* Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
@ 2014-11-04  1:44 Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2014-11-04  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello, when I do `org-plot/gnuplot' on a org-plot figure it says
“org-plot/gnuplot: Cannot open load file: gnuplot”.

I also tried org-babel-gnuplot, and on an example code, C-c C-c says
“org-babel-execute-src-block: No org-babel-execute function for
gnuplot!”.

I’m under Debian Testing (Jessy), have version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1
(i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-09-07 on babin,
modified by Debian", with Org version 7.9.3f, I’ve installed gnuplot-x11
package via distro, then gnuplot-mode via distro *and* elpa, then org-babel
via ELPA (not found in distro), and I put some come in my init.el to
activate gnuplot, according this:
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>.

What could be the cause?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 948 bytes --]

* Re: Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
@ 2014-11-04  2:47 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-11-04  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garreau, Alexandre; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 3, 2014 7:44 PM, "Garreau, Alexandre" <galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:

> Hello, when I do `org-plot/gnuplot' on a org-plot figure it says
> “org-plot/gnuplot: Cannot open load file: gnuplot”.
>
> I also tried org-babel-gnuplot, and on an example code, C-c C-c says
> “org-babel-execute-src-block: No org-babel-execute function for
> gnuplot!”.
>
> I’m under Debian Testing (Jessy), have version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1
> (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-09-07 on babin,
> modified by Debian", with Org version 7.9.3f, I’ve installed gnuplot-x11
> package via distro, then gnuplot-mode via distro *and* elpa, then
org-babel
> via ELPA (not found in distro), and I put some come in my init.el to
> activate gnuplot, according this:
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>.
>
> What could be the cause?

Let me take a look. I believe I wrote that worg page a long time ago. I no
longer use gnuplot but would be happy to try and reproduce!

Could you post the gnuplot/babel relevant stuff from your .emacs?

For the record, I'm on Org 8+ and there have been a lot of changes since
7.9, so my results and yours may vary. Then again, I would have written
that from 7.x, so who knows. More in a bit, unless someone beats me :)

John

* Re: Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
@ 2014-11-04  3:48 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-11-04  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garreau, Alexandre; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Greetings,

Just took a look at the worg page and gave it a whirl in the style of
Org 8.x. Indeed, the babel/setup section is oudated, and I'm not sure
if 7.9.3f is on the "old style" or new style. I thought there was a
sort of "pre-8.0" version of Org that still adhered to the newer
syntax. In any case, take a look at the attached .org file with my
minimal setup which works successfully for me. Hopefully it's
self-explanatory. I attached my pdf export as well.

I was going to update worg while I was at it... but it seems to be
down for me, at least intermittently. Very odd, as
downforeveryoneorjustme.com says orgmode.org is up... but I can't ping
it and get webpage not available in both Chrome and Firefox??

In any case, hopefully this gets you going and I'll update the worg page.

Please note the section about gnuplot.el. Perhaps at one time this
needed to be downloaded from somewhere else. It shipped with my linux
package, and I downloaded gnuplot right from their site, which also
contains gnuplot.el, so you should be all set as long as you have
gnuplot installed/in your path (try going `$ gnuplot --version` from a
terminal) and copy gnuplot.el to one of your load-path locations.
Redundant to put that in the email as it's in the attached, but for
skimmers who aren't going to download I thought I'd say it twice :)

Best regards,
John

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 7:44 PM, Garreau, Alexandre
<galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
> Hello, when I do `org-plot/gnuplot' on a org-plot figure it says
> “org-plot/gnuplot: Cannot open load file: gnuplot”.
>
> I also tried org-babel-gnuplot, and on an example code, C-c C-c says
> “org-babel-execute-src-block: No org-babel-execute function for
> gnuplot!”.
>
> I’m under Debian Testing (Jessy), have version "GNU Emacs 24.3.1
> (i586-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.12.2) of 2014-09-07 on babin,
> modified by Debian", with Org version 7.9.3f, I’ve installed gnuplot-x11
> package via distro, then gnuplot-mode via distro *and* elpa, then org-babel
> via ELPA (not found in distro), and I put some come in my init.el to
> activate gnuplot, according this:
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>.
>
> What could be the cause?

[-- Attachment #2: gnuplot-test.org --]

* setup

- Created the following (saved to =~/Desktop/gnuplot-test/min-config=)

#+begin_src min-config

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
;;(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/site-lisp")

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((gnuplot . t)))

#+end_src

- installed gnuplot (Arch linux repo)
- the pkg shipped with a =/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnuplot.el=
  - I downloaded gnuplot-4.6.6 from the official site; it alco contains gnuplot.el
  - I don't think downloading it elsewhere is necessary[fn:1]
- copied this file to =~/.elisp/site-lisp= (which is in load-path above)

Ran this file as follows:
- =$ emacs -Q=
- =M-x load-file RET ~/Desktop/gnuplot-test/min-config=
- =C-x C-f ~/Desktop/gnuplot-test/gnuplot-test.org=
- Tried both on the contents in the next headling:
  - =C-c C-c= on each block, checking .png output
  - =C-c C-e l p= to export to Latex, which also worked

That's it!

