* Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't
@ 2022-05-31  1:52 William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-05-31  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've had a problem lately that is related to folding headlines but I'm not sure
how to narrow it down (short of turning on debugging, which I can do).  I wonder
if anyone else has seen this kind of thing happen or can recommend something I
should look for or do when next it happens.

I was working on a file and did a SHIFT-RET to collapse all the headlines.  I
saw this, with a bit of text appearing in a headline where it shouldn't be:

https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/org-01.png

I went to the headline and hit RET.  It expanded, and now the bit of text was
appearing a sub headline:

https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/org-02.png

Expanding that headline shows what it looks like normally:

https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/org-03.png

The "Tidyverse" there is a link.  I think that's a part of the problem:  if I
remember right, every time I've seen this happen, it's a link that is displayed
out of place.

(This is with Emacs and Org built from source on 22 May; Org was at
8e69adabe2026.  Maybe it's been fixed since then but I haven't seen this
mentioned, so I thought I'd grab a screenshot while I could.)

Bill

--
William Denton
https://www.miskatonic.org/

* Re: Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't
@ 2022-05-31  5:18 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-31  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

> I've had a problem lately that is related to folding headlines but I'm not sure
> how to narrow it down (short of turning on debugging, which I can do).  I wonder
> if anyone else has seen this kind of thing happen or can recommend something I
> should look for or do when next it happens.
>
> I was working on a file and did a SHIFT-RET to collapse all the headlines.  I
> saw this, with a bit of text appearing in a headline where it shouldn't be:
>
> (This is with Emacs and Org built from source on 22 May; Org was at
> 8e69adabe2026.  Maybe it's been fixed since then but I haven't seen this
> mentioned, so I thought I'd grab a screenshot while I could.)

For me, this looks like either a mixed installation (please post the
output of M-x org-version) or some third-party package misbehaving.

Can you try to open that file from emacs -Q? See
https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't
@ 2022-06-02 21:32   ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-06-02 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 31 May 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> For me, this looks like either a mixed installation (please post the
> output of M-x org-version) or some third-party package misbehaving.

M-x org-version says:

Org mode version 9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-511-g8e69ad @ /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/)

> Can you try to open that file from emacs -Q? See
> https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html

It's not just that file, it's been happening recently with almost all my Org
files, now and then.  I'll try with -Q and work on a file for a while and see if
I can recreate the problem.

Is there anything from all your excellent folding work that would let me check
some value or variable that would be helpful when I see such a problem?  Some
way of inspecting the state of something that might be useful?

Thanks,

Bill

--

@ 2022-06-03  6:30     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-06-03  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

>> For me, this looks like either a mixed installation (please post the
>> output of M-x org-version) or some third-party package misbehaving.
>
> M-x org-version says:
>
> Org mode version 9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-511-g8e69ad @ /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/)

Is /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/ the folder where you installed the
latest Org version? (If not, this is likely the problem or part of the
problem).

>> Can you try to open that file from emacs -Q? See
>> https://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html
>
> It's not just that file, it's been happening recently with almost all my Org
> files, now and then.  I'll try with -Q and work on a file for a while and see if
> I can recreate the problem.

Does it happen with a specific link type? All the links?

For context, your problem is certainly not reproducible on my side, so
it is likely something about your installation/packages.

> Is there anything from all your excellent folding work that would let me check
> some value or variable that would be helpful when I see such a problem?  Some
> way of inspecting the state of something that might be useful?

Usually, the problem you are seeing is when something is interfering
with 'invisible text property of links/other folded text.

Can you post the value of org-link-parameters on your system?

You may also put the cursor onto unexpectedly visible link and check the
output of M-x describe-text-properties. Then, put the cursor right after
the link and run M-x describe-text-properties again. Then, share the
output.

If you don't have time to dig into the problem, you can also set
org-fold-core-style to 'overlays in your config to activate legacy
folding support. It will most likely solve the immediate issue on your
side and let you work on more pressing things involving your Org
workflow.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: Folded headlines with text showing where it shouldn't
@ 2022-07-12  4:25       ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2022-07-12  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 3 June 2022, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:
>
>>> For me, this looks like either a mixed installation (please post the
>>> output of M-x org-version) or some third-party package misbehaving.
>>
>> M-x org-version says:
>>
>> Org mode version 9.5.3 (release_9.5.3-511-g8e69ad @ /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/)
>
> Is /usr/local/src/org-mode/lisp/ the folder where you installed the
> latest Org version? (If not, this is likely the problem or part of the
> problem).

First of all, thanks for following up on this---I'm slow to respond, but
appreciate your help in narrowing this down.  The problem's been happening
again, and tonight I can follow up with some details.

That directory is where I installed Org.  It's where I pull down the source tree
with Git.

> Usually, the problem you are seeing is when something is interfering
> with 'invisible text property of links/other folded text.
>
> Can you post the value of org-link-parameters on your system?

This is a new variable to me!  I've never done anything with it, but it's got a
lot in it.

