Ok, thanks a lot for your suggestions. It seems that the problem comes from poly-org mode. I've followed the following steps (copy-paste from my notes, sorry for the wording): + I double-check the version of org (9.5.2, ok) and I check the function =org-latex-export-to-pdf=. This is ok since the fix is there: #+begin_example (let ((outfile (org-export-output-file-name ".tex" subtreep))) (org-export-to-file 'latex outfile async subtreep visible-only body-only ext-plist #'org-latex-compile))) #+end_example + Same error as before when trying to asynchronously export: the =*Org Export Process*= buffer still gives ~Invalid read syntax: "#"~ + However, I do these double-checks with my init file loaded. Contrary to ~emacs -Q~, when I use ~M-x toggle-debug-on-error~ no =*Backtrace*= buffer opens. I conclude that maybe something linked to my init file is interfering with the process, preventing the debugger to correctly capture the error. + I thus decide to remove everything from my init file (except ~(use-package org)~) and to try again. However, the issue is still there and the debugger does not detect it. I note that =poly-org= mode is still (automatically) loaded at startup, and I decide to use my other computer and to start with a brand new installation of emacs. + On this new emacs version, the only package I install is =org=, in order to get version 9.5.2. This time, it works: I am able to asynchronously export. + I have the impression that having =poly-org= mode installed could play a role in my problem. I thus decide to get the init file from my other computer and load it on my new installation of emacs, *except the =polymode= part*. And it actually works: I am able to asynchronously export. + As a final test, I include the =polymode= part of my init file, and restart Emacs. This time the asynchronous export process fails. What I conclude from that (correct me if I am wrong): the issue should come from =polymode= which, once installed, somehow modifies the standard org-export function/process. I am going to report this issue on the polymode github. Best, MP ------- Original Message ------- On Tuesday, March 8th, 2022 at 3:51 PM, Sébastien Miquel wrote: > M. Pger writes: > >> Thx for your answer. I've just upgraded org-mode (elpa way) and I am now using version 9.5.2. > > Version 9.5.2 should indeed contain the fix I had in mind : > > https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/org-mode.git/commit/?id=c91271297dbbfc831874d7880343603881bdac9c > >> Unfortunately this does not work, I still end up with: >> >> Invalid read syntax: "#" > > Can you check that the right version of org-mode is picked-up, with > `describe-function` `org-latex-export-to-pdf`, find the function > definition by following the `ox-latex.el` link, and check that the > source contains the linked patch ? > >> I would like to try the alternative, i.e. disabling native-comp (for the export function I guess). Would you mind telling me how to do that? > > `describe-function` should also tell you whether the function is > native compiled. If it is, you can temporarily 'uncompile' by > evaluating its source code. By disabling native compilation I meant as > a compile flag, if you've built emacs from source. I cannot find an > easy way to prevent native compilation of a single package/function. > > -- > Sébastien Miquel