Org-mode version 6.21b"
9. Possible gotchas:

   - a. I somehow ended up with a .../lisp/org directory containing version
   6.06. I don't know if that was my doing or it came with the distribution. I
   used bash to mv all the org* files from lisp/textmodes to lisp/org and then
   got the correct version. On Aquamacs (OS X) the org files end up in
   lisp/textmodes.

If there is a better way, I'd appreciate knowing it.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Bill Raynor wrote:
> > I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step
> > tutorial on installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions
> > work just fine on, say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install)
> > but don't work on windows.  Using emacs on windows is quite simple
> > (download and install) but updating Org doesn't work so well.
>
> Just unzip the org-mode in some location (e.g. D:/mystuff/org-mode/) and
> add following to .emacs (customize to taste/need).. mostly copied from
> Org manual activation section:

> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:/mystuff/org-mode/lisp")
> (require 'org-install)
> ;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
> (global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
> (global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
> (global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
> (transient-mark-mode 1)
>

> > In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory
> > directly, which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read
> > a recent post on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as
> > the post neglected to mention that you have to install cygwin + some
> > unspecified packages (to get make, for instance). I trying that now. I
> > am also using the W32 version of emacs.
>
> You do not /have to/ compile the lisp files, you can use just the source
> (by skipping all steps that ask for make in the installation section of
> the manual.)  I am not sure how much performance impact will it have but
> it's an option at least.
>
> Do let us know how it goes.
>
> HTH
> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-04 19:52 ` Charles Sebold
From: Charles Sebold @ 2009-02-04 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 4 Feb 2009, Bill Raynor wrote:

> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step
> tutorial on installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions
> work just fine on, say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install)
> but don't work on windows.  Using emacs on windows is quite simple
> (download and install) but updating Org doesn't work so well.
>
> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory
> directly, which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read
> a recent post on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as
> the post neglected to mention that you have to install cygwin + some
> unspecified packages (to get make, for instance). I trying that now.
> I am also using the W32 version of emacs.

Here's what I do (I'm running Emacs 22.3 provided by the FSF).  Using
this code, I don't ever run make, but I do need a version of makeinfo
in the path somewhere.  The "generate org-install" bit is lifted from
the Makefile, so it might have to change if the Makefile changes:

(setq crs-org-path "/source/org") ; this is where I keep my git version
                                  ; of org
(setq org-actual-info-path "~/.emacs.d/info/org") ; this is where my
                                                  ; local info files
                                                  ; are

(defun crs-add-to-load-path (path-string &rest more-paths)
  (when path-string
    (message (format "Passed %S..." path-string))
    (when (file-exists-p path-string)
      (setq path-string (expand-file-name path-string))
      (message (format "Adding %S to load-path..." path-string))
      (add-to-list 'load-path path-string))
    (when more-paths
      (mapcar 'crs-add-to-load-path more-paths)))
  t)

(defun crs-newer-file-p (filename1 filename2)
  "Is FILENAME1 newer than FILENAME2?"
  (and (file-exists-p filename1)
       (file-exists-p filename2)
       (let ((first-time-mod (nth 5 (file-attributes filename1)))
	     (second-time-mod (nth 5 (file-attributes filename2))))
	 (or (> (car first-time-mod) (car second-time-mod))
	     (and (= (car first-time-mod) (car second-time-mod))
		  (> (cadr first-time-mod) (cadr second-time-mod)))))))

