* Tutorials
@ 2007-07-08  7:09 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-08  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Hi,

today I have a request/proposal to make.

If you look around of the web and search for "emacs" and "org-mode",
you will see that the two documents that had the biggest impact
in getting new users interested in Org-mode are

- David O'Toole's Tutorial of basic structure and TODO lists
   http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/OrgTutorial.html

- Charles Cave's writeup about Org-mode and GTD at
   http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/orgmode.html

The impact of these two document has been huge, much more than
the manual or my (admittedly quite boring) web page.

This is why I tink it would be great to have more tutorials.
There are several areas where a step-by-step tutorial,
with lots of screen shots in the way David wrote his
could be easily made.

If you have been thinking about a way to give a contribution
back to Org-mode (and I know there are people who did),
this might be a way to do this without having to be a Lisp
programmer.

Areas I can think of, which could be well describe with
a tutorial with screen shots are:

- Table editor basics
- Formulas in tables
- Hyperlinks
- Setting and using Tags
- Properties and column view
- Timestamps and project planning
- How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).

The summer break is near, and you cannot sit on the
beach for ever :-)

- Carsten

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-08 14:32 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-07-08 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> The impact of these two document has been huge, much more than
> the manual or my (admittedly quite boring) web page.

One thing I want to mention---people get you and I confused because
our websites look almost exactly the same. Maybe one of us should make
a few tweaks to the CSS, otherwise people will keep sending org.el bug
reports to me :-)

> This is why I tink it would be great to have more tutorials.
> There are several areas where a step-by-step tutorial,
> with lots of screen shots in the way David wrote his
> could be easily made.

I used a bit of elisp to make the screenshot process easier.  It makes
numbered screenshots using ImageMagick (i.e. the "import" command.)
You may need to tweak things for your system.

It's at http://dto.freeshell.org/e/eeshot.el

> - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
>   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).

I could probably do one of these, especially in regard to Eon. A big
part of the Eon idea is to make some really interesting things happen
with large databases of many org-mode files, which have embedded lisp
data. I am building a sort of annotation system that can read various
org-mode data/properties/timestamps as well as embedded lisp data in
an Eon-specific format. This is the further development of the Linkd
and CellMode ideas and I'm pretty excited about it.

Hey Carsten, it would be interesting to hear your feedback on
the ideas written up at http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Eon.html

There is some working code, but not quite usable yet...

--
David O'Toole
dto@gnu.org
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-08 16:02 ` Jost Burkardt
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-07-08 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Hi,

Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration -
my favourite feature.

Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?

 Jost

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-08 17:04   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-08 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost Burkardt; +Cc: org-mode

On Jul 8, 2007, at 18:02, Jost Burkardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration -
> my favourite feature.

Great.

> Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
> Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?

I'd be happy to host it on my site.

- Carsten

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-09  9:32   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-09  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David O'Toole; +Cc: org-mode

Hi David,

On Jul 8, 2007, at 16:32, David O'Toole wrote:

> One thing I want to mention---people get you and I confused because
> our websites look almost exactly the same. Maybe one of us should make
> a few tweaks to the CSS, otherwise people will keep sending org.el bug
> reports to me :-)

Of course they look the same, because I stole your css file :-)

As I am completely wasted when it comes to creating css,
I guess you have three options to deal with this.

- tell me to stop using your design (bad)
- change your design (better, but not appropriate)
- create a modified style for my org-mode web page
   (clearly the best option? :-)

> Hey Carsten, it would be interesting to hear your feedback on
> the ideas written up at http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Eon.html

I did not have time to look into that yet.

- Carsten

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-10 10:41 ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-07-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
>   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).

I have most of one of these sitting in a folded, cobwebby headline in
my main projects file.  I'll see about dusting it off and polishing it
off.

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-10 10:43   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-07-10 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost Burkardt; +Cc: org-mode

Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de> writes:

> Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration -
> my favourite feature.
>
> Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
> Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?

For tutorials like this, emacswiki would be entirely appropriate and
useful.  Just be sure to give it a good title and link to it from the
OrgMode page.

@ 2007-07-10 15:26     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-07-10 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray <at> carcosa.net> writes:

> Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt <at> web.de> writes:
>
> > Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration -
> > my favourite feature.
> >
> > Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
> > Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?
>
> For tutorials like this, emacswiki would be entirely appropriate and
> useful.  Just be sure to give it a good title and link to it from the
> OrgMode page.

I agree 100% ! We could even build a dedicated org page.

