emacs-orgmode@gnu.org archives
 help / color / mirror / code / Atom feed
* archiving
@ 2007-06-21 14:06 J. David Boyd
  2007-06-22 15:43 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
  2007-06-28 20:03 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set to the
current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.

Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?

When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be the date
that the item was actually completed.


Dave in Largo, FL

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: archiving
  2007-06-21 14:06 archiving J. David Boyd
@ 2007-06-22 15:43 ` Carsten Dominik
  2007-06-22 16:43   ` archiving J. David Boyd
  2007-06-28 20:03 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode


On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:

>
> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set 
> to the
> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.
>
> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>
> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be 
> the date
> that the item was actually completed.

You mean, taken from the CLOSED time stamp?

- Carsten

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: archiving
  2007-06-22 15:43 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
@ 2007-06-22 16:43   ` J. David Boyd
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: J. David Boyd @ 2007-06-22 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:
>
>>
>> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is
>> set to the
>> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.
>>
>> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>>
>> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be
>> the date
>> that the item was actually completed.
>
> You mean, taken from the CLOSED time stamp?
>
> - Carsten

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.  Sorry, I should have stated that clearer.
But, what happens if the flag isn't toggled to create a CLOSED time stamp when
a job is DONE?  Wouldn't bother me, as I do have that flag turned on...

Dave

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: archiving
  2007-06-21 14:06 archiving J. David Boyd
  2007-06-22 15:43 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
@ 2007-06-28 20:03 ` Carsten Dominik
  1 sibling, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-06-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jun 21, 2007, at 16:06, J. David Boyd wrote:

>
> When I archive an item, into an "_archive" file, the DONE date is set 
> to the
> current date, rather than the date the item was completed on.

Actually, the time stamp that is added when the entry is archived
is supposed to tell the time of archiving, not when it was done.
The latter is recorded in the CLOSED time stamp, if you have chosen
to record one.

So my feeling is that this should not be changed, or maybe the time
stamp should be marked more clearly as an archiving time stamp.
Proposals for a better way to do this?

If you prefer not to have a time stamp at all, just turn it off,
of course.

- Carsten

>
> Is there a variable, (or could there be) to control this?
>
> When I look into an archive file, I would like the DONE dates to be 
> the date
> that the item was actually completed.
>
>
> Dave in Largo, FL
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Emacs-orgmode mailing list
> Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/emacs-orgmode
>
>

--
Carsten Dominik
Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Archiving
@ 2010-08-31  0:46 Russell Adams
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-08-31  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm quite excited, I've just converted over to Capture from Remember,
and I love the new :empty-lines property!

That was always a pet peeve of mine, I always want at least one blank
line between content and the next header. :empty-lines works great for
that!

Now I've started evaluating archival again, because my files currently
grow endlessly. I noticed that there's no similar option for archive,
and that each archived item is immediately adjacent to the prior
without any buffering newlines.

Could we add a customization to pad newlines between archived items?

I locally patched my org-archive.el to insert two newlines when it
jumps to the end of file, but perhaps a more formal item will work
better later?

Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com

PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/

Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Archiving
  2010-04-29 18:50 ` Archiving Bernt Hansen
@ 2010-04-29 19:03   ` J. David Boyd
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 8+ messages in thread
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
>> it, bu there is my question.
>>
>>
>> I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
>> that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
>> clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
>> see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
>> changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
>> I don't want to.
>>
>> Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?
>
> I don't know of an automatic way to do this but I have this manually set
> up in my org-files.
>
> I keep level 1 headings as categories/topics and archive level 2
> subtrees only.
>
> Each of the level 1 headings has a property that defines where the
> archived items should go - so they end up in the same tree structure in
> the archive file.
>
> ,----
> | * Appointments
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :CATEGORY: Appt
> |   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Appointments
> |   :END:      
> |   ...
> | * Miscellaneous
> |   :PROPERTIES:
> |   :CATEGORY: todo
> |   :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Miscellaneous
> |   :END:
> `----
>
> Regards,
> Bernt
>
>


That would work, but _way_ more work than I would like to do....   I
just want a clean, hide 'em, but keep track of 'em, kind of structure.

Thanks for the info though, maybe I can write a perl script to run that
can go in and modify my .org files to create that....

Dave

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Re: Archiving
  2010-04-29 17:49 Archiving J. David Boyd
@ 2010-04-29 18:50 ` Bernt Hansen
  2010-04-29 19:03   ` Archiving J. David Boyd
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2010-04-29 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J. David Boyd; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
> it, bu there is my question.
>
>
> I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
> that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
> clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
> see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
> changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
> I don't want to.
>
> Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?

I don't know of an automatic way to do this but I have this manually set
up in my org-files.

I keep level 1 headings as categories/topics and archive level 2
subtrees only.

Each of the level 1 headings has a property that defines where the
archived items should go - so they end up in the same tree structure in
the archive file.

,----
| * Appointments
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: Appt
|   :ARCHIVE:  %s_archive::* Appointments
|   :END:      
|   ...
| * Miscellaneous
|   :PROPERTIES:
|   :CATEGORY: todo
|   :ARCHIVE: %s_archive::* Miscellaneous
|   :END:
`----

Regards,
Bernt

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

* Archiving
@ 2010-04-29 17:49 J. David Boyd
  2010-04-29 18:50 ` Archiving Bernt Hansen
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 8+ messages in thread
From: J. David Boyd @ 2010-04-29 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode


I've read all the archiving information, and I _think_ that I understand
it, bu there is my question.


I would like to put archived entries into a file, but keep the headlines
that existed when they were 'live', so that when I show them in the
clock, they line up under the parents that owned them.  That way I can
see how much total time I have spent on certain projects, and just by
changing the 'agenda-with-archives' to something else, _not_ see them if
I don't want to.

Is this possible?   Does some guru know how to do this?

Thanks!

Dave in Largo, FL

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 8+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2010-08-31  0:46 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2007-06-21 14:06 archiving J. David Boyd
2007-06-22 15:43 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
2007-06-22 16:43   ` archiving J. David Boyd
2007-06-28 20:03 ` archiving Carsten Dominik
2010-04-29 17:49 Archiving J. David Boyd
2010-04-29 18:50 ` Archiving Bernt Hansen
2010-04-29 19:03   ` Archiving J. David Boyd
2010-08-31  0:46 Archiving Russell Adams

Code repositories for project(s) associated with this public inbox

	https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).