* archiving
@ 2007-06-21 14:06 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set to the
current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.

Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?

When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be the date
that the item was actually completed.

Dave in Largo, FL

* Re: archiving
@ 2007-06-22 15:43 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:

> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set
> to the
> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.
>
> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>
> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be
> the date
> that the item was actually completed.

You mean, taken from the CLOSED time stamp?

- Carsten

* Re: archiving
@ 2007-06-22 16:43   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-22 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:
>

>> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is
>> set to the
>> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.
>>
>> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>>
>> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be
>> the date
>> that the item was actually completed.
>
> You mean, taken from the CLOSED time stamp?
>
> - Carsten

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  Sorry, I should have stated that clearer.
But, what happens if the flag isn't toggled to create a CLOSED time stamp when
a job is DONE?  Wouldn't bother me, as I do have that flag turned on...

Dave

* Re: archiving
@ 2007-06-28 20:03 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:

> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set
> to the
> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.

Actually, the time stamp that is added when the entry is archived
is supposed to tell the time of archiving, not when it was done.
The latter is recorded in the CLOSED time stamp, if you have chosen
to record one.

So my feeling is that this should not be changed, or maybe the time
stamp should be marked more clearly as an archiving time stamp.
Proposals for a better way to do this?

If you prefer not to have a time stamp at all, just turn it off,
of course.

- Carsten

> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>
> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be
> the date
> that the item was actually completed.
>

> Dave in Largo, FL

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Archiving
@ 2010-04-29 17:49 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
it, bu there is my question.

I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
I don't want to.

Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?

Thanks!

Dave in Largo, FL

* Re: Archiving
@ 2010-04-29 18:50 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-29 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
> it, bu there is my question.
>

> I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
> that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
> clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
> see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
> changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
> I don't want to.
>
> Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?

I don't know of an automatic way to do this but I have this manually set
up in my org-files.

I keep level 1 headings as categories/topics and archive level 2
subtrees only.

Each of the level 1 headings has a property that defines where the
archived items should go - so they end up in the same tree structure in
the archive file.

,----
| * Appointments
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Appt
|   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Appointments
|   :END:
| * Miscellaneous
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: todo
|   :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Miscellaneous
|   :END:
`----

Regards,
Bernt

* Re: Archiving
@ 2010-04-29 19:03   ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
>> it, bu there is my question.
>>

>> I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
>> that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
>> clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
>> see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
>> changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
>> I don't want to.
>>
>> Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?
>
> I don't know of an automatic way to do this but I have this manually set
> up in my org-files.
>
> I keep level 1 headings as categories/topics and archive level 2
> subtrees only.
>
> Each of the level 1 headings has a property that defines where the
> archived items should go - so they end up in the same tree structure in
> the archive file.
>
> ,----
> | * Appointments
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :CATEGORY: Appt
> |   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Appointments
> |   :END:
> | * Miscellaneous
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :CATEGORY: todo
> |   :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Miscellaneous
> |   :END:
> `----
>
> Regards,
> Bernt

That would work, but _way_ more work than I would like to do....   I
just want a clean, hide 'em, but keep track of 'em, kind of structure.

Thanks for the info though, maybe I can write a perl script to run that
can go in and modify my .org files to create that....

Dave

* Archiving
@ 2010-08-31  0:46 Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-08-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm quite excited, I've just converted over to Capture from Remember,
and I love the new :empty-lines property!

That was always a pet peeve of mine, I always want at least one blank
line between content and the next header. :empty-lines works great for
that!

Now I've started evaluating archival again, because my files currently
grow endlessly. I noticed that there's no similar option for archive,
and that each archived item is immediately adjacent to the prior
without any buffering newlines.

Could we add a customization to pad newlines between archived items?

I locally patched my org-archive.el to insert two newlines when it
jumps to the end of file, but perhaps a more formal item will work
better later?

Thanks.