Value:
(("attachment" :follow org-attach-follow :complete org-attach-complete-link)
  ("eww" :follow org-eww-open :store org-eww-store-link)
  ("rmail" :follow org-rmail-open :store org-rmail-store-link)
  ("mhe" :follow org-mhe-open :store org-mhe-store-link)
  ("irc" :follow org-irc-visit :store org-irc-store-link :export org-irc-export)
  ("info" :follow org-info-open :export org-info-export :store org-info-store-link)
  ("gnus" :follow org-gnus-open :store org-gnus-store-link)
  ("docview" :follow org-docview-open :export org-docview-export :store org-docview-store-link)
  ("bibtex" :follow org-bibtex-open :store org-bibtex-store-link)
  ("bbdb" :follow org-bbdb-open :export org-bbdb-export :complete org-bbdb-complete-link :store org-bbdb-store-link)
  ("w3m" :store org-w3m-store-link)
  ("doi" :follow org-link-doi-open :export org-link-doi-export)
  ("id" :follow org-id-open)
  ("file+sys")
  ("file+emacs")
  ("shell" :follow org-link--open-shell)
  (#1="news" :follow #f(compiled-function
 		       (url arg)
 		       #<bytecode 0x1c1aa6da4fa92ba8>))
  (#3="mailto" :follow #f(compiled-function
 			 (url arg)
 			 #<bytecode 0x1c1ab340674adba8>))
  (#6="https" :follow #f(compiled-function
 			(url arg)
 			#<bytecode 0x1c1aa589ba5aeba8>))
  (#7="http" :follow #f(compiled-function
 		       (url arg)
 		       #<bytecode 0x1c1aa6d80c405ba8>))
  (#8="ftp" :follow #f(compiled-function
 		      (url arg)
 		      #<bytecode 0x1c1aa6d169685ba8>))
  ("help" :follow org-link--open-help :store org-link--store-help)
  ("file" :complete org-link-complete-file)
  ("elisp" :follow org-link--open-elisp))
Original value was nil

> You may also put the cursor onto unexpectedly visible link and check the
> output of M-x describe-text-properties. Then, put the cursor right after
> the link and run M-x describe-text-properties again. Then, share the
> output.

Here's a screenshot of the problem I get:

https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/org-problem.png

And here's the output of describe-text-properties when the pointer is in the
link that shouldn't be there:

Text content at position 56157:

There are 3 overlays here:
  From 55909 to 56345
   face                 hl-line
   priority             -50
   window               #<window 9 on reading-diary.org>
  From 56149 to 56170
   evaporate            t
   invisible            org-link
   isearch-open-invisible delete-overlay
   org-invisible        org-link
   priority             1
  From 56151 to 56168
   evaporate            t
   invisible            org-link-description
   isearch-open-invisible ignore
   isearch-open-invisible-temporary ignore
   org-invisible        org-link-description
   priority             2

There are text properties here:
   face                 org-link
   font-lock-multiline  t
   fontified            t
   help-echo            "LINK: fig_rereading_pct"
   htmlize-link         (:uri "fig_rereading_pct")
   isearch-open-invisible org-fold-core--isearch-show
   isearch-open-invisible-temporary org-fold-core--isearch-show-temporary
   keymap               [Show]
   line-prefix          [Show]
   mouse-face           highlight
   org-fold--spec-org-fold-outline--876068932062118346 org-fold-outline
   org-fold--spec-org-link-description-global org-link-description
   org-fold--spec-org-link-global org-link
   wrap-prefix          [Show]

> If you don't have time to dig into the problem, you can also set
> org-fold-core-style to 'overlays in your config to activate legacy
> folding support. It will most likely solve the immediate issue on your
> side and let you work on more pressing things involving your Org
> workflow.

I've changed this (which was also mentioned in another thread yesterday) and
will try it out for a while to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again,

Bill

--

@ 2022-07-12  5:58         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-07-12  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Denton; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

William Denton <wtd@pobox.com> writes:

>> Usually, the problem you are seeing is when something is interfering
>> with 'invisible text property of links/other folded text.
>>
>> Can you post the value of org-link-parameters on your system?
>
> This is a new variable to me!  I've never done anything with it, but it's got a
> lot in it.
>
> Value:
> (("attachment" :follow org-attach-follow :complete org-attach-complete-link)
>   ("eww" :follow org-eww-open :store org-eww-store-link)
> ..

This is the default value.

>> You may also put the cursor onto unexpectedly visible link and check the
>> output of M-x describe-text-properties. Then, put the cursor right after
>> the link and run M-x describe-text-properties again. Then, share the
>> output.
>
> Here's a screenshot of the problem I get:
>
> https://www.miskatonic.org/tmp/org-problem.png
>
> And here's the output of describe-text-properties when the pointer is in the
> link that shouldn't be there:
>
> Text content at position 56157:
> There are 3 overlays here:
>   From 56151 to 56168
>    evaporate            t
>    invisible            org-link-description
>    isearch-open-invisible ignore
>    isearch-open-invisible-temporary ignore
>    org-invisible        org-link-description
>    priority             2

This is curious. Did the problem reveal itself after you used isearch
(C-s)? Do you happen to use some non-standard search package (like
evil)?

If you happen to see this issue again, what is the value of
org-fold-core--isearch-overlays inside that buffer?

Best,
Ihor