* Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-05  3:35 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-05  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Whilst trying to set a key binding to archive 'DONE' todo items, by
trying to bind F13 [aka CapsLock] to '2', so the finished intended
result would have been - F13 + 2 = DONE & ARCHIVED. This is a global
key binding, although I was trying for a local one. How do I know its
'global'? Because CapsLock now does not work for me to use in this
email!

So, how do I revert CapsLock to being its intended F13 please? And how
do I set up a local key binding to avoid this situation in the future
please?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.4.2
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-05 19:36 ` Marc-Oliver Ihm
From: Marc-Oliver Ihm @ 2014-01-05 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sharon,

not sure, what happened in your setup. Maybe things can get clearer, if you would supply
the line of lisp that you employed to bind F13.
Was it something like

(global-set-key [(f13)] 'org-archive-subtree)

?

regards
Marc

@ 2014-01-05 19:41 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-05 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
> Whilst trying to set a key binding to archive 'DONE' todo items, by
> trying to bind F13 [aka CapsLock] to '2', so the finished intended
> result would have been - F13 + 2 = DONE & ARCHIVED. This is a global
> key binding, although I was trying for a local one. How do I know its
> 'global'? Because CapsLock now does not work for me to use in this
> email!
>
> So, how do I revert CapsLock to being its intended F13 please?

If you have not added anything to .emacs (or whatever init file(s) you
use), just restart emacs. If you have, delete it and restart emacs.

--
Nick

* Re: Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-05 19:59   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-05 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Marc.
Here it is -
(if (eq window-system 'x)
    (shell-command "xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 66 = F13'"))
(global-set-key [f13] 'execute-extended-command)  ;;sets caps-lock as meta-key

Sharon.

@ 2014-01-05 20:43     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-05 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> wrote:
>Thanks Marc.
>Here it is -
>(if (eq window-system 'x)
>    (shell-command "xmodmap -e 'clear Lock' -e 'keycode 66 = F13'"))
>(global-set-key [f13] 'execute-extended-command)  ;;sets caps-lock as
>meta-key
>
>Sharon.
>
>On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 20:36:20 +0100
>Marc-Oliver Ihm <marc@ihm.name> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sharon,
>>
>> not sure, what happened in your setup. Maybe things can get clearer,
>> if you would supply the line of lisp that you employed to bind F13.
>> Was it something like
>>
>> (global-set-key [(f13)] 'org-archive-subtree)
>>
>> ?
>>
>> regards
>> Marc
>>

>> Am 05.01.2014 04:35, schrieb Sharon Kimble:
>> > Whilst trying to set a key binding to archive 'DONE' todo items, by
>> > trying to bind F13 [aka CapsLock] to '2', so the finished intended
>> > result would have been - F13 + 2 = DONE & ARCHIVED. This is a
>global
>> > key binding, although I was trying for a local one. How do I know
>> > its 'global'? Because CapsLock now does not work for me to use in
>> > this email!
>> >
>> > So, how do I revert CapsLock to being its intended F13 please? And
>> > how do I set up a local key binding to avoid this situation in the
>> > future please?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Sharon.
>> >

>--
>A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk
>efever = http://www.efever.blogspot.com/
>efever = http://sharon04.livejournal.com/
>my git repo = https://bitbucket.org/boudiccas/dots
>Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.4.2
>Registered Linux user 561944

Thinking about it, that is the original code in my .emacs which set it up correctly. The code that I typed in, in the mini-buffer was a local key-binding from the wikemacs site. Sorry I can't be more precise as I'm no longer at my computer.

Sharon.

* Re: Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-05 20:59   ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-05 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos, emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Sharon Kimble

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>> Whilst trying to set a key binding to archive 'DONE' todo items, by
>> trying to bind F13 [aka CapsLock] to '2', so the finished intended
>> result would have been - F13 + 2 = DONE & ARCHIVED. This is a global
>> key binding, although I was trying for a local one. How do I know its
>> 'global'? Because CapsLock now does not work for me to use in this
>> email!
>>
>> So, how do I revert CapsLock to being its intended F13 please?
>
>If you have not added anything to .emacs (or whatever init file(s) you
>use), just restart emacs. If you have, delete it and restart emacs.
>
>--
>Nick

Thanks for this, I'll try it tomorrow when I'm back on the computer.

Sharon.

* Re: Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-06 15:38     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2014-01-06 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>         Whilst trying to set a key binding to archive 'DONE' todo items, by
>         trying to bind F13 [aka CapsLock] to '2', so the finished intended
>         result would have been - F13 + 2 = DONE & ARCHIVED. This is a global
>         key binding, although I was trying for a local one. How do I know its
>         'global'? Because CapsLock now does not work for me to use in this
>         email!
>
>         So, how do I revert CapsLock to being its intended F13 please?
>
>     If you have not added anything to .emacs (or whatever init file(s) you
>     use), just restart emacs. If you have, delete it and rest
>      art emacs.
>
> Thanks for this, I'll try it tomorrow when I'm back on the computer.

However, I noticed that you called xmodmap from emacs to modify the X
keymap - restarting emacs will not undo that side effect, but restarting
X as well should undo it.

Nick

* Re: Local key binding gone wrong!
@ 2014-01-06 20:46       ` Marc Ihm
From: Marc Ihm @ 2014-01-06 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sharon !

Setting CapsLock to f13 is a neat trick !

Maybe this could help with the rest of your question:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f13>")
                 (lambda (ARG) (interactive "c")
                   (org-todo (string-to-number (char-to-string ARG)))
                   (org-archive-subtree)))

at least it does this for me:

- Set the current node to the TODO state given through the second key after f13
- Archive the node afterwards.

regards
Marc

@ 2014-01-06 21:29         ` Sharon Kimble