* Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21  9:00 Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-21  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Org-mode version 4.69 is available at

http://www.astro.uva.nl/~dominik/Tools/org

This release contains a few incompatible changes, make
sure you check the list below before installing it.

Enjoy!

- Carsten

Changes in Version 4.69
-----------------------

* Overview

   This time the changes affect the following areas:

   - TODO keywords:  Multiple sequences in a single file.
   - Export: More control over text before the first heading.
   - Export: More control over sub/superscript interpretation.
   - Plain lists:  Option to let empty lines terminate lists.
   - Tables: New command to insert hline and move into line below.
   - REPEATing items:  Turn of note taking.
   - Bug fixes.

* Incompatible changes

   - It used to be possible to spread the list of TODO keywords
     over several lines, like

     #+SEQ_TODO: TODO THINK
     #+SEQ_TODO: PROGRESS VERIFY
     #+SEQ_TODO: DONE

     This is no longer possible.  Each such line now specifies an
     independent set of TODO keywords, with its own DONE state.
     See below for details.

   - The #+TEXT construct has been used to insert unchanged HTML
     into an exported file.  This is no longer possible, the TEXT
     lines will be processed like any other lines.  However,
     there are now much better ways of getting quoted HTML into
     the exported file.

* Details

   - You can now use multiple sets of TODO keywords in the same
     buffer.  For example, you may put the following three lines
     into a file:

       #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
       #+SEQ_TODO: REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED
       #+TYP_TODO: Fred Laura Peter Me OK

     Each sub-sequence has its own DONE state.  It is best to use
     different keywords in all sequences, to make sure Org-mode
     does not loose track in which specific sequence it is
     working.  You could use the same word for all DONE states,
     but then cycling through to a TODO state might not bring you
     where you want to be.

     After initially setting a keyword, `C-c C-t' cycles through
     a sublist, i.e. is cycles from TODO to DONE or from
     KNOWNCAUSE to RESOLVED and further to (nothing) and back to
     REPORT.

     S-right and S-left allow to select any keyword, so they move
     from DONE to REPORT and from RESOLVED to Fred.

     C-S-right and C-S-left jump from one sub-sequence to the
     next, for example from TODO or DONE to REPORT to Fred.

     Thanks to Rick Moynihan for triggering this development.

   - Text before the first headline can now be exported if you
     configure Org-mode accordingly.  Either set the variable
     `org-export-skip-text-before-1st-heading' to nil, or use the
     new in-buffer option

     #+OPTION: skip:nil

   - Export content specified via the #+TEXT construct is now
     fully processed, i.e. links, emphasis etc. are all
     interpreted.  #+TEXT lines may include
     #+BEGIN_HTML...#+END_HTML sections to embed literal HTML.

   - During HTML export, you can request to have a_{b}
     interpreted as a subscript, but to leave a_b as it is.  This
     can be done by setting the variable
     org-export-sub-superscript to the symbol `{}' with

          (setq org-export-sub-superscript '{})

     or by using

     Thanks to Eddward DeVilla for this idea.

   - New variable `org-empty-line-terminates-plain-lists'.
     Default is nil, meaning that empty lines are part of the
     previous list item, and that you can have several paragraphs
     in one such item.  Set this to t if you want an empty line
     terminate all levels of plain list items.

     Thanks to Mike Newman for triggering this development.

   - `C-c RET' inserts a horizontal separator line and move the
     cursor into the table line below it.  Thanks to Bastien for
     this proposal.

   - Org-mode always offers you to record a note when a TODO item
     automatically repeats, even if you are not logging state
     changes.  The new variable `org-log-repeat' allows to turn
     this off, so that notes are really only been taken if you
     are logging all state changes.

   - Various Bug fixes, thanks to everyone who reported.

* Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 10:21 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-03-21 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-03-21, Carsten Dominik said:

>   - You can now use multiple sets of TODO keywords in the same
>     buffer.  For example, you may put the following three lines
>     into a file:
>
>       #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
>       #+SEQ_TODO: REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED
>       #+TYP_TODO: Fred Laura Peter Me OK
>
>     Each sub-sequence has its own DONE state.  It is best to use
>     different keywords in all sequences, to make sure Org-mode
>     does not loose track in which specific sequence it is
>     working.  You could use the same word for all DONE states,
>     but then cycling through to a TODO state might not bring you
>     where you want to be.
>
>     After initially setting a keyword, `C-c C-t' cycles through
>     a sublist, i.e. is cycles from TODO to DONE or from
>     KNOWNCAUSE to RESOLVED and further to (nothing) and back to
>     REPORT.
>
>     S-right and S-left allow to select any keyword, so they move
>     from DONE to REPORT and from RESOLVED to Fred.
>
>     C-S-right and C-S-left jump from one sub-sequence to the
>     next, for example from TODO or DONE to REPORT to Fred.
>
>     Thanks to Rick Moynihan for triggering this development.

I feel this too complicated. Isn't it more intuitive and consistent to
make this work like #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 10:36   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-21 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 21, 2007, at 11:21, Leo wrote:
> I feel this too complicated.

First, I don't think it is complicated at all, try it out.

I have already gotten used to it:
C-S-right to select the right sequence initially.  After that,
everything works exactly as before.  My description sounds
complicated because I listed all the commands that are can be
used, but you really only need these two.

> Isn't it more intuitive and consistent to
> make this work like #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

To be honest, I don't think this makes sense in this case,
my suspicion is that you would get many more #+SEQ_TODO
lines in a real-life buffer than #+CATEGORY lines.
So I think this solution is much more general and
workable.  Lets see what other people have to say about it.

Thanks for the feedback.

  - Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 14:27     ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-21 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> So I think this solution is much more general and
> workable.  Lets see what other people have to say about it.

All I really need it for is multiple DONE states (e.g. COMPLETED
vs. CANCELLED).  The current implementation works okay for that,
though it's somewhat overkill.

Also, can this be set through lisp (e.g., a new format for
org-todo-keywords), or only on a per-file basis with the magic
comments?

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 15:07     ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-03-21 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Leo

    It looks like there might some more discussion here, but I'd like
to chime in and say I kinda like what you have done with the multiple
sequences.  Of course, I'm not using some of the more advanced
features such as logging state changes.  For my simple use of TODO
items, this is pretty nice.

    The way I see it, I can have a sequence for simple todos, one for
fuller projects, one for wishlist/investigation/bug-report items and
so on.  I'd use C-S-arrow to set the sequence type. S-arrow as usual
while working and (possibly) C-S-arrow to promote say a wish-list item
into a project.  Heck, could I even have a single state sequence
CANCEL for the missing not-done done state?

Edd

On 3/21/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 11:21, Leo wrote:
> > I feel this too complicated.
>
> First, I don't think it is complicated at all, try it out.
>
> I have already gotten used to it:
> C-S-right to select the right sequence initially.  After that,
> everything works exactly as before.  My description sounds
> complicated because I listed all the commands that are can be
> used, but you really only need these two.
>
> > Isn't it more intuitive and consistent to
> > make this work like #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?
>
> To be honest, I don't think this makes sense in this case,
> my suspicion is that you would get many more #+SEQ_TODO
> lines in a real-life buffer than #+CATEGORY lines.
> So I think this solution is much more general and
> workable.  Lets see what other people have to say about it.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
>   - Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 15:11       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-21 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 21, 2007, at 15:27, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> So I think this solution is much more general and
>> workable.  Lets see what other people have to say about it.
>
> All I really need it for is multiple DONE states (e.g. COMPLETED
> vs. CANCELLED).  The current implementation works okay for that,
> though it's somewhat overkill.

Not so bad, maybe:

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
#+SEQ_TODO: RESOLVED
#+SEQ_TODO: CANCELLED

> Also, can this be set through lisp (e.g., a new format for
> org-todo-keywords), or only on a per-file basis with the magic
> comments?