; Add in GIT repository if it exists
(let ((org-lisp-path (concat crs-org-path "/lisp"))
      (org-docfile-path (concat crs-org-path "/doc/org")))
  (when (file-exists-p org-lisp-path)
    (crs-add-to-load-path org-lisp-path)
    ; recompile everything in this directory
    (byte-recompile-directory org-lisp-path 0 nil)
    ; generate and copy documentation
    (if (and (file-exists-p org-actual-info-path)
	     (file-exists-p org-docfile-path)
	     (crs-newer-file-p org-docfile-path org-actual-info-path))
	(copy-file org-docfile-path org-actual-info-path t)
      (when (and (or (not (file-exists-p org-docfile-path))
		     (crs-newer-file-p (concat org-docfile-path ".texi")
				       org-docfile-path))
		 (file-exists-p (concat org-docfile-path ".texi")))
	(shell-command-to-string
	 (concat "makeinfo --no-split "
		 (shell-quote-argument
		  (concat org-docfile-path ".texi"))
		 " -o "
		 (shell-quote-argument org-docfile-path)))
	(if (file-exists-p org-docfile-path)
	    (copy-file org-docfile-path org-actual-info-path t)
	  (message "Problem compiling org texinfo file?"))))
  ; generate org-install.el
    (when (or
	   (not (file-exists-p (concat
				org-lisp-path "/org-install.el")))
	   (crs-newer-file-p (concat org-lisp-path "/Changelog")
			     (concat org-lisp-path "/org-install.el")))
      (let ((lispfiles0 (directory-files org-lisp-path
					 nil "\\.el$" nil)))
	(find-file (concat org-lisp-path "/org-install.el"))
	(require 'autoload)
	(erase-buffer)
	(mapc (lambda (x) (generate-file-autoloads x)) lispfiles0)
	(insert "\n(provide (quote org-install))\n")
	(save-buffer)
	(kill-buffer nil)))))

; org-mode (current)
(require 'org-install)

When I log in, most mornings, I run a batch file that "git pulls" the
latest from Carsten's repository, and then fires up Emacs for me to
handle the rest.

One nice thing about this is, if nothing has changed in my git
repository, then I don't notice any significant slowdown in booting, but
if it has, then I get the updated version.

If this seems convoluted, be aware at least that this is only about 2-3%
of a very long chain of things that my .emacs.d/init.el runs when I
start it up, and the functions I defined above get used in lots of other
places.
--
Charles Sebold                                     4th of February, 2009
GNU Emacs 22.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) | Gnus v5.11 | org-mode 6.21trans

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  2:01     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-05  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Agrawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:
> Presently I have org-mode 6.16 installed, which came default with
> latest release of emacs win32. However, I just downloaded version
> 6.21b and tried to do as you said. However, "org-version" is still
> showing 6.16.

Did you reboot Emacs?

--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  5:02       ` Saurabh Agrawal
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-05  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Did you reboot Emacs?

Yup, that I sure did...

Though, I would like to know if there is a way to re-load .emacs
without restarting Emacs.

Regards,

Saurabh.

> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  5:14         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-05  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Agrawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:

>> Did you reboot Emacs?
>
> Yup, that I sure did...

Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
please?

> Though, I would like to know if there is a way to re-load .emacs
> without restarting Emacs.

M-x load-file RET <enter-path-to-.emacs> RET

Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  5:18           ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-02-05  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 10:44:53AM +0530, Manish wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you reboot Emacs?
> >
> > Yup, that I sure did...
>
> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
> please?
>

> > Though, I would like to know if there is a way to re-load .emacs
> > without restarting Emacs.
>
> M-x load-file RET <enter-path-to-.emacs> RET

Will that unload variables that were previously loaded? I can see this
being an issue, for example, if you've undeclared a variable in .emacs
in order to return to a default value.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  5:30             ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-05  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

>> > Yup, that I sure did...
>>
>> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
>> please?
>>

>> > Though, I would like to know if there is a way to re-load .emacs
>> > without restarting Emacs.
>>
>> M-x load-file RET <enter-path-to-.emacs> RET
>
> Will that unload variables that were previously loaded? I can see this
> being an issue, for example, if you've undeclared a variable in .emacs
> in order to return to a default value.

Yes, this will reset any variables that you might have changed in the
session back to the values still defined in .emacs.

--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  6:11               ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-02-05  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 11:00:19AM +0530, Manish wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:

> >> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
> >> please?

> >> M-x load-file RET <enter-path-to-.emacs> RET
> >
> > Will that unload variables that were previously loaded? I can see this
> > being an issue, for example, if you've undeclared a variable in .emacs
> > in order to return to a default value.
>
> Yes, this will reset any variables that you might have changed in the
> session back to the values still defined in .emacs.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm thinking about unsetting variables you have
in your .emacs to their default values. I just reboot Emacs, but if
there were a quicker way to revert to a 'pristine' state then load
.emacs it would be much easier.

--

@ 2009-02-05  7:53                 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-05  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cameron Horsburgh; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
[...]
>> > Will that unload variables that were previously loaded? I can see this
>> > being an issue, for example, if you've undeclared a variable in .emacs
>> > in order to return to a default value.
>>
>> Yes, this will reset any variables that you might have changed in the
>> session back to the values still defined in .emacs.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm thinking about unsetting variables you have
> in your .emacs to their default values. I just reboot Emacs, but if
> there were a quicker way to revert to a 'pristine' state then load
> .emacs it would be much easier.

