* Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-26 16:19 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-26 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

org-mode 5.10 is available at http://org-mode.org

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 5.10
-----------------------

* Overview

   - Category and the archive location can be properties.
   - The clocktable has a new `:scope' parameter.
   - CSV support when importing a table.
   - Better defaults when modifying a time stamp.
   - New way to specify the duration of an appointment.
   - More aggressive version of orgstruct-mode improved wrapping.
   - Modifications to priority cycling.
   - Modifications to computations in column view.
   - New command `org-occur-in-agenda-files'.
   - Bug fixes.

* Details

   - Both the category and the archive location in a (sub)tree of
     the buffer can now be specified using a property, for
     example:

      * Tree with special properties
        :PROPERTIES:
          :CATEGORY: Examples
          :ARCHIVE:  /some/special/file::
        :END:

     This is a much cleaner way of dealing with multiple
     categories and archives in a single file.  The preferred use
     of the #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE lines is now to set a
     *single* default for the file which is then locally
     overruled by properties.  This was a proposal from Bastien
     if I remember correctly.  Multiple `#+' lines still work
     and I don't plan to remove this support soon, but I
     encourage you to stop using them.

   - The clocktable has a new `:scope' parameter that determines
     the range in the file from which clock entries should be
     taken.  This can be anything from the local subtree to the
     entire buffer to even the full list of agenda files.  Legal
     values are:

       value     scope
      ---------+-------------------------------------------------
       nil       the current buffer or narrowed region
       file      the full current buffer
       subtree   the subtree where the clocktable is located
       treeN     the surrounding level N tree, for example tree3
       tree      the surrounding level 1 tree
       agenda    all agenda files

     Thanks to Jason F. McBrayer and Bernt Hansen for
     inspiration.  Thanks to cranreuch (what is you full name?)
     for mentioning, at the right moment, that the clocktable is
     not so bad - that remark made it seem worthwhile to add
     features.

   - The commands to import a table and to convert a region to a
     table can now handle comma-separated values (CSV).  The
     algorithm does not yet treat quoting correctly, but for
     basic input it works.

   - When modifying an existing time stamp, or when entering the
     second stamp of a range, the date prompt will now
     consistently default to the date/time in the existing stamp.
     This was triggered by Nuutti Kotivuori's request.

   - At the date/time prompt, there is a new way to specify a
     range of hours, by using "+DURATION" after the time.  For
     example:

       14:00+2  means 14:00-16:00
       2pm+2:30 means 14:00-16:30

     Again, Nuutti Kotivuori's request.

   - When you use the function `turn-on-orgstruct++' to turn on
     orgstruct-mode, the special org-mode settings for
     auto-filling, indentation and paragraphs are exported into
     the buffer, so that typing list items with indentation works
     better.  This was Bastien's idea and request.

   - New variable `org-priority-start-cycle-with-default'.  When
     t (the default), priority cycling will initially set the
     default priority and then increase or decrease.  When nil,
     the first priority set by cycling is already 1 different
     from the default priority.  This was mostly driven by
     Bastien.

   - In column view: When an entry has a property for a summary
     column defined, its value is normally overwritten by the sum
     of all the children's values each time you enter column
     view.  Now there is an exception to this rule: If none of
     the children has that particular property defined, the
     parent's value stays.  In this way you can still place TODO
     items under such an entry without getting the property value
     changed.  Thanks to Russel Adams for pointing out that this
     is a better way of doing things.

   - In column view, computed values are now bold face, and
     trying to edit them is an error.  I think this works, but
     testing is appreciated.

   - New command `org-occur-in-agenda-files', this is basically
     the quick command John Wiegley proposed the other day, but
     it also works when the agenda files are not yet in buffers.
     The key is `C-c C-x /', any better proposals?

   - Links containing a space will now be handled correctly when
     calling the browser.  Note that you need to enclose such
     links in square or angular brackets.

   - Bug fixes.

* Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-26 20:48 ` Xiao-Yong Jin
From: Xiao-Yong Jin @ 2007-09-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi,
>
> org-mode 5.10 is available at http://org-mode.org
>
> Enjoy!
>
> - Carsten

I believe it's http://orgmode.org without the dash `-'?

And I also have two issues.

  1. I'm not able to export the file as Latex.  It says

     org-export-as-latex: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, t

  2. Column groups in table are exported wrongly as ASCII.  Take the example
     in the info section.  That table is exported into

       N | N^2 | N^3   N^4   sqrt(n) | sqrt[4](N)
     ----+-----+-----+-----+---------+------------
       1 |   1 |   1     1         1 |          1
       2 |   4 |   8    16    1.4142 |     1.1892
       3 |   9 |  27    81    1.7321 |     1.3161

     The later two vertical lines are wrong.

Xiao-Yong
--
    c/*    __o/*
    <\     * (__

* Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-27  1:26   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-27  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xiao-Yong Jin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 26, 2007, at 22:48, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:

>   2. Column groups in table are exported wrongly as ASCII.  Take the
> example
>      in the info section.  That table is exported into
>
>        N | N^2 | N^3   N^4   sqrt(n) | sqrt[4](N)
>      ----+-----+-----+-----+---------+------------
>        1 |   1 |   1     1         1 |          1
>        2 |   4 |   8    16    1.4142 |     1.1892
>        3 |   9 |  27    81    1.7321 |     1.3161
>
>      The later two vertical lines are wrong.

Fixed, thanks.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-27 15:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

On Sep 26, 2007, at 18:19, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> org-mode 5.10 is available at http://org-mode.org

Typo in the webaddress: http://orgmode.org

- Carsten

* Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-27 20:35 ` Bernt Hansen
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-09-27 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>   - The clocktable has a new `:scope' parameter.

Cool! :)  So now I can split my files again and still get a daily
summary across all file.  Thanks!

I just noticed that clock table reports show up in reverse now with the
level 1 summary at the bottom and not the top of the report.

Bernt

* Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-27 20:39   ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2007-09-27 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> I just noticed that clock table reports show up in reverse now with the
> level 1 summary at the bottom and not the top of the report.

It seems to be okay for :scope agenda but reversed for everything else
I've tried.

Bernt

* Re: Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-28 13:17   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-09-28 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>   - The clocktable has a new `:scope' parameter.
>
> Cool! :)  So now I can split my files again and still get a daily
> summary across all file.  Thanks!

I haven't gotten to try the new clocktable features yet, but from the
description, it seems to cover everything I could possibly need in the
area of time tracking :)

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Re: Release org-mode 5.10
@ 2007-09-29  5:03   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-29  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

@ 2007-10-08 21:11     ` Adam Spiers
From: Adam Spiers @ 2007-10-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 09:17:52AM -0400, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> Bernt Hansen <bernt@alumni.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>
> > Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >>   - The clocktable has a new `:scope' parameter.
> >
> > Cool! :)  So now I can split my files again and still get a daily
> > summary across all file.  Thanks!
>
> I haven't gotten to try the new clocktable features yet, but from the
> description, it seems to cover everything I could possibly need in the
> area of time tracking :)

Neither have I.  Any chance of someone posting an example of how they
use it?