On 2016-10-05 20:16, David A. Gershman wrote: > On 10/05/2016 03:26 PM, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: >> Hello, >> >> "David A. Gershman" writes: >> >>> Not bad, but could it be customizable via variable giving the user the >>> choice? >> Thank you for your feedback. >> >> I guess we could introduce a variable to let users shoot them in the >> foot, but is there any incentive to do so? I mean, the clutter is >> minimal, and the current state can be very annoying at times (ever tried >> to start a buffer with a bracket link?). >> >> > Actually, no I haven't. :) > > I have no problem with the brackets, I just think they "break up" the > flow of reading we're familiar with. Dare I say many people are use to > a web-like experience when having hyper links in text. From your > description, the existence of the brackets are more for precise edits > without having to fudge with point. I have fallen victim to that, but > admit, I prefer "clean" links. What about having our cake and eating it too? :) We could do just the same as what prettify-symbols-mode does with its prettify-symbols-unprettify-at-point variable. Namely, we could show the brackets when point is at the edge of a link, and hide them otherwise. The same trick could be applied to subscripts (I have working code for that for a different project, at https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/blob/master/company-coq.el#L4287). Wouldn't this preserve the flow of reading, while allowing for easier editing? Cheers, Clément.