That odd new character just showed up after a normal daily org-mode 'git pull'. The Symbola.ttf font worked fine. I used this page for for instructions. https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install-and-manage-fonts-on-linux After copying the font to ~/.local/share/font/ and running the 'fc-cache -vf' command ... The font appears after emacs + org-mode are restarted. (I did not need to run set-fontset-font.) Somewhere in there I also pulled fresh org-mode and emacs code and rebuilt; am not sure if that was needed. Here is how that screen now appears: * Would using the ASCII '<' character be a better solution? * Is anyone else seeing this issue and missing font? * What would allow that Symbola font to be available? * Is that Symbola font, or equivalent, now a true dependency? Or is there something more common which I should be using? (Perhaps I have missed a normal configuration step?) Thank you! On 7/12/22 12:58, Juan Manuel MacĂ­as wrote: > Hi, > > Daniel Ortmann writes: > >> Any clues where this particular symbol resides? A hint about the >> package name would wonderful. :-) > To be able to display "unusual" symbols in Emacs, I usually use the > symbola font: > > You can download it here: > > https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://fontlibrary.org/en/font/symbola__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!LCWutd87ZOlNkSgFTjjR0zYsqhv6xP6ZBep63lyK7tIveH2MWiQ331YB8rJexEVU6gjcjT99EdYoJvFPvxABlZvT$ > > And then: > > (set-fontset-font t 'symbol (font-spec :family "Symbola")) > > But I think that what is interesting here is to know how that character > has arrived. Could it be related to some new package you have installed > lately? > > Best regards, > > Juan Manuel