* Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-03-30 14:20 Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-30 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

This is a minor concern, but I was reminded of it because of the
posting asking about setting fonts for DONE items.

Does anyone else have any problem using color themes defined with
color-theme.el along with org-mode buffers?  Whenever I apply a color
theme, org-mode buffers lose all of their faces, and cannot be
convinced to get them back without restarting emacs.  A peculiarity of
my setup, or something other people are seeing too?

| Jason F. McBrayer                    jmcbray@carcosa.net  |
| If someone conquers a thousand times a thousand others in |
| battle, and someone else conquers himself, the latter one |
| is the greatest of all conquerors.  --- The Dhammapada    |

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-03-31 11:04 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-03-31 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jmcbray@carcosa.net (Jason F. McBrayer) writes:

> Whenever I apply a color theme, org-mode buffers lose all of their
> faces, and cannot be convinced to get them back without restarting
> emacs.  A peculiarity of my setup, or something other people are
> seeing too?

I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
something in your config i guess.

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-03-31 11:35   ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-03-31 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 13:04 +0200, Bastien wrote:

> I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
> something in your config i guess.

Thanks, that will help me start to narrow down where the problem is.

@ 2007-03-31 20:12     ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2007-03-31 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

   > I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
   > something in your config i guess.

   Thanks, that will help me start to narrow down where the problem is.

Could you describe what is the exact problem with color-theme
please ?

Xavier

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-01 11:50     ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-01 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 07:35 -0400, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 13:04 +0200, Bastien wrote:
>
> > I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
> > something in your config i guess.
>
> Thanks, that will help me start to narrow down where the problem is.

I've figured out where the problem was, and I'm posting it here for
reference purposes.  I had color-theme-is-cumulative set to nil, and I
suspect that was causing color themes to throw away the org-mode faces.
Setting that to t, most color themes work.  Also, some color themes are
less cooperative than others, so it appears to be a problem with those
themes rather than with org-mode, or with the color-theme package.

@ 2007-04-01 15:32       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-01 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason F. McBrayer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'd like to kick in here with the following proposal:

Designing face colors is not really something I feel
competent for.  Maybe some of you do?  As far as I understand
color-theme.el, you can create your own themes and any customized faces
will be included, thus also any customized org-mode faces.
I'd be interested to see better schemes for fontifying
Org-mode files.  Maybe we can have a competition here for the
best color scheme for Org-mode, making use of color-theme as
the vehicle to install these.

- Carsten

On Apr 1, 2007, at 13:50, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 07:35 -0400, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
>> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 13:04 +0200, Bastien wrote:
>>
>>> I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
>>> something in your config i guess.
>>
>> Thanks, that will help me start to narrow down where the problem is.
>
> I've figured out where the problem was, and I'm posting it here for
> reference purposes.  I had color-theme-is-cumulative set to nil, and I
> suspect that was causing color themes to throw away the org-mode faces.
> Setting that to t, most color themes work.  Also, some color themes are
> less cooperative than others, so it appears to be a problem with those
> themes rather than with org-mode, or with the color-theme package.

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-03 12:53       ` Jason F. McBrayer
From: Jason F. McBrayer @ 2007-04-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu.org> writes:

>    > I use org-mode and color-theme without problems, so it should be
>    > something in your config i guess.
>
>    Thanks, that will help me start to narrow down where the problem is.
>
> Could you describe what is the exact problem with color-theme
> please ?

On my system, org-mode loses its colors and fontifications when most
color themes are applied (org headlines etc. are shown in the default
face).  This happens for more themes if color-theme-is-cumulative is
nil.  After looking at it, I do not think this is a problem with
color-theme.el, but with particular themes.  Most light-background
themes work, most dark-background themes don't.

@ 2007-04-03 17:11         ` Scott Jaderholm
From: Scott Jaderholm @ 2007-04-03 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Here's the current state of my color-theme for org-mode. If you don't like
white on black you will probably hate this theme. It is very colorful, so it
actually looks better in a partially transparent window because it fades a
little. It's no where near a final state.

My goal with this color-theme was to get almost the same look on a terminal
and in "graphical" emacs. I customize my 16 colors or so in Putty and then
use generic red, blue etc in my custom-set-faces for console, and then I
have specific colors set in my color-theme for the rare occasion that I run
graphical emacs.