So far only through comments.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 15:18   ` Eddward DeVilla
From: Eddward DeVilla @ 2007-03-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 3/21/07, Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2007-03-21, Carsten Dominik said:
>
> >   - You can now use multiple sets of TODO keywords in the same
> >     buffer.  For example, you may put the following three lines
> >     into a file:
> >
> >       #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
> >       #+SEQ_TODO: REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED
> >       #+TYP_TODO: Fred Laura Peter Me OK
>
> I feel this too complicated. Isn't it more intuitive and consistent to
> make this work like #+CATEGORY and #+ARCHIVE?

You meaning having one sequence going at a time and replacing it with
each use of #+SEQ_TODO: or  #+TYP_TODO:?  I don't think I'd like that,
but I could see how other might use it and how having multiple
sequences at once could polute the names space so to speak.

How about a generalize syntax where you name a sequence.  If you don't
give a name you are defining/replacing the null or default sequnce.
So:

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
#+SEQ_TODO: (BUG-TRACKING) REPORT BUG KNOWNCAUSE RESOLVED
#+TYP_TODO: (TEAM) Fred Laura Peter Me OK
.
.
.
#+SEQ_TODO: TODO WORKING DONE
Now the default is redefined
.
.
.
#+TYP_TODO: (TEAM)
The TEAM todo type is effectively gone.

This would let me have my set of TODO 'types'.  It would allow others
to redifne the default todo sequence without having them all at once.
It might be a pita to implement though.

Edd

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 22:21         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-21 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 21, 2007, at 16:11, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2007, at 15:27, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>
>> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>>
>>> So I think this solution is much more general and
>>> workable.  Lets see what other people have to say about it.
>>
>> All I really need it for is multiple DONE states (e.g. COMPLETED
>> vs. CANCELLED).  The current implementation works okay for that,
>> though it's somewhat overkill.
>
> Not so bad, maybe:
>
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
> #+SEQ_TODO: RESOLVED
> #+SEQ_TODO: CANCELLED

Or maybe this should actually be like this:?

#+SEQ_TODO: TODO | DONE RESOLVED CANCELLED

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-21 23:28           ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-21 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 23:21 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> > On Mar 21, 2007, at 15:27, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> >
> >> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> >> All I really need it for is multiple DONE states (e.g. COMPLETED
> >> vs. CANCELLED).  The current implementation works okay for that,
> >> though it's somewhat overkill.
> >
> > Not so bad, maybe:
> >
> > #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
> > #+SEQ_TODO: RESOLVED
> > #+SEQ_TODO: CANCELLED

This is, in fact, more or less what I'm doing.  Actually I have one
sequence for actions, one for projects, and one for unusual states (like
CANCELLED);  I'm finding more uses for it as time goes on.   So the
extra flexibility is more than I actually need, but not so much that I
can't see any use for it.

I would like to see this settable in lisp, though, since I want to use
my TODO keywords all across my GTD system rather than different ones in
different files.  I can probably try to put together a patch to do this
tomorrow, just so that I'm not kibitzing without offering code.

> Or maybe this should actually be like this:?
>
> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO | DONE RESOLVED CANCELLED

I don't think an extra syntax would be too worthwhile.  If you're
already setting TODO keywords in the file itself, three lines vs. one
line is not a big deal.

@ 2007-03-22 13:59             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-22 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 22, 2007, at 0:28, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

>>> Not so bad, maybe:
>>>
>>> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO DONE
>>> #+SEQ_TODO: RESOLVED
>>> #+SEQ_TODO: CANCELLED
>
> I would like to see this settable in lisp, though, since I want to use
> my TODO keywords all across my GTD system rather than different ones in
> different files.  I can probably try to put together a patch to do this
> tomorrow, just so that I'm not kibitzing without offering code.

Thank you very much, but this is a bit tricky, so maybe I should do
this.
If you send me a complex patch, we need to get your papers with the FSF
first, or I cannot install the fixes into Emacs.  I already have the
papers
from David and Piotr, so if you plan to contribute code in the future,
maybe
we should go ahead and do this.

