* Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-10-18 13:50 Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-18 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I wonder how to add an image (PNG) to an Org file so that it can be
exported to latex and compiled using pdflatex?  I tried adding a link
using "[[./load.png][Server Load]]" but it only shows a link (which
also doesn't seem to work.)

I currently add images to Tex documents like so:

,----
|  \begin{figure}[H]
|    \centering \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{load.png}
|    \caption{Server Load \scriptsize{(Source: RRD)}\label{fig:load}}
|  \end{figure}
`----

Any pointers appreciated.

--
Manish

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-10-18 16:35 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2008-10-18 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 07:20:53PM +0530, Manish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wonder how to add an image (PNG) to an Org file so that it can be
> exported to latex and compiled using pdflatex?  I tried adding a link
> using "[[./load.png][Server Load]]" but it only shows a link (which
> also doesn't seem to work.)
>
> I currently add images to Tex documents like so:
>
> ,----
> |  \begin{figure}[H]
> |    \centering \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{load.png}
> |    \caption{Server Load \scriptsize{(Source: RRD)}\label{fig:load}}
> |  \end{figure}
> `----

Thats how I'm doing it currently.

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-10-18 19:06   ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-18 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

I guess the reason to not include images was, that it would (have)
require(d) the inclusion of special packages:

\usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

which might not be installed (correct me if I'm wrong).
But nowadays I feel this package is installed in each and every
LaTeX installation!? Even Debian switched to texlive.

Anyway, if graphicx is missing, the compilation will fail.

Russell Adams wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 07:20:53PM +0530, Manish wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I wonder how to add an image (PNG) to an Org file so that it can be
>> exported to latex and compiled using pdflatex?  I tried adding a link
>> using "[[./load.png][Server Load]]" but it only shows a link (which
>> also doesn't seem to work.)
>>
>> I currently add images to Tex documents like so:
>>
>> ,----
>> |  \begin{figure}[H]
>> |    \centering \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{load.png}
>> |    \caption{Server Load \scriptsize{(Source: RRD)}\label{fig:load}}
>> |  \end{figure}
>> `----
>>

> Thats how I'm doing it currently.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-10-18 19:20     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2008-10-18 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: [emacs-orgmode]

Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Hi Manish,
>

> I guess the reason to not include images was, that it would (have)
> require(d) the inclusion of special packages:
>
> \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}

Oh, pardon me, was it picins.sty? That package is not in texlive (and
not in Debian testing anymore, I had to install it by hand).

Hrm, so the only way to do it would be some customizable format string?

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-10-18 19:33     ` Manish
       [not found]       ` <48FA4BA2.4030307@gmx.de>
From: Manish @ 2008-10-18 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian_rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
  > Hi Manish,
  >

  > I guess the reason to not include images was, that it would (have)
  > require(d) the inclusion of special packages:
  >
  > \usepackage[dvips]{graphicx}
  >
  > which might not be installed (correct me if I'm wrong).
  > But nowadays I feel this package is installed in each and every
  > LaTeX installation!? Even Debian switched to texlive.
  >
  > Anyway, if graphicx is missing, the compilation will fail.
  >

  > Russell Adams wrote:
  >>
  >> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 07:20:53PM +0530, Manish wrote:
  >>>
  >>> Hello,
  >>>
  >>> I wonder how to add an image (PNG) to an Org file so that it can be
  >>> exported to latex and compiled using pdflatex?  I tried adding a link
  >>> using "[[./load.png][Server Load]]" but it only shows a link (which
  >>> also doesn't seem to work.)
  >>>
  >>> I currently add images to Tex documents like so:
  >>>
  >>> ,----
  >>> `----
  >>>

  >> Thats how I'm doing it currently.

Thanks Russel and Sebastian.

I do have graphicx installed but I had two issues:
1. image that I included in org file did not use \includegraphics in
   the tex file.
2. preamble of tex file did not include \usepackage{graphicx}.

So for 1, I am enclosing the image (the whole \includegraphics etc.)
in a BEGIN_LaTeX and END_LaTeX.  And for 2, I am trying to define a
custom class using "org-export-latex-classes" that will include
graphicx and other packages that I use.  I guess the setup will take
some work but then it should be one time setup and I hope not to edit
the tex files much after that and go from org to PDF in one fell
swoop.  I do not enjoy editing tex files.

Another thing I noticed is that a table in org file appears fine in
produced but does not appear in the \listoftables unless wrapped in a
\begin{table}..\end{table}.  Is there an automated/simple way to do
this?

Thanks again,
--
Manish

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
       [not found]       ` <48FA4BA2.4030307@gmx.de>
@ 2008-10-18 21:08         ` Manish
From: Manish @ 2008-10-18 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sebastian_rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
> Hi Manish,
>

> I don't enjoy editing TeX files either. I use the setup from Russels
> mail on the org-mode mailing list (I can't find it now). I posted my
> setup (derived from Russels suggestions) a few minutes ago as response
> to the 'Org-Mode Presentation Videos' thread.
>
> Russels setup work abolutely fine for me. And, yes, it's a thing you
> do once for ever.

Yes, I did see your other email.  I did find Russell's email [1] and
have been able to set up almost what I want.  There are a few
outstanding issues though: images still require to be wrapped in a
[BEGIN|END]_LaTeX construct (I'm sure there's a better way), and I
also have to use \begin and \end table wrapped inside
[BEGIN|END]_LaTeX to wrap org tables to make them appear in
\listoftables.  But it's almost there...

Thanks for mentioning your and Russell's setup.

--
Manish
1. http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00044.html

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-12-12 14:37 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-12 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manish; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Manish,

it has been a long time, but this does now work, with

    #+CAPTION: Server Load
    [[./load.png]]

- Carsten

On Oct 18, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Manish wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wonder how to add an image (PNG) to an Org file so that it can be
> exported to latex and compiled using pdflatex?  I tried adding a link
> using "[[./load.png][Server Load]]" but it only shows a link (which
> also doesn't seem to work.)
>
> I currently add images to Tex documents like so:
>
> ,----
> |  \begin{figure}[H]
> |    \centering \includegraphics[scale=0.75]{load.png}
> |    \caption{Server Load \scriptsize{(Source: RRD)}\label{fig:load}}
> |  \end{figure}
> `----
>
> Any pointers appreciated.
>
> --
> Manish

* Re: Org + Images -> Tex -> PDF
@ 2008-12-12 14:41   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2008-12-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sorry, this was incomplete.  To exactly duplicate what you had:

   #+CAPTION: Server Load \scriptsize{(Source: RRD)}
   #+ATTR_LaTeX: scale=0.75
   #+LABEL: gif:load
   [[./load.png]]

And you can produce references to the figure with

    [[fig:load][the load plot]]

HTH

- Carsten