* Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20  8:11 Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-20  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
does not work.

If one could specify a list of tags from which to complete, it would be
great as well.

Thanks a lot,

Alan

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20  8:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-20  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
> does not work.

C-c C-q

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20  8:30   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-20  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
>> does not work.
>
> C-c C-q

Thanks a lot!

Is there a way to set-up the capture buffer so that tags may be
completed according to the ones present in another file?

Thanks again,

@ 2012-12-20  8:47     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-12-20  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

On 20.12.2012, at 09:30, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> Bastien writes:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>>
>>> Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
>>> does not work.
>>
>> C-c C-q
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Is there a way to set-up the capture buffer so that tags may be
> completed according to the ones present in another file?

You will be able to complete based on what is present in the target file, is that not good enough for any application?

- Carsten

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20  9:05       ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-20  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bastien, emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik writes:

> On 20.12.2012, at 09:30, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>> Is there a way to set-up the capture buffer so that tags may be
>> completed according to the ones present in another file?
>
> You will be able to complete based on what is present in the target
> file, is that not good enough for any application?

I guess it does not work well in my setup, which is as follows.

- My capture file is called "refile.org", and anything in it has to be
  refiled. This way I can easily add stuff on the go on my iPhone (using
  a macro in Nebulous Notes to add a "TODO" line and the current date at
  the bottom of the file).
- At my computer, I often refile on the fly (C-c C-w), then the tasks
  lands in todo.org (one of the two refiling targets, the other being
  maybe.org), where all the tags are.

So is there a way to tell capture to search for the tags in todo.org
instead of refile.org (which does not contain any)?

Thanks,

@ 2012-12-20 10:37         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-12-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> So is there a way to tell capture to search for the tags in todo.org
> instead of refile.org (which does not contain any)?

If refile.org does not contain any tags, the simple fix is to add the
tags in todo.org to refile.org.  Or am I missing something?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20 11:05           ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-20 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Bastien writes:

> Hi Alan,
>
> Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:
>
>> So is there a way to tell capture to search for the tags in todo.org
>> instead of refile.org (which does not contain any)?
>
> If refile.org does not contain any tags, the simple fix is to add the
> tags in todo.org to refile.org.  Or am I missing something?

Of course, I was looking in the wrong place. I was reading the
documentation for capture, but I found all I actually needed in "6.2,
Setting tags". I'll probably set up 'org-tag-alist' for this (I just
discovered one can also have tag shortcuts, nice!)

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction,

@ 2012-12-20 11:56         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-12-20 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Carsten Dominik writes:
>
>> On 20.12.2012, at 09:30, Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>>> Is there a way to set-up the capture buffer so that tags may be
>>> completed according to the ones present in another file?
>>
>> You will be able to complete based on what is present in the target
>> file, is that not good enough for any application?
>
> I guess it does not work well in my setup, which is as follows.
>
> - My capture file is called "refile.org", and anything in it has to be
>   refiled. This way I can easily add stuff on the go on my iPhone (using
>   a macro in Nebulous Notes to add a "TODO" line and the current date at
>   the bottom of the file).
> - At my computer, I often refile on the fly (C-c C-w), then the tasks
>   lands in todo.org (one of the two refiling targets, the other being
>   maybe.org), where all the tags are.
>
> So is there a way to tell capture to search for the tags in todo.org
> instead of refile.org (which does not contain any)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan

What would be nice would for org-tag-alist to allow org files to be
included so all tags in those were enabled too.

--
Sent using Emacs/Gnus from home ...

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20 16:21           ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2012-12-20 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 20 Dec 2012 06:56, "Richard Riley" <rileyrg@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip context>

> What would be nice would for org-tag-alist to allow org files to be
> included so all tags in those were enabled too.

Oh, yes please!

Brian vdB

* Re: Adding tags when capturing?
@ 2012-12-20 17:02 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2012-12-20 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Schmitt; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Alan Schmitt <
alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
> does not work.
>
> If one could specify a list of tags from which to complete, it would be
> great as well.

Are you using a template? I might be missing something, but it seems that
orgmode already does this. Here's my todo template:

-----
    ("t" "task" entry (file+headline "~/org/projects.org" "Tasks")
         "* todo %? %^g\n%u" :prepend t)
-----

the =%^g= option has the capture window prompt for tags right away. Lower
case g auto-completes for tags in the target file. =%^G= auto-completes
with tags in any file in the agenda list.
- http://orgmode.org/manual/Template-expansion.html#Template-expansion

Will that do what you're looking for?

John

@ 2012-12-20 22:29   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2012-12-20 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy writes:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 2:11 AM, Alan Schmitt <
> alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a shortcut to add tags when doing a capture? C-c C-c obviously
>> does not work.
>>
>> If one could specify a list of tags from which to complete, it would be
>> great as well.
>>

> Are you using a template? I might be missing something, but it seems that
> orgmode already does this. Here's my todo template:
>
> -----
>     ("t" "task" entry (file+headline "~/org/projects.org" "Tasks")
>          "* todo %? %^g\n%u" :prepend t)
> -----
>
> the =%^g= option has the capture window prompt for tags right away. Lower
> case g auto-completes for tags in the target file. =%^G= auto-completes
> with tags in any file in the agenda list.
> - http://orgmode.org/manual/Template-expansion.html#Template-expansion
>
> Will that do what you're looking for?

I'm using a (very simple) template, and this gives me some great ideas
on how to improve it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Alan