From: Paolo Petta <paolo.petta@ofai.at>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Minor request: full support of "ESC" as Meta key
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 02:15:32 +0200 (CEST)	[thread overview]

[Dear moderator:
  this is of course a minor remark, and it is clearly not up to me to
  decide whether it is worth while being recorded at all, let alone
  being spread to the mailing list!
  But I still do hope it is not considered a downright abuse of your time!]

I only just started to look into Org: As "OS-hopper" using emacs
regularly on different versions of Linux, Windows, and Mac OS, the
comprehensive cross-platform support that Org promises is highly
appealing.

But trying to use Org relying on the Escape key as 'Meta', I discovered
that Org's support in this regard is currently spotty. While for some
key combinations both the [?\e (...)] and the [(meta ...)] variants are
defined, it is only the [(meta ...)] definitions that are fully covered.
For example, org-insert-todo-heading - one of the very first
org-specific key-combinations introduced in the very useful Org tutorial
- is mapped only to [(meta shift return)], the "ESC-based" equivalent
[?\e (shift return)] is missing (org.el, line 13905).

While I've tried to patch up org.el the best I could with the missing
keymap definitions (and so far I have not run into problems), I am not
proficient enough an elisp programmer to dare provide my fixes: e.g. I'm
not at all sure to have made the correct additions to the section
introduced with the comment
  ";; Special treatment needed for TAB and RET" on line 6836 of org.el;
the specification of disputed keys on line 331ff in org.el would be
another example.

I would therefore like to ask to please consider putting 'full' coverage
for both keymap variants on the todo list for an upcoming release.

With many thanks in advance!

Paolo
--
Paolo Petta                                         +43-1-5336112-12(Tel)
Austrian Research Inst. for Artificial Intelligence +43-1-5336112-77(Fax)