From: Rick Frankel <rick@rickster.com>
To: Xebar Saram <zeltakc@gmail.com>
Cc: org mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: trying to write a guidebook for students using org , need  help with formating
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 12:42:54 -0400	[thread overview]

On 2013-10-22 03:55, Xebar Saram wrote:
> Hi all
>
> i decided to dive into the deep water and get rid of M$ word once and
> for all. I'm still an org novice but since i love org i choose org for
> the task.
>
> I'm trying to write a simple guidebook for my students in a GIS
> course. Everything works great apart for the life of me i cant get the
> hang of formatting and specifically how to insert (automatically?)
> line breaks so that its discrete lines and not a paragraph. i think
> one can use '\' to indicate a line break but since its a guidebook
> "form" there are almost no paragraphs and most line are 1 liners, so
> it seems to me crazy to go over hundred lines of text and attach a \
> at the end. What am i missing here?

I think you are thinking about this in the wrong (microsoft word :)
way: format vs. semantic structure.

A series of steps should either be a list, or an example block. For
instance in your sample, try:

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
Right click on the table name in the TOC panel – "Table of Contents" and
then chose "Display XY data";
Define the X,Y coordinate and data (Z) fields;
Click "Edit" to define the coordinate system (use WGS84);
Click "OK";
Right click on the "event" layer newly created, go to "data"->"export
data", specify a location and give the layer a name [remember: events
are a temporary layer, unless you save it as a shape file, it will
disappear and you will not be able to use it next time]; add it a s new
layer to your project, when asked.
#+END_EXAMPLE

or (since the lines above are too long to fit w/o truncating or
wrapping,

- Right click on the table name in the TOC panel – "Table of Contents"
and then chose "Display XY data";
- Define the X,Y coordinate and data (Z) fields;
- Click "Edit" to define the coordinate system (use WGS84);
- Click "OK";
- Right click on the "event" layer newly created, go to
"data"->"export data", specify a location and give the layer a name
[remember: events are a temporary layer, unless you save it as a
shape file, it will disappear and you will not be able to use it
next time]; add it a s new layer to your project, when asked.

Think about the contents semantically (e.g., something is descriptive
text, or a series of steps, or a code example), instead of how you
think it should look and let org and latex may it look right.

rick