* limiting export by category, tag or property
@ 2007-07-16  1:28 Patrick Drechsler
From: Patrick Drechsler @ 2007-07-16  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

what is a good way of excluding certain sections of a file from being
exported (similar to `C-c C-e v').

Can this be done by setting "category", "tag" or "property"?

Take this file:

* info for all
  foo
* info for group
  bar
* info private
  <some tag that prevents exporting>
  bla

I would like to export everything except the section "info private".

Taking this idea a bit further: An export feature which is keyword
dependent would also be nice. Here is example:

* info for all
  <export-tag: documentation>
  foo
* info for group
  <export-tag: todo-status=done>
  bar
* info private
  <export-tag: user=fred>
  bla

And then being able to create an export according to the tag.

WDYT?

Cheers,

Patrick
--
Schwerer als Luft? Flugmaschinen sind unmöglich.
	-- Lord Kelvin, Präsident der Royal Society (1895)

* Re: limiting export by category, tag or property
@ 2007-07-16  6:50 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-07-16  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Drechsler; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:28, Patrick Drechsler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> what is a good way of excluding certain sections of a file from being
> exported (similar to `C-c C-e v').
>
> Can this be done by setting "category", "tag" or "property"?

The tag ARCHIVED will keep a subtree from exporting (depending on the
variable `org-export-with-archived-trees').  But I guess this
is not what you want.

A section starting with the word `org-comment-string' will not
be exported.  Maybe, if you don't use this for comments, change
it to "PRIVATE" or whatever.  Then you can do

   * info for all
     Lets all hail the boss
   * info for group
     Make sure that you ask me before you ask the boss,
     because he is so busy with important stuff.
   * PRIVATE info
     Actually, the boss is a total crackpot.

Properties are new.  I guess if I had known about properties
2 years ago, #+CATEGORY would have become a property.
There are a number of things that could potentially
be set through properties.  This needs more time,
because I am wary about having too many different ways to
set the same variable.  But things that are candidates are:

- Category
- Archive location
- File name for export of a subtree

Carsten