On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > > > Denis Bitouzé writes: > [...] > Markdown export back-end use :html conventions to translate entities. > For some reason, HTML prefers | over |, and so does markdown. > > There are a few options available: > > 1. Prefer | over | in HTML > 2. Overwrite "vert" entity with a new one that would do 1. So > basically, this is 1 but on your machine only. > 3. Use a new entity that becomes | when used in HTML export. > If this creates a backend derived from 'md (and does not modify ox-md.el), then fine. But, ... It seem like there are flavors of Markdown that use verticals for varying purposes. For example, rmarkdown http://rmarkdown.rstudio.com/authoring_pandoc_markdown.html uses them as `line block' markers and to construct `table.el' style tables. And I have seen verticals used to set off citations elsewhere. And I am not even sure what Denis meant by using them to `interpret strings'. Best, Chuck