I guess a lot depends on what "pristine" means here.

You could have multiple copies of .emacs to achieve various states, I
think but then you will need to define /all/ the variables to their
default values at least in some of those files explicitly so they can be
reset from whatever you have set them to.  A variable not set in .emacs
would stay at it's set value (whether set by another copy of .emacs or
manually.)  In reality I have never needed to so I may not even fully
understand your issue and if any of what I said made sense. :-/

--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-05  8:25                   ` Cameron Horsburgh
From: Cameron Horsburgh @ 2009-02-05  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 01:23:52PM +0530, Manish wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 11:41 AM, Cameron Horsburgh wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> Yes, this will reset any variables that you might have changed in the
> >> session back to the values still defined in .emacs.
> >
> > Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm thinking about unsetting variables you have
> > in your .emacs to their default values. I just reboot Emacs, but if
> > there were a quicker way to revert to a 'pristine' state then load
> > .emacs it would be much easier.
>
> I guess a lot depends on what "pristine" means here.
>
> You could have multiple copies of .emacs to achieve various states, I
> think but then you will need to define /all/ the variables to their
> default values at least in some of those files explicitly so they can be
> reset from whatever you have set them to.  A variable not set in .emacs
> would stay at it's set value (whether set by another copy of .emacs or
> manually.)  In reality I have never needed to so I may not even fully
> understand your issue and if any of what I said made sense. :-/

I thought as much! What I (and I think the OP) is looking for is a way
to load a modified version of .emacs without having to reboot, but
with the guarantee that all of the changes will be effective. As you
say, variable declarations that have been removed from .emacs will not
be taken into account.

It's a moot point, I guess---by far the majority of my Emacs boot time
is spent loading things in .emacs anyway, so I doubt any time could be
saved if what I wanted were possible.

--

Cameron Horsburgh

Blog: http://spiritcry.wordpress.com/

* Re: Installing on windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-05  9:38 ` Tony Mc
From: Tony Mc @ 2009-02-05  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:19:50 -0600, Bill Raynor <braynor3500@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I and many others would be grateful for a detailed step-by-step tutorial on
> installing org-mode on windows. The basic instructions work just fine on,
> say, OS X (edit makefile, make and make install) but don't work on windows.
> Using emacs on windows is quite simple (download and install) but updating
> Org doesn't work so well.
>
> In the past I've used dired to attempt to compile the directory directly,
> which gets lots of error messages, but sort of works. I read a recent post
> on installing cygwin, but that doesn't quite work, as the post neglected to
> mention that you have to install cygwin + some unspecified packages (to get
> make, for instance). I trying that now.  I am also using the W32 version of
> emacs.

I use a batch file for JP Software's TCC (the successor to 4NT and
4DOS) command line. I have copied the batch file below, I don't think
it would take much editing to make it work with the built-in cmd.exe
command processor. When I download a new org-xxx.zip file I just close
Emacs and run:

	org_update xxx

and it takes care of the unpacking, batch compiling, installing into
my elisp directory and cleaning up temporary files afterwards. You
will probably need to change some of the paths (I have Emacs installed
in C:\Emacs and my customization directory is D:\.emacs.d

I hope that is of some help to you.
Tony

org_update.btm follows:

@ECHO OFF
REM Update the Emacs org-mode automatically
REM Usage: org_update xxx
REM   to update to version xxx
SETLOCAL
SET ORGFILES=org-%1
SET EMACS=C:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe
SET EMACS_OPTS=--batch -q -eval "(progn (add-to-list (quote load-path)
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\")) (add-to-list (quote load-path)
\"D:/.emacs.d/elisp\"))" -f batch-byte-compile
SET ELISPDIR=D:\.emacs.d\elisp
SET INFODIR=D:\.emacs.d\info
SET DOWNLOADDIR=D:\Downloads\Editors\Emacs\Elisp
SET ORGZIPFILE=%ORGFILES.zip

REM Unpack the downloaded file in a temp directory
CDD %DOWNLOADDIR
c:\pacl\paext -o+ -d -p%TEMP\ %ORGZIPFILE
CDD %TEMP\%ORGFILES\lisp

REM Compile the Elisp sources
FOR %f in (org*.el) %EMACS %EMACS_OPTS %f

REM Copy parts of the archive to where Emacs can find them
COPY org*.el org*.elc %ELISPDIR\
COPY ..\doc\org %INFODIR\
COPY ..\doc\org.pdf ..\doc\orgcard.pdf %INFODIR\

REM Cleanup temp files
CDD %TEMP\
DEL %ORGFILES\*.* /s /x /y
ENDLOCAL

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06  7:15           ` Saurabh Agrawal
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-06  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
> please?

