* [FR] Archive subtree with parent structure
@ 2014-05-28  8:18 Florian Lindner
From: Florian Lindner @ 2014-05-28  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

org-archive-subtree archives a subtree.

* A
** AA
*** AAA
** AB
*** ABA

Archiving AA will remove the subtree from the original file and create
it like that in archive target:

* AA
** AAA

What I want (wish for) is to create it like that in the archive target:

* A
** AA
*** AAA

If I also archive AB after that, it gets inserted in the structure which
is now identical to the structure we started with.

Use case: I tend to archive small pieces of a project's subtree long
before I'm ready to archive the entire project. This way I build (want
to build) an archived mirror of the project's subtree bit by bit.

Thanks a lot to the org-mode developers.

* Re: [FR] Archive subtree with parent structure
@ 2014-05-28 19:39 ` Bastien
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2014-05-28 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Lindner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Florian,

> If I also archive AB after that, it gets inserted in the structure which
> is now identical to the structure we started with.

FR noted, thanks.  I'm curious to see if people would really find this
a good option, as I like having my archives stored as flat entries.

If someone wants to give this a try, please go ahead.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [FR] Archive subtree with parent structure
@ 2014-05-28 19:49   ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-05-28 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Florian Lindner, emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-28 at 15:39, Bastien wrote:
>> If I also archive AB after that, it gets inserted in the structure which
>> is now identical to the structure we started with.
>
> FR noted, thanks.  I'm curious to see if people would really find this
> a good option, as I like having my archives stored as flat entries.

+1.

I'd find this useful. I would like archives to exactly mimic source, and
I also archive sub-tasks and items throughout a project, not just the
entire project when I'm done with it.

Currently my archive setup is:

;; http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#sec-1-7-1
(setq org-archive-location (concat org-directory "/archive/%s_archive::* Archived Tasks"))
;; Archive to archive/foo.org_archive and then under the existing header
(defadvice org-archive-subtree (around my-org-archive-subtree activate)
  (let ((org-archive-location
         (if (save-excursion (org-back-to-heading)
                             (> (org-outline-level) 1))
             (concat (car (split-string org-archive-location "::"))
                     "::* "
                     (car (org-get-outline-path)))
           org-archive-location)))
    ad-do-it))

  -k.

* Re: [FR] Archive subtree with parent structure
@ 2014-05-29  8:29   ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2014-05-29  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Florian Lindner, emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-28 21:39, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Florian,

>> If I also archive AB after that, it gets inserted in the structure which
>> is now identical to the structure we started with.
>
> FR noted, thanks.  I'm curious to see if people would really find this
> a good option, as I like having my archives stored as flat entries.

I would also prefer to have my archives hierarchical, for the following
reason. I like to archive projects as a whole thing (with the recorded
done tasks and the notes). A flat archiving system prevents me from
archiving anything until the project is done, which is problematic for
long running projects. Having hierarchical archiving would allow me to
trim these projects from their done tasks.

Alan

* Re: [FR] Archive subtree with parent structure
@ 2014-05-29  8:42   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2014-05-29  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien writes:
>> If I also archive AB after that, it gets inserted in the structure which
>> is now identical to the structure we started with.
>
> FR noted, thanks.  I'm curious to see if people would really find this
> a good option, as I like having my archives stored as flat entries.

I have Org files that would benefit from hierarchical archiving
(i.e. the archive and the current file need to have the same structure).
At the moment I archive "inline" for this very reason, but of course
that means the file will get bigger and bigger.

> If someone wants to give this a try, please go ahead.

I'm out of round tuits at the moment… :-(

Regards,
Achim.