* workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 15:04 Rich E
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rich E @ 2009-02-05 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between TODO and DONE
in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the manual for how
to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.  Here is the
code I have in my .emacs file:

(setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE")
      org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)

Here is my todo item:

** TODO make testing scripts

..I then hit C-c C-t and I get:

** VERIFY make testing scripts

.. but VERIFY is not color coded or bold, like TODO and DONE.  I then
hit C-c C-t again and get:

** TODO VERIFY make testing scripts

.. and I hit it again and get:

** TODO VERIFY VERIFY make testing scripts

.. where VERIFY is never bold or color coded.

anyone know how to do what I am trying? It seems basic enough.
regards,
Rich

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 15:25 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2009-02-05 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode, Rich E

--- Gio 5/2/09, Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between
> TODO and DONE
> in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the
> manual for how
> to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.
> Here is the
> code I have in my .emacs file:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO"
> "VERIFY" "DONE")
>       org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)

1. in the manual is different:

(setq org-todo-keywords
       '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE" )))

does the one of the manual work?

2. did you reload your .emacs after this change?
3. did you restarted emacs?

for such issue please have a look at the the emails
of this morning.

cheers
Giovanni

      Passa a Yahoo! Mail.

La webmail che ti offre GRATIS spazio illimitato,
antispam e messenger integrato.
http://it.mail..yahoo.com/

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 15:30 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-05 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between TODO and DONE
> in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the manual for how
> to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.  Here is the
> code I have in my .emacs file:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE")
>       org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)

<snip>

> anyone know how to do what I am trying? It seems basic enough.
> regards,

Hi Rich,

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))

If you want specific colours you can add something like this:

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
			       ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
			       ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))

You'll need to reload the vars in your org file for changes to take
effect.  I have a

  #+STARTUP: showall

at the top of each of my files and I just C-c C-c on it.

HTH,
Bernt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 15:36 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-02-05 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Rich,

Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between TODO and DONE
> in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the manual for how
> to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.  Here is the
> code I have in my .emacs file:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE")
>       org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)

Which version of org-mode are you using?

I believe the settings above are for older versions of org-mode (e.g.,
4.67).

Try the following and see what happens:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))

Regards,

Matt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 15:49   ` Rich E
From: Rich E @ 2009-02-05 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I am using version 4.6.7c.

The following code:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))

gives the error "Wrong type argument: integerp, sequence"

This code:

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
                              ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
                              ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))

works just like the default on my computer.. I do not get a VERIFY,
just a cycle between TODO, DONE, and nothing.

Maybe I need to update my org-mode?

Thanks for the fast responses..
rich

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:

> Hi Rich,
>
> Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between TODO and DONE
>> in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the manual for how
>> to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.  Here is the
>> code I have in my .emacs file:
>>
>> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE")
>>       org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)
>>

> Which version of org-mode are you using?
>
> I believe the settings above are for older versions of org-mode (e.g.,
> 4.67).
>
> Try the following and see what happens:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))
>
> Regards,
>
> Matt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 16:52     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-05 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah that's ancient... :)

4.67  is from Jan 31 2008
6.21b is from Feb  2 2009

And there have been 134 releases between these two versions...

You should upgrade to something recent and try again.

-Bernt

Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:

> I am using version 4.6.7c.
>
> The following code:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))
>
> gives the error "Wrong type argument: integerp, sequence"
>
> This code:
>
> (setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
>                               ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
>                               ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))
>
> works just like the default on my computer.. I do not get a VERIFY,
> just a cycle between TODO, DONE, and nothing.
>
> Maybe I need to update my org-mode?
>
> Thanks for the fast responses..
> rich
>
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to simply add a VERIFY workflow state between TODO and DONE
>>> in my org files.  I am looking at section 5.2.1 of the manual for how
>>> to do this, but it is not working like I would expect.  Here is the
>>> code I have in my .emacs file:
>>>
>>> (setq org-todo-keywords '("TODO" "VERIFY" "DONE")
>>>       org-todo-interpretation 'sequence)
>>>

>> Which version of org-mode are you using?
>>
>> I believe the settings above are for older versions of org-mode (e.g.,
>> 4.67).
>>
>> Try the following and see what happens:
>>
>> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Matt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 18:14       ` Rich E
From: Rich E @ 2009-02-05 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Upgraded.  I can now get the VERIFY with the following code:

(setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))

.. but I the code below does not give me a VERIFY (but it does give me
nice colors, which I like :)

(setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
                             ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
                             ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))

Sorry for all the questions about these things that I would probably
know how to do if I knew lisp, but I don't :)  Thanks for the help!

- Rich

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
> Ah that's ancient... :)
>
> 4.67  is from Jan 31 2008
> 6.21b is from Feb  2 2009
>
> And there have been 134 releases between these two versions...
>
> You should upgrade to something recent and try again.
>
> -Bernt
>

> Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am using version 4.6.7c.
>>
>> The following code:
>>
>> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))
>>
>> gives the error "Wrong type argument: integerp, sequence"
>>
>> This code:
>>
>> (setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
>>                               ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
>>                               ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))
>>
>> works just like the default on my computer.. I do not get a VERIFY,
>> just a cycle between TODO, DONE, and nothing.
>>
>> Maybe I need to update my org-mode?
>>
>> Thanks for the fast responses..
>> rich
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rich,

>>> Which version of org-mode are you using?
>>>
>>> I believe the settings above are for older versions of org-mode (e.g.,
>>> 4.67).
>>>
>>> Try the following and see what happens:
>>>
>>> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Matt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 18:18         ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-02-05 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich E; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Rich E <reakinator@gmail.com> writes:

> Upgraded.  I can now get the VERIFY with the following code:
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords '((sequence "TODO" "VERIFY" "|" "DONE")))

You should be able to cycle between todo states with S-left arrow or
S-right arrow.

> .. but I the code below does not give me a VERIFY (but it does give me
> nice colors, which I like :)
>
> (setq org-todo-keyword-faces '(("TODO" :foreground "blue" :weight bold)
>                              ("VERIFY" :foreground "red" :weight bold)
>                              ("DONE" :foreground "forest green" :weight bold)))

I'm confused.  All org-todo-keyword-faces does is specify colors for the
TODO keywords... what's not working?

> Sorry for all the questions about these things that I would probably
> know how to do if I knew lisp, but I don't :)  Thanks for the help!

No need to be sorry - this list is here to help people with org-mode
usage.

-Bernt

* Re: workflow states
@ 2009-02-05 18:46           ` Rich E
From: Rich E @ 2009-02-05 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah, I didn't think about trying both lines of code at the same time :)
 You see, i am a copy/paste guy.. some times I don't see the subtle
yet important things like org-todo-keywords as compared to
org-todo-faces, hehe.  Everything works beautifully now, much
appreciated.

cheers,
Rich