From: Philipp Kiefer <phil.kiefer@gmail.com>
To: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Make org-paste-subtree more predictable and useful
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:31:47 +0100	[thread overview]

I've uploaded two screencasts to illustrate the issues described in my
last message:

1. Org Mode-paste subtree low-level item swallowed:
https://imgur.com/a/CZ5lDaH . This relates to what I assume the passage
from the manual is trying to say should not happen:

"makes sure that the subtree
remains an independent subtree and does not swallow low level entries."

2. Org Mode-paste subtree on empty heading glitch:
https://imgur.com/a/AT5pDj6 . See my last message.

Further, you suggest I use C-S-<right> to demote the subtree after
pasting it at the same level as the subtree at point. But what if I used
a numerical prefix argument to copy or cut several subtrees, maybe 5 or
10? Not very convenient at all to demote them all by hand...

I still hold that pasting headings / subtress either at the same level
or at the child level of the target heading is part of the bread and
butter of outline editing and should be as straightforward as possible.
I'm rather sure the current numeric prefixes of org-paste-subtree to
select a distinct level at which to paste are needed / used much less
frequently than a "paste at child level" prefix (maybe C-u C-u?) would
be if it was implemented.

Best

Philipp