From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com>
Cc: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: resheduling from agenda buffer
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 16:07:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sep 28, 2007, at 3:15, Richard G Riley wrote:

> Two questions:
>
> 1) When following the instruction from the following link and
> rescheduling from the agenda buffer, why do I always get
>
> "Item scheduled for nil" in the message bufffer?

his is just a bug, fixed now for the next version.

> 2) What is the reason behind having to manually "refresh" after a
> reschedule in the agenda buffer, why does it not do it automatically?

Initially the reason was technical.  Constructing the agenda can take
a second or more, to automatically reconstructing it after each change
forbids itself.  Just moving around a changed line can be difficult.

However, after giving up on trying to change everything live, I now
happen to think that this is in fact good.   What you really do is look
at a list of tasks and appointments, and you do want to push things
around.  I really like to be able to modify several lines before
getting a rearranged display.  For example:

- When things move around with each change I make, I constantly
   have to follow the changes with my eyes and memory, this is more
   tiring.

- I change a TODO entry to DONE.  That means it should not even be
   in the agenda anymore, and a live update would just get rid of
   the item.  If you made a mistake in marking it done, it is hard to
   find the entry back and change it back.

- I want to reschedule an item to next week.  Will the display then move
   to next week? So I need to go back to today to continue working?

Things like this.  You *do* get visual feedback that an entry has been
modified, and "r" is not hard to press.
So even if I knew how to change it, I would not want to do it.

> (ps Carsten, if you are reading this I found the issue with
> org-return-follows-link - it has to be set before loading Org so cant
> be
> used in normal customization block).

Yes, the docstring of that variable says so.

- Carsten