From: Kodi Arfer <listu@arfer.net>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How is the return value of `org-babel-execute:FOO` interpreted?
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 08:49:12 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2021 Oct 03 Sun 8:39:37 AM -0400, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Yes, this is my code block:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src hy :file g/foo.png
>>> (plt.scatter [1 2 3] [4 5 -9])
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> What about
>>
>> #+begin_src hy :results file :file g/foo.png
>> (plt.scatter [1 2 3] [4 5 -9])
>> #+end_src
>>
>> ?
>
> If this code works for you, the problem is the folloing incompatible
> change in Org 9.3 (see etc/ORG-NEWS file in the repo):
>
> * Version 9.3
> ** Incompatible changes
> *** ~:file~ header argument no longer assume "file" ~:results~
>
> The "file" ~:results~ value is now mandatory for a code block
> returning a link to a file.  The ~:file~ or ~:file-ext~ header
> arguments no longer imply a "file" result is expected.

It works, thank you. I should've looked at the changelog more closely. I wonder why this change was made. It would be annoyingly redundant to put `:results file` next to every `:file`. I already have code to change the default value of `:results` when `:file` is set, for a different Babel language, so I should be able to adapt that to this language.