Sorry Manish, I was out.

I added following to my .emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b")
(require 'org-install)
;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
(transient-mark-mode 1)

I just changed the load path. I don't know if I had to change anything else.

Regards,
Saurabh.

>> Though, I would like to know if there is a way to re-load .emacs
>> without restarting Emacs.
>
> M-x load-file RET <enter-path-to-.emacs> RET
>
> Regards,
> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06  8:05             ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-06  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saurabh Agrawal; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:
>> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
>> please?
>
> Sorry Manish, I was out.
>
> I added following to my .emacs:
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b")

Please replace the line above with the following one in your .emacs and
reboot Emacs.

(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp")

Then check Org version again please.

HTH,
--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06 11:26               ` Saurabh Agrawal
       [not found]                 ` <e7cdbe30902060434y5a5011eep1a2567f5facce184@mail.gmail.com>
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-06 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Manish <mailtomanish.sharma@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:
>>> Can you mail the exact statement you used to add org-mode to .emacs
>>> please?
>>
>> Sorry Manish, I was out.
>>
>> I added following to my .emacs:
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b")
>
> Please replace the line above with the following one in your .emacs and
> reboot Emacs.

> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp")
>
> Then check Org version again please.

It is still 6.16... :(

But something has happened. I have lost all my colours in my gtd.org
buffer...though, folding etc is working.

sa

> HTH,
> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
       [not found]                 ` <e7cdbe30902060434y5a5011eep1a2567f5facce184@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-02-06 13:07                   ` Saurabh Agrawal
From: Saurabh Agrawal @ 2009-02-06 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> Then check Org version again please.
>>
>> It is still 6.16... :(
>
> Can you please mail me your complete .emacs, the location where you
> unzipped the org-mode package and what additional steps you took to
> install the package (like make etc.), if any?

Hi Manish, thanks for all the help. Here is my .emacs. Please don't
make fun of me... :)

I have just copied a lot of stuff from here and there and tried to
modify it for my needs.

(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp")
(require 'org-install)
;; The following lines are always needed.  Choose your own keys.
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'turn-on-font-lock)  ; Org buffers only
(transient-mark-mode 1)
(defun gtd ()
   (interactive)
   (find-file "D:/stuff/imp/plans/gtd.org")
 )

(eval-after-load "org"
  '(progn
     (define-prefix-command 'org-todo-state-map)

     (define-key org-mode-map "\C-cx" 'org-todo-state-map)

     (define-key org-todo-state-map "x"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "CANCELLED")))
     (define-key org-todo-state-map "d"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "DONE")))
     (define-key org-todo-state-map "f"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "DEFERRED")))
     (define-key org-todo-state-map "l"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "DELEGATED")))
     (define-key org-todo-state-map "s"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "STARTED")))
     (define-key org-todo-state-map "w"
       #'(lambda nil (interactive) (org-todo "WAITING")))))

(require 'remember)

(add-hook 'remember-mode-hook 'org-remember-apply-template)

