* basic checklist getting more complex
@ 2014-07-26 23:10 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2014-07-26 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I put together a basic checklist for a familymember and was asked to
categorize all items in the list and then to priortize all items in each
category.  I've never done either of these things to a basic checklist so
figured to ask what's the best way to do this so each item in the list
once categorized and prioritized doesn't loose its category or priority if
the checklist items somehow get out of order for some reason.
I could use single level headlines for categories but if the document
looses any one of those headlines, the category structure is degraded.

If a cannonical emacs-orgmode procedure exists for doing these things and
it's already documented I could use an url pointing to the material if
anyone knows of one.

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>

* Re: basic checklist getting more complex
@ 2014-07-26 23:29 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-07-26 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> writes:

> I put together a basic checklist for a familymember and was asked to
> categorize all items in the list and then to priortize all items in each
> category.  I've never done either of these things to a basic checklist so
> figured to ask what's the best way to do this so each item in the list
> once categorized and prioritized doesn't loose its category or priority if
> the checklist items somehow get out of order for some reason.
> I could use single level headlines for categories but if the document
> looses any one of those headlines, the category structure is degraded.
>
> If a cannonical emacs-orgmode procedure exists for doing these things and
> it's already documented I could use an url pointing to the material if
> anyone knows of one.

Mmhh, since you cannot apply tags and proprities to checklist items
AFAIK, it seems you already gave the canonical procedure yourself:

put the checklists in subtrees with tags (=categories) and further
subsubtrees with different priorities (or vice versa).

Why would you eliminate the subtrees later, when they are still needed?

--
cheers,
Thorsten