On Sat, 30 Apr 2016, Eike wrote: > > Hi, > > I have some code that uses `org-babel-insert-result' and I've found that > evaluating for example > > (org-babel-insert-result "a") > > results in an error. Although not explicitly marked as such, `org-babel-insert-result' seems intended as an internal function for processing babel RESULTs. > The reason is that `goto-char' is called with a nil > argument. When your snippet is in a src block or inline src block, there is no error. Also, no error when point is in a src block and you run the snippet with : M-x eval-expression RET (org-babel-insert-result "a") RET So, it looks like you are trying to evaluate the snippet above when point is not in a src block. AFAICS, there is no guarantee that such usage will succeed. Failure in such uses seems more like a feature than a bug. > I simply put the snippet in a `when' clause, but since the > function is quite large I'm not so sure if it's now doing always the > correct thing. At least my org files seem still to work…. > > I've added the patch in case it is ok to be applied. Maybe someone can > have a look at it. > See http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html for details on how to contribute. Also, running `make test' on new code is a good idea. If you can explain what you are trying to achieve, someone may suggest a fix that does not require retooling babel internals. Or if you can provide an ECM that suggests a bug in babel, then someone may suggest a better fix. HTH, Chuck