* visibility cycling and different behavior of S-<TAB> and TAB
@ 2009-02-11 10:43 Spike Spiegel
From: Spike Spiegel @ 2009-02-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

running 6.21b and emacs 22.3 and given this outline:

* Tasks
** TODO aaa
** TODO bbb
*** xxxx
     blablablablbalblablalbl
*** yyyy
     yaddayaddayaddatadda

Starting with a folded view if I move onto "* Tasks" and hit <TAB> I see:

* Tasks
** TODO aaa
** TODO bbb

but with the same folded view, if I hit S-<TAB> I see:

* Tasks
** TODO aaa
** TODO bbb
*** xxxxx
*** yyyyy

is that the correct and expected behavior? I would expected to see the
exact same thing except that the cycling was happening for all item Vs
the one under the cursor. How can I make them behave the same?

Bonus question: under "* Tasks" I have "#+CATEGORY: something", is
there a way to hide that? Or in more generic words: is there a way to
hide properties even when everything is shown?

thanks

--
"Behind every great man there's a great backpack" - B.

* R: visibility cycling and different behavior of S-<TAB> and TAB
@ 2009-02-11 12:18 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-02-11 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Spike Spiegel

--- Mer 11/2/09, Spike Spiegel <fsmlab@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> running 6.21b and emacs 22.3 and given this outline:
>
> * Tasks
> #+CATEGORY: something
> ** TODO aaa
> ** TODO bbb
> *** xxxx
>      blablablablbalblablalbl
> *** yyyy
>      yaddayaddayaddatadda
[snip]
> Or in more generic words: is there a way to
> hide properties even when everything is shown?
* Tasks
:PROPERTIES:
:CATEGORY: something
:END:

will give:

* Tasks
:PROPERTIES:
  blah blah

is it enough?

cheers,
Giovanni

      Passa a Yahoo! Mail.

La webmail che ti offre GRATIS spazio illimitato,
antispam e messenger integrato.
http://it.mail..yahoo.com/

* Re: R: visibility cycling and different behavior of S-<TAB> and TAB
@ 2009-02-11 15:39   ` Spike Spiegel
From: Spike Spiegel @ 2009-02-11 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giovanni.ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Giovanni Ridolfi
<giovanni.ridolfi@yahoo.it> wrote:
> * Tasks
> :PROPERTIES:
> :CATEGORY: something
> :END:
>
> will give:
>
> * Tasks
> :PROPERTIES:
>  blah blah
>

> is it enough?

I guess it's better or would be better in the presence of several
properties, but I can't say it fully address the problem. From my
perspective  that's metadata and as such it shouldn't be visible when
you're dealing with the data, it just gets in the way for no good
reason. Without adding a step to the visibility cycling ruining its
simplicity and immediacy something along the lines of M-x
orgmode-toggle-metadata-visibility could be a nice addition.

thanks

--
"Behind every great man there's a great backpack" - B.