* Older versions
@ 2010-12-03 19:37 David Dyer-Bennet
From: David Dyer-Bennet @ 2010-12-03 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

The only org-mode distributions I can find on the website say they don't
work with the versions of emacs I have available.

Our latest servers are running with CentOS 5.5 (same as Redhat Enterprise
5.5), which has emacs 21.4.1.  Many of our older servers are running
CentOS 4.7 or so.

How badly does org-mode 7.3 not work with emacs 21.4?  And/or where can I
find older versions, with info on which emacs they work with?

(I hope there's a good reason for this high a level of version dependency!)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info

* Re: Older versions
@ 2010-12-03 19:48 ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-12-03 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Dyer-Bennet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> The only org-mode distributions I can find on the website say they don't
> work with the versions of emacs I have available.
>
> Our latest servers are running with CentOS 5.5 (same as Redhat Enterprise
> 5.5), which has emacs 21.4.1.  Many of our older servers are running
> CentOS 4.7 or so.
>
> How badly does org-mode 7.3 not work with emacs 21.4?  And/or where can I
> find older versions, with info on which emacs they work with?

I'm not sure where you can find this, but as this page [1] says,
support for emacs has been dropped from Orgmode 7.x only. Use 6.36c
instead. A link to it, is provided in that page.

[1] -- http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2_1_1

-- Puneeth

* Re: Older versions
@ 2010-12-03 22:17   ` David Dyer-Bennet
From: David Dyer-Bennet @ 2010-12-03 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, December 3, 2010 13:48, Puneeth wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 1:07 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>> The only org-mode distributions I can find on the website say they don't
>> work with the versions of emacs I have available.
>>
>> Our latest servers are running with CentOS 5.5 (same as Redhat
>> Enterprise
>> 5.5), which has emacs 21.4.1. Â Many of our older servers are running
>> CentOS 4.7 or so.
>>
>> How badly does org-mode 7.3 not work with emacs 21.4? Â And/or where can
>> find older versions, with info on which emacs they work with?
>
> I'm not sure where you can find this, but as this page [1] says,
> support for emacs has been dropped from Orgmode 7.x only. Use 6.36c
> instead. A link to it, is provided in that page.
>
> [1] -- http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#sec-2_1_1

Given the two URLs, I have now deduced the pattern for downloading
older distributions :-) .  I still can't see a list of what's
available, but the ones mentioned publicly that I've tried have all
existed.  (It's just the obvious:
http://orgmode.org/org-<version>.tar.gz )

Thanks for finding the confirmation that 6.36c is supposed to work
with Emacs 21.

Unfortunately it doesn't.  I've gotten failures on two missing files
so far, sha1.el and hex-utils.el.  I brought those over from a 23
distribution, they don't seem to have anything that won't work in 21.

So now I'm getting:

emacs -batch -q -no-site-file -eval "(setq load-path (cons
(expand-file-name \"./lisp/\\
") (cons \"/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp\" load-path)))" -f
batch-byte-compile lisp/\
org-freemind.el
(source)...
While compiling toplevel forms in file
/nfshome/ddb/org-6.36c/lisp/org-freemind.el:
  !! error (("Invalid escape character syntax"))
Done
make: *** [lisp/org-freemind.elc] Error 1

Examining org-freemind.el doesn't show me anything obvious.  Trying to
byte-compile within emacs gives me a completely unrelated error:

Compiling file /nfshome/ddb/org-6.36c/lisp/org-freemind.el at Fri Dec  3
16:11:57 2010
  !! File error (("Cannot open load file" "org"))

(This seems to be load-path related, and I think just changing my load-path
will fix this, and then MAYBE I'll see what the error in
org-freemind.el is perhaps, I dunno.)

Anyway, no, 6.36c certainly doesn't work with emacs 21.4.1 as
installed by Centos 5.5 (emacs-21.4-20.el5, to be precise).