From: Jeffrey Windsor <windsor.10@osu.edu>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Exporting for word processors
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 15:10:43 -0400	[thread overview]

I've tried searching around, and can't find an answer to this: I only
come here as a last resort.

I'm a PhD candidate in English literature, trying to break free from
the crappy tools that proliferate among humanists. My advisor and
committee are all incorrigible Microsoft Word users -- there's no
chance that they'll ever switch. I'd rather use emacs, and
specifically org, for my dissertation. But I need to regularly send
drafts to my committee.

In the past, I've used PDFs (created in org via LaTeX), which works
fine from my perspective, but I've detected some grumbling from the
Microsoft Word users. They want me to fit in with the rest of the
crowd and send them Word docs, too.

Before org, I used MultiMarkdown, which exports to RTF. Since
discovering the more robust org-mode, I've wished I could do the same.
The fact is, I probably *can* do the same, but simply lack the
know-how.

Can anyone help me out? I suspect that docbook is the key, but I've
tried to find an answer there and am flummoxed by the docbook
documentation. Plus, if possible I'd like to have this be a simple
process: if possible I'd like to have a straightforward C-c C-e R and,
voila!, an RTF (or wordml?) file appears on my desktop. I'm a Mac
(aquamacs emacs) user running org 6.26trans, if that makes any
difference.

Can anyone lead me, guide me, show me the way to export an RTF (or
equiv) from a working org file? Or is there a better solution I'm
overlooking?

--jw