From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Dieter Grollmann <groll-ay@bluewin.ch>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: Cyclic timestamps for SCHEDULED and DEADLINE
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:07:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On Apr 28, 2006, at 2:33, Dieter Grollmann wrote:

> It's difficult for me to explain this in english, I hope you will
> understand what I mean :-)

Try my German if you want. :-)

> As third part of my life there are some cyclic tasks (meetings of
> an association, comitee of the music school etc) which I normally
> cannot defer or omit, even in "states of emergency".

> So automatic scheduling or deadlining for cyclic tasks which
> would insist on being displayed as TODO until I mark them as DONE
> could be helpful for me in such times.

Yes I understand.  A very basic problem with cyclic scheduling is that
if you don't mark the entry DONE, then you can get many of those tasks
in your agenda.

One simple way would be to create a separate file and just put those
cyclic tasks for the next two years in there.  Emacs Keyboad macros can
be very handy for this:

For example:

Type

    * Meeting of the Music association
      SCHEDULED: <2006-04-28 Fri>

The goto the beginning of the first line and define a keyboard macro:

    C-x (                ; start kbd macro
    C-k C-k C-k C-k      ; kill two lines
    C-y C-y              ; yank back two copies
    use cursor keys to move to month of second entry time stamp
    S-up                 ; to increase the month by one
    C-a <up>             ; to get back to the star of the entry
    C-x )                ; Finish kbd macro

Then execute the kbd macro 24 times to create this entry for the next 2
years.

> Perhaps one day, when you feel bored ... ;-)

:-)  who knows.

- Carsten