>> Or maybe this should actually be like this:?
>>
>> #+SEQ_TODO: TODO | DONE RESOLVED CANCELLED
>
> I don't think an extra syntax would be too worthwhile.  If you're
> already setting TODO keywords in the file itself, three lines vs. one
> line is not a big deal.

There is one difference.  When everything is in one line, I'd expect
C-c C-t to reach these states.  When they are in different lines,
you will need C-S-right to get to them.  Both ways have their
advantages.  I guess for a special state like CANCELED, a separate
sequence would be good, but I can imagine cases where one would
like different ways of saying an entry is done.

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-22 15:21               ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-22 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Thank you very much, but this is a bit tricky, so maybe I should do
> this.

I'd guess it would be better for you to do it.  I had a look at what
would be involved, and a working change would touch a lot more places
in the file than I thought it would, and I don't feel confident that
I'd get it right.

> If you send me a complex patch, we need to get your papers with the
> FSF first, or I cannot install the fixes into Emacs.  I already have
> the papers from David and Piotr, so if you plan to contribute code
> in the future, maybe we should go ahead and do this.

Why don't we wait until I actually contribute something useful ;)

> There is one difference.  When everything is in one line, I'd expect
> C-c C-t to reach these states.  When they are in different lines,
> you will need C-S-right to get to them.  Both ways have their
> advantages.  I guess for a special state like CANCELED, a separate
> sequence would be good, but I can imagine cases where one would
> like different ways of saying an entry is done.

I'm not sure what would be better.  But this reminds me that we need a
tty compatibility binding for org-shiftcontrolright and
org-shiftcontrolleft.

@ 2007-03-22 15:50                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 22, 2007, at 16:21, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

>> If you send me a complex patch, we need to get your papers with the
>> FSF first, or I cannot install the fixes into Emacs.  I already have
>> the papers from David and Piotr, so if you plan to contribute code
>> in the future, maybe we should go ahead and do this.
>
> Why don't we wait until I actually contribute something useful ;)

Because I don't want to have to stop you again... :-)

> I'm not sure what would be better.  But this reminds me that we need a
> tty compatibility binding for org-shiftcontrolright and
> org-shiftcontrolleft.

Arrrrgh.  Yes.  Proposals?????

- Carsten

* Re: Re: Org-mode 4.69
@ 2007-03-22 16:45                   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-22 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
> On Mar 22, 2007, at 16:21, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>> I'm not sure what would be better.  But this reminds me that we
>> need a tty compatibility binding for org-shiftcontrolright and
>> org-shiftcontrolleft.
>
> Arrrrgh.  Yes.  Proposals?????

Well, the relatively difficult key combination C-c C-x <right> is
bound to the relatively common org-shiftright, whereas C-c <right> is
unbound.  Would it make sense to move org-shiftright to C-c <right>
and org-shiftcontrolright to C-c C-x <right> (and similar for the
other things on S-<directions>)?  Would make editing timestamps
marginally less painful on a tty, as well.  Unless these are being
reserved for some reason?

@ 2007-03-26 16:29                     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-26 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mar 22, 2007, at 17:45, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>> On Mar 22, 2007, at 16:21, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what would be better.  But this reminds me that we
>>> need a tty compatibility binding for org-shiftcontrolright and
>>> org-shiftcontrolleft.
>>
>> Arrrrgh.  Yes.  Proposals?????
>
> Well, the relatively difficult key combination C-c C-x <right> is
> bound to the relatively common org-shiftright, whereas C-c <right> is
> unbound.  Would it make sense to move org-shiftright to C-c <right>
> and org-shiftcontrolright to C-c C-x <right> (and similar for the
> other things on S-<directions>)?  Would make editing timestamps
> marginally less painful on a tty, as well.  Unless these are being
> reserved for some reason?

I don't think so, and I like the proposal.  Thanks.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam