From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Jost Burkardt <jost.burkardt@web.de>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Request: org as minor mode?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:44:25 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 3, 2007, at 8:46, Jost Burkardt wrote:

> ... forgot to include emacs-orgmode list on CC
>
> Hi Dominik,
>
> reading this discussion, I just want to throw in something, which is
> quite a while on my mind: What about deriving org-mode from the
> minor-mode outliner "allout-mode", which provides outlining
> capabilities for non-text modes (plus some goodies like encryption of
> subtrees).

Not a bad idea, but it is too late for that.  Org-mode is married to
outline-mode, I don't think I could chaange this without re-writing
large parts.

>  Allout manages the key-binding problem with a standard
> prefix `C-c <SPACE>' to all keys plus some hotkeys for quick movement,
> when you on a heading. That sounds quite like, what you have explained
> for orgtbl-mode.

Yes, a special prefix would do it, but I believe Raman's original
proposal also refers to the ease at which you can make and edit lists,
and long 4-key-stroke access to commands is annoying.

> I'd really like to be able to manage my task directly within my source
> files (and have the great tagging available!!!). An other use-case
> would be managing task within in a emacs-muse file, like planner-mode
> does.

> I can imagine, that this would be a major effort, esp. how to handle
> keywords, like SCHEDULED, HEADLINE,... (within comments?), but as I
> said, I would really like your opinion on this.

Well, if we had a minor mode that would be possible, but when
applied to source code it would require a language with block
comments.  Making it work in comments where the first character of each
line is a special comment character, that would be too hard.

Also, with many source files, building the agenda or TODO list
would read all those files into emacs, and it would be slow.

- Carsten