Xavier

* Re: Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-10 16:42       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-10 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 10, 2007, at 17:26, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray <at> carcosa.net> writes:
>

>> Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt <at> web.de> writes:
>>
>>> Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration
>>> -
>>> my favourite feature.
>>>
>>> Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
>>> Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?
>>
>> For tutorials like this, emacswiki would be entirely appropriate and
>> useful.  Just be sure to give it a good title and link to it from the
>> OrgMode page.
>
> I agree 100% ! We could even build a dedicated org page.

There is an OrgMode page, but it is quite messy.  Clearly
a cleanup would be good, along with links to more tutorials.

- Carsten

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-10 16:56         ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-07-10 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik <at> gmail.com> writes:

> >> For tutorials like this, emacswiki would be entirely appropriate and
> >> useful.  Just be sure to give it a good title and link to it from the
> >> OrgMode page.
> >
> > I agree 100% ! We could even build a dedicated org page.
>
> There is an OrgMode page, but it is quite messy.  Clearly
> a cleanup would be good, along with links to more tutorials.

I meant an OrgMode category in fact :)

* Re: Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-07-10 19:32       ` Jost Burkardt
From: Jost Burkardt @ 2007-07-10 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <maillaxa@gmail.com> writes:

> Jason F. McBrayer <jmcbray <at> carcosa.net> writes:
>

>> Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt <at> web.de> writes:
>>
>> > Maybe I could put something together about remember-mode integration -
>> > my favourite feature.
>> >
>> > Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
>> > Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?
>>
>> For tutorials like this, emacswiki would be entirely appropriate and
>> useful.  Just be sure to give it a good title and link to it from the
>> OrgMode page.
>
> I agree 100% ! We could even build a dedicated org page.
>
> Xavier

Then I'll start with emacswiki, hopefully I get something useful together soon.

Jost

----

BEWEIS DURCH BEISPIEL: der Autor behandelt nur den Fall n=2 und
unterstellt dann, daß die Vorgehensweise für den allgemeinen Fall klar
ist.

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-09-02  1:00   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-02  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

   > - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
   >   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).

   I have most of one of these sitting in a folded, cobwebby headline in
   my main projects file.  I'll see about dusting it off and polishing it
   off.

Any news of this piece of dust ? :) I am really curious about how
people are actually using org-mode to try to find the best
combination for me. By the way I loved John's article.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-09-02  8:21   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jost Burkardt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jost,

   Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
   Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?

Did you find time to publish it then ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-09-02 10:59     ` Cezar
From: Cezar @ 2007-09-02 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Jost,
>
>    Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
>    Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?
>
> Did you find time to publish it then ?
>
> 	Xavier
> --
> http://www.gnu.org
> http://www.april.org
> http://www.lolica.org

What are you reffering to ? Is this an emacs/org related tutorial ?
I would be happy tp host it.

Regards,
Cezar

* Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-09-02 16:40     ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-09-02 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>    > - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
>    >   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).
>
>    I have most of one of these sitting in a folded, cobwebby headline in
>    my main projects file.  I'll see about dusting it off and polishing it
>    off.
>
> Any news of this piece of dust ? :) I am really curious about how
> people are actually using org-mode to try to find the best
> combination for me. By the way I loved John's article.

I'm working on it for a few minutes most mornings before work.  It's
getting a little long, I'm afraid, and once I finish it, it will need a
good edit before posting.  Also needs updating for post-5.04 changes.
But I do still intend to publish it.

@ 2007-09-03  1:00       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-03  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

   >    Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
   >
   >    > - How you, personally, use Org-mode for plannig and
   >    >   monitoring your tasks (we could have *many* of those).
   >
   >    I have most of one of these sitting in a folded, cobwebby headline in
   >    my main projects file.  I'll see about dusting it off and polishing it
   >    off.
   >
   > Any news of this piece of dust ? :) I am really curious about how
   > people are actually using org-mode to try to find the best
   > combination for me. By the way I loved John's article.

   I'm working on it for a few minutes most mornings before work.  It's
   getting a little long, I'm afraid, and once I finish it, it will need a
   good edit before posting.  Also needs updating for post-5.04 changes.
   But I do still intend to publish it.

Taking time is permited :) I can wait a bit longer.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Re: Tutorials
@ 2007-09-03  1:00       ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-09-03  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cezar; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

   >    Any Idea, where to publish it? I currently have no web-site running.
   >    Maybe emacswiki is an good place to put it? Other Ideas?
   >
   > Did you find time to publish it then ?

   What are you reffering to ? Is this an emacs/org related tutorial ?
   I would be happy tp host it.

This is targeted at Jost ;) And yes, I alked about an orgmode
tutorial he wanted to release /soon/ :/

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org