* ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
@ 2021-01-12 20:21 TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2021-01-12 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello *,

I just banged out a bit of Elisp implementing a new Orgmode link type
for navigating Ordered (i.e., numbered/lettered) Plain Lists.[0]

As I tend to use Plain Lists extensively when taking notes, this is
something I (personally) have been wanting for some time.  But maybe
others might also find it useful.

Here is a teaser, copied from my (working title) ol-plo.el file:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
   ;;; Commentary

   ;; Implements an Orgmode link type for nagivagting to other
   ;; locations within the same Ordered (numbered) Plain List in
   ;; Orgmode.
   ;;
   ;; The link type is "plo:" for Plain List, Ordered (see Plain
   ;; List section of Orgmode manual).
   ;;
   ;; Example: Following Orgmode link at position [Y] like
   ;; [[plo:1.2.1.][Description]] would move point from [Y] to [X]
   ;; below:
   ;;
   ;; * Heading
   ;;
   ;; 1. Section
   ;;    1. Subheading
   ;;    2. Another subheading
   ;;       1. [X]Link to
   ;; 2. Another Section
   ;;       1. Link from [Y]
   ;;
#+end_src

If there is any interest, I could post it up somewhere.  In which case,
more questions arise:

1. Where should this live?
    a. In Orgmode itself?
    b. In contrib?
    c. As an outside package?

Hence my thought to first float the idea on the mailing list.

I am also unsure I even like "plo:", maybe it should be "opl:" (for
Ordered Plain List)?  Or even something else?

Discuss!  :)

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] https://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-Lists.html

* Re: ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
@ 2021-01-12 20:33 ` Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2021-01-12 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 12/01/2021 21:21, TRS-80 wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I just banged out a bit of Elisp implementing a new Orgmode link type
> for navigating Ordered (i.e., numbered/lettered) Plain Lists.[0]

How do you deal with the lists being re-numbered when you edit them?

Cheers,
Dan

* Re: ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
@ 2021-01-12 21:17   ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2021-01-12 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2021-01-12 15:33, Daniele Nicolodi wrote:
> On 12/01/2021 21:21, TRS-80 wrote:
>> Hello *,
>>
>> I just banged out a bit of Elisp implementing a new Orgmode link type
>> for navigating Ordered (i.e., numbered/lettered) Plain Lists.[0]
>
> How do you deal with the lists being re-numbered when you edit them?

Currently, just manually updating the links.

I guess in my usage, I mostly keep adding on to the bottom of the Plain
List (taking notes) so I rarely need to re-order anything.

However you raise a good point, and suddenly I realize I have written an
"80% solution."  Adding that other 20% would increase the complexity and
amount of code by...?  For me, not worth it (for the time being).

However, you are helping me to answer the question about where it should
"live."  I now no longer[0] think it appropriate for that to be within
Orgmode itself (and perhaps not even in contrib).  So, thanks for that.
:)

Basically, what I wrote so far is a "first pass."

Cheers,
TRS-80

[0] Not that I necessarily did in the first place.  ;)

* Re: ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
@ 2021-01-12 22:29     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-01-12 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TRS-80; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

one option is to name your targets with <<my-target>>.  i think, but
have not tested, that these will disappear upon export, but they might
or might not be annoying to you in the org buffer.  you can get to
them with [[my-target]] which can export to list number or so.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: ol-plo.el --- Orgmode Link type for navigating Ordered Plain Lists
@ 2021-01-13  8:42       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-01-13  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yes, I use targets for numbered (ordered) lists all the time.  They work
well and export perfectly (at least to LaTeX).

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4.4-179-g5b5c42