* Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-26 18:32 Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-26 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

If I f.ex make a beautiful table in org-mode:

|-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
| foo | bar | xyzzy | hukarz |                         |
| qux |     | corge | grault | garply waldo fred plugh |
| baz |     |       |        |                         |
|-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|

 , it's not so beautiful anymore if I send it in an email.

Is it not possible to force these spacings as space?

I guess this is gnus fault, but I'm not really sure.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-26 18:56 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-03-26 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-03-26 at 14:32, Esben Stien wrote:
> If I f.ex make a beautiful table in org-mode:
>
> |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
> | foo | bar | xyzzy | hukarz |                         |
> | qux |     | corge | grault | garply waldo fred plugh |
> | baz |     |       |        |                         |
> |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
>
>  , it's not so beautiful anymore if I send it in an email.
>
> Is it not possible to force these spacings as space?
>
> I guess this is gnus fault, but I'm not really sure.

Looks perfect to me. I'm using fixed-width font in my email
client. Changing tabs to spaces won't solve bad looking tables because
most people use variable-width fonts. Nothing you can do about that.

You can also use mu4e and compose emails in an Org minor-mode
(includes babel and everything!) and convert emails to HTML when sent
(and include a plain-text copy too). I think that would be the best
bet of having a table look good to the recipient. See "Org Mode
Example" section at bottom of
http://www.brool.com/index.php/using-mu4e

  -k.

* Re: Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-26 19:13 ` William Denton
From: William Denton @ 2014-03-26 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 26 March 2014, Esben Stien wrote:

> |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
> | foo | bar | xyzzy | hukarz |                         |
> | qux |     | corge | grault | garply waldo fred plugh |
> | baz |     |       |        |                         |
> |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
>
> , it's not so beautiful anymore if I send it in an email.

It looks fine in my monospaced font---isn't it just a matter of formatting when
you paste it into your preferred email client?

Bill
--
▮ William Denton ▮ Toronto, Canada ▮ http://www.miskatonic.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-27  1:19   ` Esben Stien
From: Esben Stien @ 2014-03-27  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Mankoff; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> writes:

> Looks perfect to me.

Yeah, it seems it's because of non mono font, but I didn't think it
would be that drastic difference.

, but I confirmed it, by copying something I sent to a person with a
gmail account into my emacs and it was perfect again.

I guess this issue doesn't really have a solution, other than sending it
as html.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m

* Re: Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-27  3:35     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2014-03-27  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Esben Stien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Ken Mankoff

tell him or her to click on "show original".

or export to tsv, which will sometimes work.

* Re: Space in Exported Text
@ 2014-03-28  8:17   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2014-03-28  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2014-03-26, o godz. 14:56:08
Ken Mankoff <mankoff@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On 2014-03-26 at 14:32, Esben Stien wrote:
> > If I f.ex make a beautiful table in org-mode:
> >
> > |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
> > | foo | bar | xyzzy | hukarz |                         |
> > | qux |     | corge | grault | garply waldo fred plugh |
> > | baz |     |       |        |                         |
> > |-----+-----+-------+--------+-------------------------|
> >
> >  , it's not so beautiful anymore if I send it in an email.
> >
> > Is it not possible to force these spacings as space?
> >
> > I guess this is gnus fault, but I'm not really sure.
>
> Looks perfect to me. I'm using fixed-width font in my email
> client. Changing tabs to spaces won't solve bad looking tables because
> most people use variable-width fonts. Nothing you can do about that.

Terrible choice: HTML emails are evil.  Monospace fonts are illegal.

https://twitter.com/xor/status/432710872117428224

"New evidence suggests that Manning, Snowden, and Assange each used a
powerful tool called monospace fonts.  Unlike the fonts innocent
Americans are familiar with, the 'monospace' fonts preferred by hackers
are most associated with cybercrime."

:)

--
Marcin Borkowski