* a couple tests

table:

#+tblname: data-table
| x | y1 | y2 |
|---+----+----|
| 0 |  3 |  6 |
| 1 |  4 |  7 |
| 2 |  5 |  8 |

plot code

#+begin_src gnuplot :var data=data-table :export both :file table.png
reset

plot data u 1:2 w lines lw 2 title 'Data Set 1'

#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
[[file:table.png]]

#+begin_src gnuplot :exports both :file functions.png
reset

set title "Putting it All Together"

set xlabel "X"
set xrange [-8:8]
set xtics -8,2,8

set ylabel "Y"
set yrange [-20:70]
set ytics -20,10,70

f(x) = x**2
g(x) = x**3
h(x) = 10*sqrt(abs(x))

plot f(x) w lp lw 1, g(x) w p lw 2, h(x) w l lw 3
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
[[file:functions.png]]

* Footnotes

[fn:1] For example, googling "gnuplot.el" led me to https://github.com/bruceravel/gnuplot-mode/

[-- Attachment #3: gnuplot-test.pdf --]

* Re: Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
@ 2014-11-05  0:33   ` Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2014-11-05  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Le 04/11/2014 à 03h47, John Hendy a écrit :
> Could you post the gnuplot/babel relevant stuff from your .emacs?

This:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
;; active Babel languages
(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((gnuplot . t)))
;; add additional languages with '((language . t)))
#+END_SRC

Of course it’s not enough. It doesn’t work. I saw this here:
<http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>
(got the link on #org-mode asking for help).

Le 04/11/2014 à 04h48, John Hendy a écrit :
> Just took a look at the worg page and gave it a whirl in the style of
> Org 8.x. Indeed, the babel/setup section is oudated, and I'm not sure
> if 7.9.3f is on the "old style" or new style. I thought there was a
> sort of "pre-8.0" version of Org that still adhered to the newer
> syntax. In any case, take a look at the attached .org file with my
> minimal setup which works successfully for me. Hopefully it's
> self-explanatory. I attached my pdf export as well.

I already tried to eval your code, and it… oh… it turns out it works…
but… it’s the same that mine in my .emacs.d/init.el.

/And then, once more, it suddenly worked without any explanation/

Ok it works it’s great. Does any plot previewing exist? I mean, with the
image *in* the buffer, like for LaTeX preview feature (maybe I should
ask in a separate mail…)?

@ 2014-11-05  0:42     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2014-11-05  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Garreau, Alexandre; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM, Garreau, Alexandre
<galex-713@galex-713.eu> wrote:
> Le 04/11/2014 à 03h47, John Hendy a écrit :
>> Could you post the gnuplot/babel relevant stuff from your .emacs?
>
> This:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
> ;; active Babel languages
> (org-babel-do-load-languages
>  'org-babel-load-languages
>  '((gnuplot . t)))
> ;; add additional languages with '((language . t)))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Of course it’s not enough. It doesn’t work. I saw this here:
> <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-gnuplot.html>
> (got the link on #org-mode asking for help).

What's not enough? The docs also state (a bit above the babel lines):

#+begin_quote
Babel support for gnuplot requires that gnuplot be installed on your
system, along with gnuplot.el, an Emacs major mode for interacting
with gnuplot. You can install gnuplot.el with ELPA.
#+end_quote

From my min-config, you can see that enabling gnuplot in babel and
pointing to gnuplot.el are enough. Is this what you mean (that you
need gnuplot.el + the babel lines)?

> Le 04/11/2014 à 04h48, John Hendy a écrit :
>> Just took a look at the worg page and gave it a whirl in the style of
>> Org 8.x. Indeed, the babel/setup section is oudated, and I'm not sure
>> if 7.9.3f is on the "old style" or new style. I thought there was a
>> sort of "pre-8.0" version of Org that still adhered to the newer
>> syntax. In any case, take a look at the attached .org file with my
>> minimal setup which works successfully for me. Hopefully it's
>> self-explanatory. I attached my pdf export as well.
>
> I already tried to eval your code, and it… oh… it turns out it works…
> but… it’s the same that mine in my .emacs.d/init.el.

You mean you didn't change your .init.el and yet it began working when
the exact same setup was previously not working?

> /And then, once more, it suddenly worked without any explanation/
>
> Ok it works it’s great. Does any plot previewing exist? I mean, with the
> image *in* the buffer, like for LaTeX preview feature (maybe I should
> ask in a separate mail…)?

See org-toggle-inline-images:
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Handling-links.html#fnd-6

After C-c C-c on both blocks in the test file I sent (you need the the
resultant image links in the file), I did C-c C-x C-v per the manual
and get the attached as the result.

Best regards,
John

[-- Attachment #2: 2014-11-04_184127.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 59111 bytes --]

* Re: Org-plot/org-babel-gnuplot not working
@ 2014-11-05  0:57       ` Garreau, Alexandre
From: Garreau, Alexandre @ 2014-11-05  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode