From: Emmanuel Charpentier <emm.charpentier@free.fr>
To: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Slight problems with links
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:35:50 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear list,

one of my uses od org-mode is to prepare documents wrapping R (and
sometimes Sagemath) call results in interpretation text. My reference
output is .pdf documents, but I *have* to prepare a .docx version (for
use in managerial spheres, where computer literacy is *very* low.
Cross-references and citations are a sine qua non, maths are useful.

I have been annoyed by a couple of deficiencies and inconsistencies
between exporters, so I prepared a test document testing various cases.
This documents and some exports are too big to be atached but can be
downloaded  from
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T6N_-WwphlnL2mB4f6BgX0u1K5mLnz4i (NE
= Native exporter, PE= ox-pandoc exporter).

TL;DR :

  * I tested the built-in latex/pdf exporter as well as ox-pandoc, the
latter both for .pdf and .docx export. The built-in ODT exporter
doesn't export citations ; therefore, I didn't test it further.

  * org-ref's :labels and :refs do not export to anything but the
built-in latex exporter. The native system of #+NAME:s and #+CAPTION:s,
a bit on the heavy side, seems not to fail (except that they do not
expand in a caption...).

  * Maths, tables, figures are unproblematic.

  * The requirements of org-reftex, the built-in latex exporter and ox-
pandoc being mutually incompatible, and some ingenuity is required. see
the org source. Org-ref's requirements do not simplify the
situation...

  * Code snippets (i. e. source blocks exporting code) have a
captioning/numbering problem :

    - With the built-in latex exporter, they are numbered and labeled
as figures.

    - The pandoc latex exporter numbers them separately (as seen by
referencing them), but do not output this number (nor the category)
before the caption.

    - The pandoc .docx exporter works as advertised.

So I have a couple of questions:

  * What can be done to reconcile org-ref's, latex-exporter's and ox-
pandoc's requirements for bibliographies ?

  * How to fix the pdf exporters' quirks with code snippets ?

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier