* DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-08  5:10 Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-08  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I just posted the code for DocBook exporter to Google Code.  You can use
the following link to get access to the code and example files:

  http://code.google.com/p/bcui-emacs/source/browse/#svn/trunk/org-docbook

Here is the README:
#
# File: org-docbook/README
#
# $Id$
#

This is the DocBook exporter for Org-mode, a tool written in Emacs Lisp
to export text files written in Org-mode to DocBook.

This directory contains:

README
    This file.

org-export-docbook.el
    The main part of DocBook exporter code.

org-exp.el
    Slightly modified version of file org-exp.el that is part of
    Org-mode.  Currently this file is synced up with Org-mode 6.24.

test.org
    An Org file used for testing.  It includes all the features that
    current version of DocBook exporter supports.

test.xml
    DocBook XML file exported from test.org.

test.pdf
    PDF file generated from DocBook XML file test.xml.

If you have any comments on how to improve this exporter, please send
email to cbaoqiu AT yahoo DOT com.

You are welcome to try this out, and give me any comments you may have.
Bug reports and ideas on how to improve this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Baoqiu

* Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-08  7:22 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-08  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoqiu Cui; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Baoqui,

thanks for the link to the code.

Forgive me for so far staying quiet on this subject.  When you
first posted the announcement, I had some mixed feelings.

First of all, I don't really know docbook, and I have never used it.

Then:

One of the really weak features in Org's design is that exporting is not
implemented in a generic way.  All exporters share a preprocessing step
that turns Org format into something a little more sane and consistent.
Then each exporter goes its own way.  This setup makes maintenance
sort of a nightmare, because each change to Org syntax needs to be
implemented in all exporters separately.  Maybe you have read my
swearing when I was trying to fix the LaTeX exporter which I did
not understand completely at first - it was written by Bastien.

I had really hoped that the next step in exporting Org would be
to rewrite the exporter from scratch, in a generic way, that will
then make supporting different formatters more stable and easy.
Adding a new exporter does not get us closer to that idea.

And I had feared that your exporter would be a badly hacked
attempt reinventing lots of wheels, that could never become a really
complete export.

I have misjudged severely, the exporter you made looks quite complete,
you have based it very heavily on the XHTML exporter and in this way
it seems to be able to handle the entire Org syntax, if I see
correctly.  So I have now made the changes you require in org-exp.el,
and I would like to include the exporter, once you are satisfied,
into our contrib directory or even, depending on copyright assignment,
into the core.

However, I need to make clear that I have no time to maintain another
exporter, so I would hope that you would be willing to to the necessary
work to keep it up to date and working.

Best wishes

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-08  9:43   ` Alex Ott
From: Alex Ott @ 2009-03-08  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello

 CD> One of the really weak features in Org's design is that exporting is
 CD> not implemented in a generic way.  All exporters share a preprocessing
 CD> step that turns Org format into something a little more sane and
 CD> consistent.  Then each exporter goes its own way.  This setup makes
 CD> maintenance sort of a nightmare, because each change to Org syntax
 CD> needs to be implemented in all exporters separately.  Maybe you have
 CD> read my swearing when I was trying to fix the LaTeX exporter which I
 CD> did not understand completely at first - it was written by Bastien.

 CD> I had really hoped that the next step in exporting Org would be to
 CD> rewrite the exporter from scratch, in a generic way, that will then
 CD> make supporting different formatters more stable and easy.  Adding a
 CD> new exporter does not get us closer to that idea.

I think, that instead of parsing text directly, we need to write generic
exporter, that will export all data as a tree, consisting from header +
list of the entries, and inside these entries provide all needed
information about text (markup, url information, etc.).  And for new export
format, author will define only small piece of code -- mostly header
generation, and replacement tables for formatting tags, urls decorations,
etc.

What do you think about this? I can try to define basic API and we'll see
what we can do

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/        http://xtalk.msk.su/~ott/

* Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-08 13:46     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-08 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Ott; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 8, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Alex Ott wrote:

> Hello

> CD> One of the really weak features in Org's design is that
> exporting is
> CD> not implemented in a generic way.  All exporters share a
> preprocessing
> CD> step that turns Org format into something a little more sane and
> CD> consistent.  Then each exporter goes its own way.  This setup
> makes
> CD> maintenance sort of a nightmare, because each change to Org syntax
> CD> needs to be implemented in all exporters separately.  Maybe you
> have
> CD> read my swearing when I was trying to fix the LaTeX exporter
> which I
> CD> did not understand completely at first - it was written by
> Bastien.
>
> CD> I had really hoped that the next step in exporting Org would be to
> CD> rewrite the exporter from scratch, in a generic way, that will
> then
> CD> make supporting different formatters more stable and easy.
> Adding a
> CD> new exporter does not get us closer to that idea.
>
> I think, that instead of parsing text directly, we need to write
> generic
> exporter, that will export all data as a tree, consisting from
> header +
> list of the entries, and inside these entries provide all needed
> information about text (markup, url information, etc.).  And for new
> export
> format, author will define only small piece of code -- mostly header
> generation, and replacement tables for formatting tags, urls
> decorations,
> etc.

Yes, exactly.  This is exactly the right idea.  A complete
parser that captures the *entire* structure including all meta data,
without being specific to a backend.

There is a start for such a system in the git repo,
in EXPERIMENTAL/org-export.el, written by Bastien.  It does a
pass to get the headline structure of the document, and the properties
as meta data in a property list.   I believe it might not
capture TODO state and/or priority, but I am not certain.

The LaTeX exporter is based on this parser, but it is a half-done job
as it does the parsing only for the outline structure, not really
for the content.

There is also a parser for plain lists, in org-list.el, which
is also used in the LaTeX exporter (yes, Bastien had many of the
right ideas).

The is lots of other meta info like targets, links, formatting
information
that would have to be encoded in some way.  It might be useful to
start with the
export preprocessor on the entire file and use it.  One of the hard
things will
be to identify stuf that is LaTeX, but also this code is in principle
present.

This would be great to achieve.  Be warned that it will be hard
to get right, and that you and others would largely have to drive
it.  I will help, but cannot do the main thrust - maintaining Org
as it is and adding some features takes most of the energy I can
currently contribute.

- Carsten

* Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-09  4:46   ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-09  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Baoqui,
>
> thanks for the link to the code.
>
> Forgive me for so far staying quiet on this subject.  When you
> first posted the announcement, I had some mixed feelings.

No problem at all.  This is totally understandable.

> First of all, I don't really know docbook, and I have never used it.
>
> Then:
>
> One of the really weak features in Org's design is that exporting is not
> implemented in a generic way.  All exporters share a preprocessing step
> that turns Org format into something a little more sane and consistent.
> Then each exporter goes its own way.  This setup makes maintenance
> sort of a nightmare, because each change to Org syntax needs to be
> implemented in all exporters separately.  ...

Yes, it would be nice to have a generic exporting framework in Org.
When I just started working on the DocBook exporter, I tried to follow
org-export-latex.el first but hit some limitation in org-list-to-generic
after a short time.  Then I switched to the style of org-export-as-html,
and found its line-based exporting very easy to use.

> ... Maybe you have read my
> swearing when I was trying to fix the LaTeX exporter which I did
> not understand completely at first - it was written by Bastien.

I haven't read about this, but I can imagine what kind of difficulty you
might have...

> I had really hoped that the next step in exporting Org would be
> to rewrite the exporter from scratch, in a generic way, that will
> then make supporting different formatters more stable and easy.
> Adding a new exporter does not get us closer to that idea.

Agreed.  If Org documents can be parsed into tree representations by the
generic exporter, and each individual exporter only needs to configure
the tags (or formatting methods) for all components in the tree, writing
different exporters would be much easier.  Not sure if this can be
easily done in Org.

> And I had feared that your exporter would be a badly hacked
> attempt reinventing lots of wheels, that could never become a really
> complete export.
>
> I have misjudged severely, the exporter you made looks quite complete,
> you have based it very heavily on the XHTML exporter and in this way
> it seems to be able to handle the entire Org syntax, if I see
> correctly.  ...

Yes, DocBook exporter is heavily based on the XHTML exporter.  Both
exporters shares a lot of processing, but differ at other areas.  Some
internal functions used by these two exporters could be merged in the
future.

> ... So I have now made the changes you require in org-exp.el,
> and I would like to include the exporter, once you are satisfied,
> into our contrib directory or even, depending on copyright assignment,
> into the core.

Thanks a lot for making the changes in org-exp.el!  I've removed the
modified version of org-exp.el from my repository on Google Code.  I'll
try to do more testing (including testing it on XEmacs) and incorporate
any comments that other people may have before you can put this exporter
into Org release.

> However, I need to make clear that I have no time to maintain another
> exporter, so I would hope that you would be willing to to the necessary
> work to keep it up to date and working.

I won't have any problem with maintaining this exporter.

Thanks,
Baoqiu

> Best wishes
>
> - Carsten
>
> On Mar 8, 2009, at 6:10 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just posted the code for DocBook exporter to Google Code.  You can
>> use
>> the following link to get access to the code and example files:
>>
>>  http://code.google.com/p/bcui-emacs/source/browse/#svn/trunk/org-
>> docbook
>>
>> Here is the README:
>> = =
>> #
>> # File: org-docbook/README
>> #
>> # $Id$
>> #
>>
>> This is the DocBook exporter for Org-mode, a tool written in Emacs
>> Lisp
>> to export text files written in Org-mode to DocBook.
>>
>> This directory contains:
>>
>> README
>>    This file.
>>
>> org-export-docbook.el
>>    The main part of DocBook exporter code.
>>
>> org-exp.el
>>    Slightly modified version of file org-exp.el that is part of
>>    Org-mode.  Currently this file is synced up with Org-mode 6.24.
>>
>> test.org
>>    An Org file used for testing.  It includes all the features that
>>    current version of DocBook exporter supports.
>>
>> test.xml
>>    DocBook XML file exported from test.org.
>>
>> test.pdf
>>    PDF file generated from DocBook XML file test.xml.
>>
>> If you have any comments on how to improve this exporter, please send
>> email to cbaoqiu AT yahoo DOT com.
>>
>> = =
>>
>> You are welcome to try this out, and give me any comments you may
>> have.
>> Bug reports and ideas on how to improve this will be highly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Baoqiu

* Re: Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-09  6:25     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-09  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoqiu Cui; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Baoqui,

thank you very much for creating this exporter, and for contributing
it to Org.

Do you have a copyright assignment with the FSF that would cover Org-
mode?
If not, would you be willing to sign one?  This will give us the freedom
to add the file to Emacs at some point.

Another small issue:  Any files that go into Emacs must,
in order to be consistent with the old 8+3 DOS file names,
be unique names within the first 8 characters.  Even though
I like org-export-docbook as a name, I think we need to call it
org-docbook.el.  At least that gives you the option to do
more things with docbook besides export, should you want to.

Maybe we should rename org-export-latex to org-latex, for consistency,
but this is hard after such a long time.

- Carsten

@ 2009-03-09 17:21       ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi Baoqui,
>
> thank you very much for creating this exporter, and for contributing
> it to Org.
>
> Do you have a copyright assignment with the FSF that would cover Org-
> mode?
> If not, would you be willing to sign one?  This will give us the freedom
> to add the file to Emacs at some point.

I don't have a copyright assignment with FSF yet.  I will sign one and
send it to FSF and you.

> Another small issue:  Any files that go into Emacs must,
> in order to be consistent with the old 8+3 DOS file names,
> be unique names within the first 8 characters.  Even though
> I like org-export-docbook as a name, I think we need to call it
> org-docbook.el.  At least that gives you the option to do
> more things with docbook besides export, should you want to.

This sounds good to me.  I have renamed the file to org-docbook.el.

@ 2009-03-12 16:02 ` Dale Smith
From: Dale Smith @ 2009-03-12 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:

> I just posted the code for DocBook exporter to Google Code.

I've been enjoying this docbook exporter for sveral days now. Thanks
Baoqiu!

Somthing that muse has that I'd really like to see in org is some way
to insert raw docbook into the exported output.  The LaTeX exporter
already has a feature like this.  Muse-mode uses the <literal> tag.

In the past, I've used this for inserting a programming instruction
that cauaes a page-break.  I'm sure there could be many many uses.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Something I've missed?

Thanks!
  -Dale

--
Dale P. Smith
dales@vtiinstruments.com

(Company mandated disclaimer follows...)

The information in this e-mail and any attachments is intended solely
for use by the recipient(s) to whom this e-mail is addressed and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information which is exempt
from disclosure.  If you are not an intended recipient, or an employee
or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail
and any attachments in error and that dissemination, distribution,
review or copying of this e-mail and its attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately and delete all electronic and paper copies of
this e-mail as well as any attachments.
Thank you.

http://www.vtiinstruments.com/images/vtiemaillogo.gif

* Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-13  0:26   ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dale,

Dale Smith <dales@vxitech.com> writes:

> Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> I just posted the code for DocBook exporter to Google Code.
>
> I've been enjoying this docbook exporter for sveral days now. Thanks
> Baoqiu!

Thanks a lot for your great help in testing this exporter.  Your early
comments were very valuable to me!  I am glad to know that the exporter
seems to work well for you.

> Somthing that muse has that I'd really like to see in org is some way
> to insert raw docbook into the exported output.  The LaTeX exporter
> already has a feature like this.  Muse-mode uses the <literal> tag.
>
> In the past, I've used this for inserting a programming instruction
> that cauaes a page-break.  I'm sure there could be many many uses.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?  Something I've missed?

This may require adding a markup like "#+BEGIN DOCBOOK" ... "#+END
DOCBOOK", which is some external change that makes Org less lightweight.
(LaTeX is a little different, because LaTeX fragments do not need a
markup in Org-mode.)  Don't know how Carsten and other people think.

Thanks again!

@ 2009-03-13  2:05     ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-13  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:

> Dale Smith <dales@vxitech.com> writes:
>
>> Somthing that muse has that I'd really like to see in org is some way
>> to insert raw docbook into the exported output.  The LaTeX exporter
>> already has a feature like this.  Muse-mode uses the <literal> tag.
>>
>> In the past, I've used this for inserting a programming instruction
>> that cauaes a page-break.  I'm sure there could be many many uses.
>>
>> Any ideas or suggestions?  Something I've missed?
>
> This may require adding a markup like "#+BEGIN DOCBOOK" ... "#+END
> DOCBOOK", which is some external change that makes Org less lightweight.
> (LaTeX is a little different, because LaTeX fragments do not need a
> markup in Org-mode.)  Don't know how Carsten and other people think.

Oh, I just noticed that #+BEGIN_LaTeX ... #+END_LaTeX already exists.
Then maybe it is OK to add #+BEGIN_DOCBOOK ... #+END_DOCBOOK.

@ 2009-03-13  3:12       ` Baoqiu Cui
From: Baoqiu Cui @ 2009-03-13  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:
>> Dale Smith <dales@vxitech.com> writes:
>>
>>> Somthing that muse has that I'd really like to see in org is some way
>>> to insert raw docbook into the exported output.  The LaTeX exporter
>>> already has a feature like this.  Muse-mode uses the <literal> tag.
>>>
>>> In the past, I've used this for inserting a programming instruction
>>> that cauaes a page-break.  I'm sure there could be many many uses.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or suggestions?  Something I've missed?
>>
>> This may require adding a markup like "#+BEGIN DOCBOOK" ... "#+END
>> DOCBOOK", which is some external change that makes Org less lightweight.
>> (LaTeX is a little different, because LaTeX fragments do not need a
>> markup in Org-mode.)  Don't know how Carsten and other people think.
>
> Oh, I just noticed that #+BEGIN_LaTeX ... #+END_LaTeX already exists.
> Then maybe it is OK to add #+BEGIN_DOCBOOK ... #+END_DOCBOOK.

Hi Dale,

Actually the following markups are already supported when I added the
block quote and verse support (I totally forgot about this).  We just
need to *externalize* these two constructs:

#+DOCBOOK: Literal DocBook code for export

#+BEGIN_DOCBOOK
All lines between these markers are exported literally.
#+END_DOCBOOK

I have updated the test file with 2 examples.  You can take a quick
look:

@ 2009-03-13  6:37       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-03-13  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:

> Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Dale Smith <dales@vxitech.com> writes:
>>
>>> Somthing that muse has that I'd really like to see in org is some
>>> way
>>> to insert raw docbook into the exported output.  The LaTeX exporter
>>> already has a feature like this.  Muse-mode uses the <literal> tag.
>>>
>>> In the past, I've used this for inserting a programming instruction
>>> that cauaes a page-break.  I'm sure there could be many many uses.
>>>
>>> Any ideas or suggestions?  Something I've missed?
>>
>> This may require adding a markup like "#+BEGIN DOCBOOK" ... "#+END
>> DOCBOOK", which is some external change that makes Org less
>> lightweight.
>> (LaTeX is a little different, because LaTeX fragments do not need a
>> markup in Org-mode.)  Don't know how Carsten and other people think.
>
> Oh, I just noticed that #+BEGIN_LaTeX ... #+END_LaTeX already exists.
> Then maybe it is OK to add #+BEGIN_DOCBOOK ... #+END_DOCBOOK.

This is already in org-exp.el and should work:

#+DOCBOOK: dockbookcode

and

#+BEGIN_DOCBOOK
docbookcode
docbookcode
docbookcode
#+END_DOCBOOK

Also I have just pushed changes to org-mtags.el (contributed package).
If you load it, muse-like tags will be understood by Org as well,
and you can write:

<literal style=docbook> dockbookcode </literal>

- Carsten

* Re: DocBook exporter code (version 1.0)
@ 2009-03-13 13:42         ` Dale Smith
From: Dale Smith @ 2009-03-13 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Mar 13, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Baoqiu Cui wrote:
>
>> Baoqiu Cui <cbaoqiu@yahoo.com> writes:

Heh.  Figured I'd miss it.

>> Oh, I just noticed that #+BEGIN_LaTeX ... #+END_LaTeX already exists.
>> Then maybe it is OK to add #+BEGIN_DOCBOOK ... #+END_DOCBOOK.
>
> This is already in org-exp.el and should work:
>
> #+DOCBOOK: dockbookcode
>
> and
>
> #+BEGIN_DOCBOOK
> docbookcode
> docbookcode
> docbookcode
> #+END_DOCBOOK
>
> Also I have just pushed changes to org-mtags.el (contributed package).
> If you load it, muse-like tags will be understood by Org as well,
> and you can write:
>
> <literal style=docbook> dockbookcode </literal>

Both look good.

Thanks,
  -Dale