Preview: http://jaderholm.com/photos/screens/org-colors.jpg (Preview is a
few months old so some faces have changed)
Download: http://jaderholm.com/configs/color-theme-colorful-obsolescence.el

(require 'color-theme-colorful-deluge)
(color-theme-colorful-deluge)

I've only customized font-lock, org, eshell and ido. I just noticed that
calendar has fancy colors in graphical emacs so I'll probably customize
that.

What I'd really love is a nice black on white theme that uses different
fonts and sizes to give an elegant outline that looks more like a
typesetters masterpiece than a hackers playground.

Cheers,
Scott

@ 2007-04-05 10:22         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-05 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: zedek

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Maybe we can have a competition here for the best color scheme for
> Org-mode, making use of color-theme as the vehicle to install these.

There is several ways to contribute to color-theme.el with relevant
org-mode faces :

1. Define standalone/modular color-theme-[yourtheme]-org

   See for example (color-theme-beige-eshell) which only describes faces
   for eshell and is called in other themes like color-theme-goldenrod.

   This could be a good start.

2. Insert org faces into current themes and submit the changes for this
   theme to the current maintainer : Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org>
   (Here on this list and CC:)

   This could be done by each one of us separately.

3. Propose brand new "org-aware" themes...

Of course, org could itself contain at least to faces-schemes: one for
white background, one for dark background.  The good new is that the
current faces seem to be okay for both !

Bastien

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-05 10:43           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-05 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:
>
>> Maybe we can have a competition here for the best color scheme for
>> Org-mode, making use of color-theme as the vehicle to install these.
>
> There is several ways to contribute to color-theme.el with relevant
> org-mode faces :

I've set up a page to gather contributions :
 http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/org-color-themes.html

Feel free to submit your code/screenshots !

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-05 14:11             ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-04-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello org folks!

I've posted a screen shot of my color theme called "CL-FRAME" and it
includes org-mode faces.

shot: http://dto.freeshell.org/images/org-faces-shot.png
lisp: http://dto.freeshell.org/e/color-theme-cl-frame.png

@ 2007-04-05 14:12               ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-04-05 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'm sorry, that 2nd link should be

http://dto.freeshell.org/e/color-theme-cl-frame.el

@ 2007-04-05 15:12               ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-04-05 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: David O'Toole

Hi David,

"David O'Toole" <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> I've posted a screen shot of my color theme called "CL-FRAME" and it
> includes org-mode faces.
>
> shot: http://dto.freeshell.org/images/org-faces-shot.png
> lisp: http://dto.freeshell.org/e/color-theme-cl-frame.el

Thanks - i've updated the org-color-theme page:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/org-color-themes.html

BTW, I discovered the org-publish bug we mentionned on this list a while
ago reappeared in Org 4.70: C-c C-e A does not save windows excursion and
modifies org files unnecessarily.  Can you check this again?

All the best !

--
Bastien

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-05 15:34                 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-05 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: David O'Toole, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 5, 2007, at 17:12, Bastien wrote:

> BTW, I discovered the org-publish bug we mentionned on this list a
> while
> ago reappeared in Org 4.70: C-c C-e A does not save windows excursion
> and
> modifies org files unnecessarily.  Can you check this again?

This is my fault, I did not update the version of org-publish.el
distributed with org-mode.

- Carsten

* Re: Org-mode with color-theme.el
@ 2007-04-05 16:54           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-04-05 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: zedek, emacs-orgmode

On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:22, Bastien wrote:
> Of course, org could itself contain at least to faces-schemes: one for
> white background, one for dark background.  The good new is that the
> current faces seem to be okay for both !

The faces in org already have different definitions for light and dark
backgrounds, and even different values for terminals with only 8 colors
and for black-and-white terminals.  This is not something you see when
using customize, but if you look in the source file, you see something
like:

(defface org-level-1
   (org-compatible-face
    '((((class color) (min-colors 88) (background light))
        (:foreground "Blue1"))
      (((class color) (min-colors 88) (background dark))
        (:foreground "LightSkyBlue"))
      (((class color) (min-colors 16) (background light))
        (:foreground "Blue"))
      (((class color) (min-colors 16) (background dark))
        (:foreground "LightSkyBlue"))
      (((class color) (min-colors 8))
        (:foreground "blue" :bold t))
      (t (:bold t))))
   "Face used for level 1 headlines."
   :group 'org-faces)

org-compatible-face is a function translating an Emacs definition
to the XEmacs syntax where necessary.

Most of these faces I simply stole from font-lock.el

- Carsten