On Tue, 4 Jul 2017, Vikas Rawal wrote: > >> On 04-Jul-2017, at 1:22 AM, John Hendy wrote: >> >> On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Vikas Rawal >> wrote: >>>> >>>> Vikas Rawal writes: >>>> >>>>> Isn’t is what most users need while editing the code block? The >>>>> possibility of evaluating the code to test and see what happens? Often, but not always. And it would be seriously annoying to have the session buffer pop up every time I wanted to browse the code in a src block while simultaneously viewing the results of a previous invocation in the org buffer. As noted by others C-RET (or C-c C-n) on an empty line will make the session buffer visible. So will C-c C-z C-c C-z if you are in an ESS[S] mode buffer (and it will do that without trying to eval anything). There are any number of possibilities for customizing =org-edit-src-code= to your liking. For example, with this code C-c M-' will display the edit buffer and the session buffer as desired by Vikas: #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp (defun my-babel-edit-src (&optional code edit-buffer) (interactive) (org-edit-src-code code edit-buffer) (when (string= mode-name "ESS[S]") (let ((cb (current-buffer))) (ess-switch-to-ESS t) (switch-to-buffer-other-window cb)))) (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "\C-c\M-'") 'my-babel-edit-src) #+END_SRC There are loads of possibilities. Just hack away at that function to add stops and whistles. Personally, I find that the code in this thread: From: Andrew Kirkpatrick Subject: Jumping between source blocks in a file Archived-At: has done a lot to ease my browsing and manipulation of src blocks even though it displays the org buffer along with the edit buffer --- requiring me to key in C-c C-z C-c C-z to get the process buffer back in view. I suppose I could replace =org-edit-src-code= at the end of Andrew Kirkpatrick's =my-babel-src-jump= with =my-babel-src-code= to fix that. Maybe tomorrow... Best, Chuck