Also $ xmodmap .. if you should see an empty row in the output, and a whole bunch of things clustered on the last line, then .. write an ~/.Xmodmap to free up caps-lock and to have it act as the Hyper_L key. two more lines move that modifier into the free row and you get an easy to hit on activation via $ xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap With a US keyboard you might need to create that file, otherwise just add: clear Lock keycode 66 = Hyper_L remove mod4 = Hyper_L add mod3 = Hyper_L I never worked out how to do this in the terminal as emacs is unusable in the terminal on my debians (since i can remember; i use zile there instead). one could maybe make Hyper work outside X via /etc/console-setup/ [remap.inc] p.s. C-x h is your friend. you can not bind H-S-n, but you can bind H-N (for example) $ xev also shows the limits of what you can and can't bind. iac, Caps-lock Enter is refreshingly easy to hit. hope this helps! Sure! Improvements to documentation are always welcome. > Ok, I'll put that on my todo list now that I have solved that shortcut issue... :) > > Jean-Christophe