* Error saving remember item in non org-mode buffer
@ 2009-06-16 19:22 Jere McDevitt
From: Jere McDevitt @ 2009-06-16 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Org-mode version: 6.27a

I configured org-remember-templates to use a file named "project.todo" to
hold todo entries for me.

(setq org-remember-templates
        ("Project" ?p "* TODO %?\n %u"  "~/org/project.todo" bottom )))

I hadn't added the .todo extension to the auto-mode-alist so when it was
loaded to be written to by the org-remember-handler, it came up by default
in fundamental-mode, not org-mode.

This generates an error condition that I tracked down in the org-remember.el
file to line 887 in org-remember-handler:

 ((not (org-mode-p))
        (if (eq heading 'top)
            (goto-char (point-min))
          (goto-char (point-max))
          (or (bolp) (newline)))
        (insert text-before-node-creation)

The error is that text-before-node-creation apparently is a nil and the
insert routine is generating an error because of it.  This variable is set
earlier in the handler at around line 845 but only if the text being
inserted does not look like an org-outline-regexp:

  (unless (looking-at org-outline-regexp)
    ;; add a headline
    (setq text-before-node-creation (buffer-string))

Because my template actually does look like an org-outline-regexp (it starts
with "* TODO"), that variable is never set and because the buffer is not in
org-mode, this code is triggered using the text-buffer-node-creation.

The simple work around was to add .todo files to the auto-mode-alist (or I
could have changed the template), but I thought I would post a note about
the problem.

Jere