Here's an updated patch, which adds (optional) search strings to ID links, and the option to inherit ID targets from parent headline / the top level file properties. I've also updated ORG-NEWS and the manual, and added tests. I think I've fixed all the issues with my first patch about which headline gets used for the description when inheriting IDs, what happens if there is no ID, etc. > Ideally, we should have all the necessary logic to store the link within `org-id-store-link' and then use `org-link-set-parameters' to configure id links. > ... > I think that we need to make a change in the rules for :store functions. `interactive?' may be passed as the argument to these functions. I've also moved the org-id specific logic from `org-store-link` to `org-id-store-link`, and added the `interactive?` argument to link store functions as discussed. >> So my question is: should search strings be added to all org-id links? > Sounds as a reasonable default, but users should have an option to revert to previous behaviour with heading id being stored. The default value for the new option `org-id-link-use-context` is `t`, but it can be set to `nil` (or disabled with a prefix argument to `org-store-link` temporarily). This is a change in default behaviour when storing ID links with point at a subheading, named block, or target, or with an active region. The option `org-id-link-consider-parent-id` I've left with a default value of `nil`, since I'm not sure if everyone will want this behaviour. Thanks Rick