* Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-01  1:42 Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2007-09-01  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I attach a test file for some problems in org-5.07 when using
property names with characters like á é í...

Greetings,
Daniel

[-- Attachment #2: bug-properties.org --]

Test file for properties with characters other than [a-zA-Z0-9]: áéíóú etc.

* Libros
:PROPERTIES:
  :Título:
  :Editorial:
  :Tipo:
  :Tipo_ALL: novela técnico referencia
  :Núm_páginas:
  :Leído:
  :Leído_ALL: sí no
:END:

** LaTeX
:PROPERTIES:
   :Título: LaTeX para tontos
   :Editorial: B
   :Tipo:     técnico
   :Leído: sí
:END:

* problems
  With org-mode 5.07.

 - [ ] „Leído_ALL“ at the definition and „Título“ at the section should be colored, just like the other fields
 - [ ] when writing the fields of the sections, writing „:N“ and pressing M-Tab should autocomplete „:Núm_páginas:“, just as „:E“ autocompletes to „:Editorial:“
 - [ ] go to the „:Leído: sí“ at the section and press S+Left/Right. It should change from „sí“ to „no“, just like the field „:Tipo:“, which changes

   Cause of all: probably the regexp at org-buffer-property-keys.

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-01 10:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-01 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 1, 2007, at 3:42, Daniel Clemente wrote:

> Hi, I attach a test file for some problems in org-5.07 when using
> property names with characters like á é í...

Hi Daniel,

yes, I can make the property regexps recognize non-ascii letters.

There are two issues here:

1. You are also using a dash-like character, \o4255.  The Emacs
[:alnum:] class
    does not match this, therefore this character will continue not to be
    recognized.  Use the underscore in property names, I am supporting
this.

2. Think twice before using non-ascii characters in property names.
    This will make you file non-portable.  If you send it to someone
    living in a different locale, he/she might find the file broken.

- Carsten

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-01 20:30   ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2007-09-01 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

  Hi,

> There are two issues here:
>
> 1. You are also using a dash-like character, \o4255.  The Emacs
> [:alnum:] class
>     does not match this, therefore this character will continue not to be
>     recognized.  Use the underscore in property names, I am supporting
> this.

   Mmm... I used the normal underscore, _ (95, #o137, #x5f, U+005F). I
don't find \o4255.

> 2. Think twice before using non-ascii characters in property names.
>     This will make you file non-portable.  If you send it to someone
>     living in a different locale, he/she might find the file broken.

   ASCII doesn't work with my language (ex: Spanish); therefore I don't use it.
   But what I used is Unicode, and I wouldn't call it „non-portable"
nowadays (it works everywhere on the Internet and operating systems).
Even if „there can be programs which don't support Unicode", that's
not a reason to not using Unicode; what we must do --in my opinion--
is fix the programs.

   Greetings,
Daniel

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-02 17:55     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-02 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Clemente; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 1, 2007, at 22:30, Daniel Clemente wrote:

>   Hi,
>

>> There are two issues here:
>>
>> 1. You are also using a dash-like character, \o4255.  The Emacs
>> [:alnum:] class
>>     does not match this, therefore this character will continue not
>> to be
>>     recognized.  Use the underscore in property names, I am supporting
>> this.
>
>    Mmm... I used the normal underscore, _ (95, #o137, #x5f, U+005F). I
> don't find \o4255.
>

>> 2. Think twice before using non-ascii characters in property names.
>>     This will make you file non-portable.  If you send it to someone
>>     living in a different locale, he/she might find the file broken.
>>
>    ASCII doesn't work with my language (ex: Spanish); therefore I
> don't use it.
>    But what I used is Unicode, and I wouldn't call it „non-portable"
> nowadays (it works everywhere on the Internet and operating systems).
> Even if „there can be programs which don't support Unicode", that's
> not a reason to not using Unicode; what we must do --in my opinion--
> is fix the programs.

I agree, but it is a fact that text you sent me did not look at all
like spanish, but pretty much garbled.

Anyway, 5.08 will allow [[:alnum:]-_] for properties.

- Carsten

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-02 21:42       ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-09-02 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten

On 9/2/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> I agree, but it is a fact that text you sent me did not look at all
> like spanish, but pretty much garbled.

Daniel's file (bug-properties.org) looked fine to me (although it did
have strange German-style speech marks). My emacs (22.1.1)
automatically recognised it as utf8. Strange that yours didn't...

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-03  7:26         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-03  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Henney; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 2, 2007, at 23:42, William Henney wrote:

> Hi Carsten
>
> On 9/2/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
>> I agree, but it is a fact that text you sent me did not look at all
>> like spanish, but pretty much garbled.
>
> Daniel's file (bug-properties.org) looked fine to me (although it did
> have strange German-style speech marks). My emacs (22.1.1)
> automatically recognised it as utf8. Strange that yours didn't...

Yes, strange.  22.1 here as well, under Mac OSX.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Bug with Unicode text on properties
@ 2007-09-03 16:08           ` William Henney
From: William Henney @ 2007-09-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 9/3/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> On Sep 2, 2007, at 23:42, William Henney wrote:
> > On 9/2/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> >> I agree, but it is a fact that text you sent me did not look at all
> >> like spanish, but pretty much garbled.
> >
> > Daniel's file (bug-properties.org) looked fine to me (although it did
> > have strange German-style speech marks). My emacs (22.1.1)
> > automatically recognised it as utf8. Strange that yours didn't...
> >

> Yes, strange.  22.1 here as well, under Mac OSX.

To be more precise, I am using Aquamacs 1.1 on OS X 10.4.10 PPC G4.
However, I also tried it from the command line using the "-Q" option,
which supposedly turns off all the aquamacs-specific stuff, and it
still works (correctly identifies file as unicode).

Have you added an entry for org files to auto-coding-alist? Perhaps
"C-h C" (describe-coding-system") might help you debug it. Look at
"Priority order for recognizing coding systems when reading files".

Alternatively, maybe your mailer garbled the file when you saved it.

Cheers

Will

--

@ 2007-09-03 16:20         ` Daniel Clemente
From: Daniel Clemente @ 2007-09-03 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> On 9/2/07, Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> wrote:
> > I agree, but it is a fact that text you sent me did not look at all
> > like spanish, but pretty much garbled.
>
> Daniel's file (bug-properties.org) looked fine to me (although it did
> have strange German-style speech marks).

   I must say that I like „these quotes" more than "this ones". So
that wasn't a technical bug :-)

> My emacs (22.1.1)
> automatically recognised it as utf8. Strange that yours didn't...

  Some more things (which I forgot to send to the list):
   MD5: 3c7973375c78fdf4183d2d209b0b330a
   Wrote with emacs 22.1 on Debian.
   From the mailing list archive, the file can be correctly fetched:
http://cache.gmane.org//gmane/emacs/orgmode/2881-001.bin

   Anyway, the problem is not on org-mode, luckily.

   Greetings,
Daniel