(define-key global-map [(control meta ?r)] 'remember)
(setq org-directory "d:/stuff/imp/plans/")
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(org-agenda-custom-commands (quote (("t" "Today!!!" ((agenda ""
((org-agenda-ndays
1)(org-agenda-skip-function'(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'regexp
"DONE")))) (todo "UNASSIGNED" nil) (tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"School\""
((org-agenda-skip-function'(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'regexp "<2"))))
(tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"CRS\"" nil) (tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"Study\""
nil) (tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"Practice\"" nil) (tags-todo
"CATEGORY=\"Reading\"" nil) (tags-todo "CATEGORY=\"Other\"" nil))))))
 '(org-agenda-files (quote ("d:/Stuff/imp/dates.org"
"d:/Stuff/imp/plans/alamanac.org" "d:/stuff/imp/plans/gtd.org")))
 '(org-agenda-ndays 7)
 '(org-agenda-show-all-dates t)
 '(org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
 '(org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
 '(org-agenda-start-on-weekday nil)
 '(org-agenda-time-grid (quote ((require-timed) "----------------"
(800 1000 1200 1400 1600 1800 2000))))
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled t)
 '(org-agenda-todo-ignore-with-date t)
 '(org-archive-location "%s_archive::")
 '(org-deadline-warning-days 14)
 '(org-default-notes-file "~/notes.org")
 '(org-fast-tag-selection-single-key (quote expert))
 '(org-remember-store-without-prompt t)
 '(org-remember-templates (quote (("School" 115 "* TODO %? %^g"
"gtd.org" "[[file:d:/stuff/imp/plans/school.org][School]]") ("CRS" 99
"* TODO %? %^g" "gtd.org" "CRS") ("Study" 116 "* TODO %? %^g"
"gtd.org" "Study") ("Practice" 112 "* TODO %? %^g" "gtd.org"
"Practice") ("Reading" 114 "* TODO %? %^g" "gtd.org" "Reading")
("Other" 111 "* TODO %? %^g" "gtd.org" "Other"))))
 '(org-reverse-note-order t)
 '(org-todo-keyword-faces (quote (("TODO" :foreground "red" :weight bold))))
 '(org-use-fast-todo-selection f)
 '(remember-annotation-functions (quote (org-remember-annotation)))
 '(remember-handler-functions (quote (org-remember-handler))))

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

I have unzipped the org-mode to the path described, which is:

D:\Software\office\emacs\org-6.21b\org-6.21b

And no, I have not taken any additional steps.

Saurabh.

> --
> Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06 19:52                     ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Saurabh Agrawal wrote:

>>> It is still 6.16... :(
>>
>> Can you please mail me your complete .emacs, the location where you
>> unzipped the org-mode package and what additional steps you took to
>> install the package (like make etc.), if any?
>
> Hi Manish, thanks for all the help. Here is my .emacs.

We finally went interactive in a chat session to resolve this.

My understanding was that the following statement will add the path to
the front of the load path and Org from this location will be loaded by
(require 'org-install).

(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp")

But it kept loading the version of Org bundled with EmacsW32.  Yes, we
did clean up the compiled org files from the location
(EmacsW32/emacs/lisp/org).  Also removing the complete org directory
started throwing an error about missing location and did not seem to
load .emacs at all.  While loading Emacs site-start.el seems to somehow
expect the org directory under EmacsW32/emacs/lisp directory.

We finally ended copying latest org files to EmacsW32/emacs/lisp/org
directory.

Obviously, I do not fully understand the initialization sequence for
EmacsW32.  Could someone using EmacsW32 throw some more light on a
better procedure/technique to install Org-mode on it?

Thanks
--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06 21:24                       ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2009-02-06 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

You were adding to the end of the load path, and emacs was using the
first copy it came to (the one included in emacs).

You could try something like this instead...

(setq load-path-orig load-path)
(setq load-path
      (append
       (list
        ("D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp"))
       load-path-orig))))

- Chris
(comments and other suggestion welcome!)

Manish writes:

>>> Can you please mail me your complete .emacs, the location where you
>>> unzipped the org-mode package and what additional steps you took to
>>> install the package (like make etc.), if any?
>>
>> Hi Manish, thanks for all the help. Here is my .emacs.
>
>We finally went interactive in a chat session to resolve this.
>
>My understanding was that the following statement will add the path to
>the front of the load path and Org from this location will be loaded by
>(require 'org-install).
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>(add-to-list 'load-path "D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp")
>--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>But it kept loading the version of Org bundled with EmacsW32.  Yes, we
>did clean up the compiled org files from the location
>(EmacsW32/emacs/lisp/org).  Also removing the complete org directory
>started throwing an error about missing location and did not seem to
>load .emacs at all.  While loading Emacs site-start.el seems to somehow
>expect the org directory under EmacsW32/emacs/lisp directory.
>
>We finally ended copying latest org files to EmacsW32/emacs/lisp/org
>directory.
>
>Obviously, I do not fully understand the initialization sequence for
>EmacsW32.  Could someone using EmacsW32 throw some more light on a
>better procedure/technique to install Org-mode on it?
>
>Thanks
>--
>Manish

================================
Chris McMahan | cmcmahan@one.net
================================

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06 23:19 Tim O'Callaghan
From: Tim O'Callaghan @ 2009-02-06 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>  Obviously, I do not fully understand the initialization sequence for
>  EmacsW32.  Could someone using EmacsW32 throw some more light on a
>  better procedure/technique to install Org-mode on it?

Hi,

I run the same installation of org in Xemacs & Emacs on Windows+Cygwin
& Linux/Unix.

Currently i have these native versions installed:
* GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-06-30 on
LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
* XEmacs 21.4 (patch 21) "Educational Television" [Lucid]
(i586-pc-win32) of Sun Oct 07 2007 on VSHELTON-PC2

The basic technique is:
1) do not compile any source to EL files.
2) make sure the HOME environmental variable is set correctly.
3) use the (expand-filename) function, and relative filenames. It
makes everything work cross platform.

Here is an quick walk through my (X)Emacs setup.

My .emacs:
(defconst toc:zemacsen-dir "~/.zemacsen_d/"
  "Path to xemacsen root directory and the init.el file")
(defconst toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir (concat toc:zemacsen-dir "site-lisp/")
  "Path to (x)emacs lisp includes")

(load (expand-file-name (concat toc:zemacsen-dir "init")))

Notice the ~/ unix style relative paths? expand-filename converts that
into the value of your HOME environmental variable. This must be set
for Cygwin, but is also useful for other unixlike tools.

so if  "HOME=C:\home\", this code loads the file
"C:\home\.zemacsen\init.el" which is my "real" (x)emacs configuration
file.

I then have a function that does something like:
 (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name (concat
toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir "org-mode/lisp")))

Which places "c:/home/.zemacsen_d/site-lisp/org-mode"  at the
beginning of the load-path list, trumping any other installation. You
can check with "alt-x describe-variable load-path " to make sure it's
at the start of the load-path list.

Here is the function and its org usage:
(defun toc:add-to-load-path (dirlist)
  (dolist (dir dirlist load-path)
    (setq dir (expand-file-name (concat toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir dir)))
    (if (file-directory-p dir)
        (add-to-list 'load-path dir))))

(toc:add-to-load-path '("org-mode/lisp/"
                        "org-mode/contrib/lisp/"
                        "org-mode/xemacs/"
                        "remember/"))

;; Initialize org
(cond ((featurep 'xemacs)
       (require 'noutline)
       (require 'ps-print-invisible)))

(require 'org)

I have a similar setup for exec-path, to make sure my preferred
windows binaries are found before the windows system ones.

(defun toc:add-to-exec-path (dirlist &optional front)
  (dolist (dir dirlist exec-path)
    (setq edir (expand-file-name dir))
    (setq qdir (shell-quote-argument (expand-file-name dir)))
    (message "Testing PATH:= %s" dir)
    (cond ((file-directory-p dir)
           (add-to-list 'exec-path dir front)
           (message "Searching PATH:= %s <--> %s" (regexp-quote dir)
(getenv "PATH"))
           (unless (string-match (regexp-quote dir) (getenv "PATH"))
             (message "Adding PATH:= %s\n" dir)
             (if front
                 (setenv "PATH" (concat dir path-separator (getenv "PATH")))
               (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") path-separator dir))))))))

I'm sure its not pretty (or optimised) but, what can i say but that so
far it works for me (almost) everywhere.

hope that helps.

Tim.

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-06 23:30                         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-02-06 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@one.net> writes:
> You were adding to the end of the load path, and emacs was using the
> first copy it came to (the one included in emacs).
>
> You could try something like this instead...
>

> (setq load-path-orig load-path)
> (setq load-path
>       (append
>        (list
>         ("D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp"))
>        load-path-orig))))

that is:

(setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/" load-path))

:)

Regards,

  Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-07  8:20                           ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-07  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 5:00 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Chris McMahan <cmcmahan@one.net> writes:
>> You were adding to the end of the load path, and emacs was using the
>> first copy it came to (the one included in emacs).
>>
>> You could try something like this instead...
>>

>> (setq load-path-orig load-path)
>> (setq load-path
>>    (append
>>    (list
>>     ("D:/Software/office/emacs/org-6.21b/org-6.21b/lisp"))
>>    load-path-orig))))
>

> that is:
>

> (setq load-path (cons "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/" load-path))
>

> :)

Yes, this one did the job (more easily.)

I just saw this mentioned in the installation manual.  So I guess
apologies are in order.  Sorry for being lazy. :-/

--
Manish

* Re: Installing on windows
@ 2009-02-07  9:09 ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2009-02-07  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim O'Callaghan; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:49 AM, Tim O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Obviously, I do not fully understand the initialization sequence for
>> EmacsW32. Could someone using EmacsW32 throw some more light on a
>> better procedure/technique to install Org-mode on it?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I run the same installation of org in Xemacs & Emacs on Windows+Cygwin
> & Linux/Unix.
>
> Currently i have these native versions installed:
> * GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-06-30 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)
> * XEmacs 21.4 (patch 21) "Educational Television" [Lucid]
> (i586-pc-win32) of Sun Oct 07 2007 on VSHELTON-PC2
>
> The basic technique is:
> 1) do not compile any source to EL files.

I drop all random .el files in a single directory and compile only Org
stuff.

> 2) make sure the HOME environmental variable is set correctly.

Yep.

> 3) use the (expand-filename) function, and relative filenames. It
> makes everything work cross platform.

Yes, I also use relative paths but I do not use any functions to expand
file paths/names.

GNU Emacs 22.3 ships with org 5.23 and I have always been loading org
like so:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/elisp/org-mode.git/lisp")

So my org path must be coming after system without any issues.  So how
come I always get git version loaded (never 5.23), although
emacs-22.3/lisp/textmodes has both org.el and org.elc?  Ah.. I see GNU
Emacs doesn't have site-start.el like EmacsW32 does.

> Here is an quick walk through my (X)Emacs setup.
>
> My .emacs:
> (defconst toc:zemacsen-dir "~/.zemacsen_d/"
> "Path to xemacsen root directory and the init.el file")
> (defconst toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir (concat toc:zemacsen-dir "site-lisp/")
> "Path to (x)emacs lisp includes")
>
> (load (expand-file-name (concat toc:zemacsen-dir "init")))
>
> Notice the ~/ unix style relative paths? expand-filename converts that
> into the value of your HOME environmental variable. This must be set
> for Cygwin, but is also useful for other unixlike tools.
>
> so if "HOME=C:\home\", this code loads the file
> "C:\home\.zemacsen\init.el" which is my "real" (x)emacs configuration
> file.
>
> I then have a function that does something like:
> (add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name (concat
> toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir "org-mode/lisp")))
>
> Which places "c:/home/.zemacsen_d/site-lisp/org-mode" at the
> beginning of the load-path list, trumping any other installation. You
> can check with "alt-x describe-variable load-path " to make sure it's
> at the start of the load-path list.
>
> Here is the function and its org usage:
> (defun toc:add-to-load-path (dirlist)
> (dolist (dir dirlist load-path)
>  (setq dir (expand-file-name (concat toc:zemacsen-site-lisp-dir dir)))
>  (if (file-directory-p dir)
>    (add-to-list 'load-path dir))))
>
> (toc:add-to-load-path '("org-mode/lisp/"
>            "org-mode/contrib/lisp/"
>            "org-mode/xemacs/"
>            "remember/"))
>
> ;; Initialize org
> (cond ((featurep 'xemacs)
>    (require 'noutline)
>    (require 'ps-print-invisible)))
>
> (require 'org)

Shouldn't this be (require 'org-install)?

> I have a similar setup for exec-path, to make sure my preferred
> windows binaries are found before the windows system ones.

> (defun toc:add-to-exec-path (dirlist &optional front)
> (dolist (dir dirlist exec-path)
>  (setq edir (expand-file-name dir))
>  (setq qdir (shell-quote-argument (expand-file-name dir)))
>  (message "Testing PATH:= %s" dir)
>  (cond ((file-directory-p dir)
>      (add-to-list 'exec-path dir front)
>      (message "Searching PATH:= %s <--> %s" (regexp-quote dir)
> (getenv "PATH"))
>      (unless (string-match (regexp-quote dir) (getenv "PATH"))
>       (message "Adding PATH:= %s\n" dir)
>       (if front
>         (setenv "PATH" (concat dir path-separator (getenv "PATH")))
>        (setenv "PATH" (concat (getenv "PATH") path-separator dir))))))))

This looks quite useful.  I will try this out.

Thank you
--
Manish